Gym for the first time tomorrow morning... HELP!

Options
13»

Replies

• jpfost
    jpfost Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Every gym i have been to has sombody there to answer your questions about the machines, and give you kinda of an idea what you need to.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have no idea where to start. Any advice is welcome!!

Do I eat before or after? What machines should I use? I am looking to lose weight and strengthen muscles

Often gyms will give induction sessions when a person goes to the gym for the first time. They will show you how to use the machines and what sort of reps and how many to do. This gives you an idea of what to do and you gradually can adapt it to suit your needs.

When a person is genuinely interested in any subject, they will mop up any information on it like crazy (just goes to show what we are all really capable of really, doesn't it lol).

The other thing you could do is to hire one of their personal Trainers for one or two sessions so that they could advise you accordingly.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I have no idea where to start. Any advice is welcome!!

Do I eat before or after? What machines should I use? I am looking to lose weight and strengthen muscles

Those are really good questions! I bet you will start a lengthly thread.

Me: I go at night. Because it's the only time I can get away...I wait 4 hours after eating a main meal....start off with the treadmill, or if you get bored easily, do 10 mins on the elliptical, 10 on the stairmaster, 10 on the treadmill....use what ever machine you are comfortable with. Load up you ipod with good beats, and that water bottle holder? Use it!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    No one is even looking....and if you are shy, just shut out the world with your ipod or mp3:blushing:
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    if you don't want to feel stupid because you look like a newbie, here's my advice.

go in, hop on a treadmill, and while you are walking and getting warmed up, scope the place out. when i'm on the treadmill at my gym i can see all the goings-on in the place.

and remember, the rest of the gym rats were new once too! give 'em hell :)

^^ I agree totally. This is what I do whenever I go to a new gym or are thinking of joining a gym. I go get on a treadmill or elliptical and just scope it out. You get to watch other people, see how the staff works, etc. They are usually easy to figure out too. Most I have seen have a quick start button that will get you going...GOOD LUCK ! that 1st step is the hardest !
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    So, How did it go??
  • mclaughlin709
    mclaughlin709 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just got back from my first day. I didn't really do a whole lot, i intended to go this morning, but talked myself out of it. After all day I decided that I would just go for a walk..... BUT! it was raining. SO i said screw it, i'm going to the gym.

Once I got there I was completely lost, so I saw en employee and asked her to show me how to use the treadmill, she was super friendly and helpful and told me that on my next visit to get an appointment for an orientation. Anyways, I did 20 minutes on the treadmill alternating between 2.7-3.5 mph.

Afterwards I literally thought I was going to pass out, I went to get the stuff to wipe it down and was really wobbly and had to sit down in fear I was gonna fall down! a little scary, but I figured I may have over did it for my VERY first time on a treadmill. (if not, i'm gonna feel silly, lol)

Anyways, I feel like I wanna go again right now!
  • Robertt300zx
    Robertt300zx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    take a good protein source first and before your exercise eat. also your's vitamin whit the moorning protein.
  • jjstokes
    jjstokes Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: DO eat something before you go. an oatmeal square or something so your body will know it's OK to burn calories. That's how you get your day started in the right burning direction.:flowerforyou:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!! Its a healthy habit to develope!