What time do you eat dinner?

Options
_Schatzi_
_Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
For a long time I would start dinner around 5 or 5:30 and we would eat around 6 or so. But lately people have been saying that is way too early (or as my coworker put it 'what'd ya live in a nursing home?'). I always ate then because I was starving!

But now we are trying to eat later (7 or 8), which means a serious snack (200-400cal) around 5pm.

I'm not convinced, however. Aren't you supposed to avoid eating too close to bedtime? Could I just have dinner instead of snack, or would I just end up eating more, or getting hungry later?

I don't know... What do you guys think?

Replies

• MrsLeibas
    MrsLeibas Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    We eat dinner as late at 8 or 8:30, sometimes even 9 but that's not by choice, I'm an RN and I don't get off work until 7pm (if I get off on time) and then there is at 25-30 minute drive home. Usually my fiance tries to have dinner ready when I get home so we eat between 7:30 and 8. I wish we could eat earlier.

I don't know what the "right" time to eat dinner is, but I often think that we should eat earlier because I've heard that you shouldn't eat for at least 2 hours before you go to bed. And when we eat at 8:30 that doesn't happen, because I go to bed fairly early (10:30ish)

I'd love to know what other people do, and how they think it affects their weight.
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    We usually eat at 5:30. There's nothing wrong with eating that soon. I don't get hungry again before bedtime, and to me going to sleep on a full stomach doesn't seem appealing.
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    5 pm until 100 sometimes is difficult to stop munching or eating
  • WildflowerAL
    WildflowerAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You should eat dinner at whatever time is convenient for you. We usually eat between 7-8, but this is because I go for a run after work, walk the dog, take a shower, etc. A calorie is a calorie no matter what time you eat. Of course the earlier you eat, you have a better chance of burning it off.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I try to eat between 5 - 7 and if I get hungry, I usually eat a snack. I try to have few calories left for reserve.
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love eating early when I can. I like to get my son bathed and in bed by 8ish, so a later dinner just doesn't cut it.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I make dinner when I get home, between 5:30 and 6:30. And I eat a snack around 10:00.
  • mochomito
    mochomito Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i eat between 6 and 7:45pm nothing after 8pm - except water. But I also don't go to sleep until 1 or 2am.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    7:00 -7:30 I don't get home till 6:30.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Between 6:30 - 730pm. However I dance once a week at 7:15pm, so I do half dinner before, half after class.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Most days, between 4-5...dessert later, if I skip dessert, I'll have cheese or almonds as a snack...or something else low carb.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I usually work 2pm-10pm. So I have a small lunch before I go (200-400calories) and a smaller dinner at work (again, 200-400) cause I know when I get home around 10, I'll have a ton more food. So I hold out til then.

10-11pm at least 3-4 nights a week.

Otherwise anywhere from 6-8pm usually, depends on what I'm up to.

For me, its not a "Dont eat after __pm" deal, its a "You know youre gonna eat lots late, so hold off on calories til then" so you don't get into a predicament.
  • Lisammy
    Lisammy Posts: 35
    Options
    We usually eat by 5:00 pm. My daughter gets home from school at 4:00 and is HUNGRY! Sometimes it's as late as 6:00. And we always have a snack, usually a bowl of cereal or some low fat popcorn a couple hrs. before bed.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time you eat your dinner, early or late, eat when you're hungry. I usually eat later purely out of laziness. Or because I got home from the gym late. If you eat your dinner early, and you still have leftover calories, if you get hungry before bedtime eat again.
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    I eat dinner right after school (generally around 2:30-3). We are used to eating early because my grandmother cooks early (I think it is a Dominican thing lol).
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My husband get's home from work at 5:45, so we eat at 6. I hate eating late!
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    7:30 or 8 pm. I work 8 - 5. Zumba from 5:30-6:30. Arrive home by 7pm unless I excercise at the gym one more hour.
  • rrcaudill
    rrcaudill Posts: 87
    Options
    I start cooking at 5:30, eat at 6, clean up the kitchen, and get all 3 kids in and out of the bathtub and in bed by 8:30. Then I do a quick cleanup of the living room and bathroom, catch up on any tv I wanted to watch, and go to bed at 10:30. :) My life is very scheduled even though I'm a stay-at-home mom.
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    We eat dinner around 5:30 - 6. I'm not usually hungry after that, and if I am it's nothing an apple or something of that sort don't take care of.
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    4pm (my husband works nights)