Low cal, filling, pile your plate up foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories. MFP grossly underestimates activity level. Unless you have something monitoring your activity level, you are eating well below TDEE and will lose both fat and muscle.
  • Amara15
    Amara15 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Common theme here...vegetables. I like omelets loaded with sauteed veggies. I also eat frozen California veggie mix (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) like it's going out of style. I will eat a whole bag with one meal. Try topping with fresh basil and lemon juice.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I try to skip the carb lately! Have a big portion of a lean meat (chicken, turkey, fish, etc...) and then a ton of veggies with it. I like cooked veggies rather than raw, so I continuously try new recipes for flavourful veggies (brocolli with chicken broth and lemon juice, parmesan roasted cauliflower, garlic green beans, etc...)

Try eating on a smaller plate so that your portion looks bigger.

In my opinion, if you want to eat the same foods that you have always loved, then you have to learn how to eat smaller portions on food. I tend to eat a piece of fruit for "dessert" after almost every lunch and dinner now as well. This makes me feel like I got dinner and dessert! ;) It's all kind of a mind game...

Also - try to get foods that fill you up longer, rather than being lower in calories.
    I personally find the following foods more filling: greek yogurt 0% fat with extra protein, banana, any lean meats, oatmeal, etc...

Good Luck! ;)
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Squash is incredibly low in calories and soooo good for you. Zucchini, yellow, spaghetti squash,etc.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'd be really hungry with only 1200 calories too. Consider increasing your calories.

After that check out http://www.hungry-girl.com/
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Stir fry! Just a little healthy oil, a little lean protein (meat, shrimp, tofu, nuts) and a HUGE pile of chopped veggies. Quick, easy, low-cal, delicious, nutritious and you can eat a huge plate full.
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    A pack of rice noodles, a pack of beansprouts, carrot, courgette, mushroom, red pepper. No need to use oil, stem the veg first, with a little soy sauce, add the beansprouts then noodles for 2/3 mins. Huge plateful, under 300 calories. Add chicken or tofu for protein. Works for me.
  • ashlysnd
    ashlysnd Posts: 72 Member
    Options
  • ashlysnd
    ashlysnd Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm a week in to 1,200 cal and still hungry. Probably my brain playing tricks on me.

My problem is, I love a big portion of food and if I have a little portion, I feel hard done by!

So - are there any tasty, low cal foods? eg. sweet potato?

The best meal I have found at the moment is turkey, veg and brow pasta (only a little) Colemans bake with some low fat cheese on top.

Any ideas?

Eat more cals! Unless you are sitting on the couch all day, you can stand to eat more than 1200 cals. Google metabolic rate, u will see what i am talking about. Hope it helps.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last post, eat more calories. Dont eat below your BMR.

As for filling foods, I love butternut squash. I dice it and roast it with salt and pepper. Then I have it available as a side dish for dinner or even at breakfast with an egg. I love it for breakfast.

I also love french style green beans. It is the only canned veggie I eat. I saute a bunch of mushrooms with garlic and then add the green beans once the mushrooms are cooked. The mushrooms and garlic make a great combination with the green beans.
  • pinkjellybaby
    pinkjellybaby Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've never even heard of this, will have to investigate!
  • pinkjellybaby
    pinkjellybaby Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash! We will have an enormous plate with sauteed mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and low sodium pasta sauce. We even top it with fresh parm and the whole heaping plate is around 220 calories!

I've never even heard of this, will have to investigate!
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love to pile my plate up with steamed veggies!!

Same here, I eat a lot of veggies and love them!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    bump.I am always looking for new recipes. I just recently bumped up my calories from 1200 to about 1300. Try KALYNS KITCHEN...may find some on there and any low carbs is what I NEED.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    Spaghetti squash! We will have an enormous plate with sauteed mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and low sodium pasta sauce. We even top it with fresh parm and the whole heaping plate is around 220 calories!

We do this too. 1/2 a spaghetti squash is only around 80 calories. Top it with your favorite italian sauce and you are good to go. Another plus is lots of fiber! We also do a ton of mashed potatoes made with skim milk. Only 35 calories per cup. Good source of potassium.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Stir fry with just veg and prawns or turkey is good, oysters sauce added for flavour is low cal.

Personally, I love a huge bowl of soup, or a big bowl of healthy curry. Made with a tomato base, can add low fat (not 0% it curdles) yoghurt, or without, lots of veg and some lean protein. Very filling.
  • Petskies101
    Options
    bump
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I aim to fill half of my plate with veg and that fills me up - brocolli, cauli, beans, carrots, brussel sprouts