Woman dies drinking 2-3 gallons of Coke

Options
http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/20/11303027-cola-habit-behind-death-of-30-year-old-new-zealand-woman?lite

Who drinks 2-3 gallons of coke per day and smokes 30 cigarettes per day... THIS woman did!

Apparently, she didn't eat much and drank between 2.1 and 2.6 gallons of soda per day. She also apparently smoked over 30 cigarettes per day. Dead at age 30.

Sad, but insane.

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Now all the people are going to come out of the woodwork saying that water can kill you too. Of course this article didn't mention any other kind of health problems this women had. She also smoked. She could have had a flurry of heart problems already.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/20/11303027-cola-habit-behind-death-of-30-year-old-new-zealand-woman?lite

Who drinks 2-3 gallons of coke per day and smokes 30 cigarettes per day... THIS woman did!

In before statements about how poisonous coke is without making any reference to dosage or context.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Now all the people are going to come out of the woodwork saying that water can kill you too. Of course this article didn't mention any other kind of health problems this women had. She also smoked. She could have had a flurry of heart problems already.

Yeah, I know. I thought I'd preempt the COKE = DEATH crowd.

The article said they suspect that she died from very low potassium caused by excessive fluid intake.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options

The article said they suspect that she died from very low potassium caused by excessive fluid intake.

If I were the coroner I would have ruled it death by stupidity.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Electrolytes... you gotta love em'.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

^^^^ spoken like a true prodigy Josh. =)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Electrolytes... you gotta love em'.

4fccf906-bd9e-43d2-968f-524c8d181f82
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How are we skimming past the fact that she was 30 years old with EIGHT children???
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

No kidding! The article said she didn't eat much either, just got all her nutrition from drinking Coke.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

I agree. I think anyone that drinks coke and smokes that much isn't worried about their health.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    The article also mentions that her death could also be attributed to her lack of healthy diet on top of her coke consumption. Though I am sure those that are going to say drinking water will kill you, will overlook that statement as well.

Anything in an excessive amount could potential cause harm- so not sure why this coke thing is getting so much buzz.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    How are we skimming past the fact that she was 30 years old with EIGHT children???

I feel sorry for her kids. With that kind of lifestyle, there's no way they are being cared for adequately by her either. Certainly, not now.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

And didn't eat food and lived off coke and cigarettes. I am surprised she lived as long as she did.
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Anything in excessive amounts can kill you.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    30 cigarettes a day is really unhealthy.

I consider 20 to be moderation.

*runs* TRY AND CATCH ME HEALTH POLICE! YOU'LL NEVER GET...

huff huff huff
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I was going to say that. :smile: But only to suggest that anything in excess can kill you. And of course underlying health problems play a major role.

I'm not going to read the article. I have enough gratuitous sadness in my life already.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Sad that her kids are motherless now, no matter how she died. :(
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised she didn't have scurvy (arg)

I knew I made a mistake when I quite smoking. I did it the wrong way, I should have increased my smoking and decreased my food consumption . . . duh!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I noticed that right away.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    30 cigarettes a day is really unhealthy.

I consider 20 to be moderation.

*runs* TRY AND CATCH ME HEALTH POLICE! YOU'LL NEVER GET...

huff huff huff

20 is a good number. Anything less than that and your not really a smoker. I'd say just a puffing hobby.