What do YOU do for your IT band pain?

Options
BAtobe
BAtobe Posts: 93 Member
I have established I need better shoes for my gait, I am working on that. I am also doing the IT band stretches. I am running outside, on a flat, paved road. I am reading that my terrain, along with my shoes could be contributing to the IT band pain, as well as uneven strength in my legs. I am doing leg exercises on the days I dont run like lunges, etc but is there more that I could be doing? Is there even a better place I can ask these questions? Thanks!

Replies

• BAtobe
    Options
    One more question: I also read training too quickly can cause it. Im sure c25k isnt too quick but I will push myself, like adding an extra run at the end, walking a much further distance than 5min at the end, etc. And today my last run that was supposed to be 90 seconds felt amazing and I pushed it to 7.5 minutes. Should I not be doing that?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Foam roller did miracles for me.
  • femmecyclist
    femmecyclist Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    +1 on the foam roller although it is painful for sure!
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Foam roller also works best for me
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I am currently seeing a PT to deal with my IT band. If you are having pains training for a 5k, I would consider doing another cardio exercise.

• Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    foam rolling and stretching

dont get to my put where i over did it and had to get a cortisone shot
  • mizzoulaxgirl26
    mizzoulaxgirl26 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can go to a running store and get gait-analysis and fitted for shoes. Also, they do running clinics and work on form.
  • comparingapples
    Options
    yoga! yoga incorporates slow deep IT band stretches. it feels so good!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Foam Roller didn't so anything for me, but we are all a little different.

The things that helped me resolve it:

Targeting the entire thigh with squats and deadlifts (especially stiff-legged DLs)
    Stretching (this one was best for me- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0e8FPL787E&feature=related)
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i have regular massages esp for my IT band - granted my dh is a massage therapist so i dont have to pay.........but it helps alot
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Ice for 20 minutes after exercise.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a PT. I also read in the most recent Men's Health that shortening but quickening the stride and minimizing impact on the heels will help with IT band issues. And the painful but awesome foam roll.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    foam rolling, and using 'the stick'
  • BAtobe
    Options
    I am currently seeing a PT to deal with my IT band. If you are having pains training for a 5k, I would consider doing another cardio exercise.

Really? Are you saying I should not be running at all, ever?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    nthing the foam roller

here's a random video tutorial
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aJtO0VCqw
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Foam roller did miracles for me.

The foam roller was my friend in college...before and after track practice....
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Yup. I use a roam foller.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I started doing some stretches and switched to minimalist shoes to keep me from heel striking when running downhill which was what aggravated it the most. Since those changes, no IT band issues whatsoever.
  • BAtobe
    Options
    Ok, can someone tell me exactly what I am looking for in a foam roller?
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It's just a hard foam roller about 2-3 feet in length, 6 inches in diameter. You literally roll away your pain. I bought mine from the PT.