What's some advice you would tell your 16 year old self ?

Options

Replies

• Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Don't get married dumbass!

To myself at 16:

I wish I could tell you the above quote but if you don't marry the *kitten* you won't get your beautiful children. However, he is douche and you need to leave while you're pregnant with your 2nd child. Don't wait any longer than that, he will drag you down and nearly destroy you.
    If you don't pay more attention you are going to regain all the weight you lost and then gain some more. Exercise and stop eating all that crap!
    Go to college! You are going to be a single mom with two kids and your ex is an unreliable deadbeat, you need a career (look into sports medicine/physical therapy).
    Stay away from Dom; he lies, is irresponsible, drinks too much, will use you and hurt your kids.
    Don't sleep with a virgin, too many complications.
    Jed's sister Teia is going to become your best friend, practically your sister. You guys will hold each other up as you go thru hell, don't let go for even a second. She needs you more than she says or shows. She is the only one who won't hurt you or play games with you.
    Your son has his fathers' temperament and your daughter has yours. Pay attention: spank them when they need it, hold them when they cry, give Connor his space when he's angry but don't dismiss his temper, NEVER give Rylan an inch-she collects them and before you'll realize it she's taken a mile.
    Your mom is a mess but she loves you very much. Listen to what she says but take it all with a grain of salt (or two) and use your head.

Love an older wiser you.
  • stacymay13
    stacymay13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think I would tell myself that going to therapy and getting put on anti-depressants isn't something to be ashamed of. And I should have done it then instead of waiting until I was 20 when things had gotten so much worse.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,

Your first husband will cheat on you but out of that marriage will come a beautiful daughter so don't spend so much time crying over the divorce. After the divorce stay active.

Have more than one kid while you still can.

Don't ask your 16 year old if she is having sex if you aren't ready for the answer.

Spend more time with your dad, you won't have him as long as you think. Don't try so hard to please your mom, it doesn't help and your sister will always be a bi___.

Stay away from Alvin and Wes; they will really mess with your head.

Start running, it's much harder to "start" when you're in your 40's.

Sometime this year (1985) you and your friends are going to drink a ton of Wild Turkey and you are going to go home with a Tattoo, pick something pretty like a dragonfly.

Be good to your back and your body.

Cocaine is expensive and addictive. Don't even do it once!

Time really does make most things better.

Love yourself before you try to love others.

Forgiveness is easy.

When you are wrong admit it.

Love, me

I got a lot to tell myself.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 Year Old Me,

STEP AWAY FROM THE BOX OF POP TARTS. PUT IT DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND WALK AWAY WITH YOUR HAND IN THE AIR!

And go back to playing basketball. I don't know why you quit in the first place.
  • JTHRONES
    JTHRONES Posts: 75
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,

-You will not become a basketball superstar, don't listen to Mama.
    -Start college your Junior Year of high school instead of your Senior Year, it'll put you even further ahead.
    -ACCEPT THE SCHOLARSHIP TO PRINCETON, DUMMY!
    -Don't accept the ROTC Scholarship, just go straight to basic!
    -Listen to Johnathon when he says he's all wrong for you, you could possibly go back after he's grown up some.
    -Date Johnathon for a little longer before you marry him IF you ignore the above line.
    -Feel great about yourself!
  • jody75
    jody75 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old,

You aren't as smart as you think you are. You are a lot cooler than you think you are. Don't go to Mizzou. Write down the family history that Granny is telling you. Ease up on your Mom. She's going to be your best friend one of these days.
  • NSQuintana
    NSQuintana Posts: 207
    Options
    Eminem is NOT the sexiest man alive, stay with your boyfriend because you will get married, take life more seriously, study hard, the world does NOT revolve around you, start learning to manage you money, NEVER date your best friend's EX, and finish college as soon as possible.
  • sezhep
    sezhep Posts: 57
    Options
    Hi 16 yr old me!

1) Stop obsessively calorie counting. Your friends and family really care about you and are all talking behind your back, but they don't know how to deal with it, so instead you end up alienating yourself. Have fun!

2) Don't even think about staying on at sixth form. You will bunk off and get bored and waste a year of your life. Leave home, go to military college and get A levels. It will be the best thing you ever do and you will make the best friends. Don't worry about having to go into the military at the end of it, your history of depression and a back problem will make sure you don't get that far.

3) When Aaron ends it with you, don't make a fool of yourself and try to get him back. You will meet Joe, and you will have an amazing time, and you will love him even more than you thought was possible, but don't settle down. When you have to tell him that the relationship is stale and you've lost the spark for the 3rd time, END IT. He won't put anymore effort in so don't waste your time and wait for him to dump you! Being single is kinda fun anyway :)

Enjoy yourself, make mistakes, dance like no one's watching, laugh until you cry, love like you've never been hurt... Life is the greatest lesson of all.

x
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hey Me,
    Stop dating boys you don't really like b/c they're "nice guys". They aren't really that nice. Be nicer and less crazy w/ poor Matt. It's okay to say no... and even punch them in the balls if they don't accept it the first time you say it.
    Oh yeah, and your problems aren't really that bad right now... try to learn this thing called perspective!
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Dear younger me,
    Go to college. Don't move out at 17. Your parents aren't that bad, and it's a free housing while you're getting ready to go to college. Start paying attention to your health now.
    I love you/me a whole lot more now that we're older.
    Love,
    Self
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Stop trying so hard to make people like you. They already do. You are the one that needs convincing.
  • lisalu1202
    lisalu1202 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me

You look fantastic in a bikini stop obsessing about your weight, you are beautiful the way you are.

Love

Your 40 year old self x
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Quite procrastinating so much! And stop stuffing your face whenever you get bored, that's one of the reasons you're fat!
  • LSHANDREW
    LSHANDREW Posts: 39
    Options
    Don't work a job in fast food, you'll gain weight FAST. Skip more school and you are TOO involved in church. Date Zack because you really truly like him. Don't break up with him and get messed up with the biggest loser of them all. You'll be angry about him forever. You're smart, fun and pretty. Go to community college after high school even though you dont want to. Moving away from home = freedom and responsibility which you're ready for.
  • dragonladywendy
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me.
    Well what a ride you will have, but PLEASE don't smoke, it took an age to quit the 60 a day habit :sick:
    Do NOT do drugs, bad hospital trips that are difficult to explain!
    Follow your gut and DO phone the police - it stops you committing murder (even if in self-defence!)
    Even though Mum is a stubborn, unsympathetic, tough woman, she's gone through her own crap and needs her daughter. Talk to each other, you'll be surprised how much joy comes from it.
    Stop running away from your problems, face them, deal with them and learn from them!
    ALWAYS use a condom - silly girl.
    Look after your health - there are many operations to come, but you survive them all and get stronger with each one.
    Do not gorge on chocolate thinking you'll never put on weight, boy do you!
    When you fall in love for real, enjoy every moment - pull down that wall and LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST!!!
    Love and hugs,
    older me xxx
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me:

Stick with architecture and design. The fact that you are a leftie and smudge all your pencil marks won't matter in 5 more years, it will all be on the computer! you have talent, don't let smudges stop you!

Do NOT stop taking gym class, and do NOT eat at mcdonalds!

Lastly, that boy you just met? You will never believe how happy you will be together, or how much heart ache the two of you will have to face together. Hang on, because you were right from day one, he is your soul mate. 24 years later, you are still like newlyweds. You might never be rich, but you WILL live happily ever after.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year old me,
    have fun during the summer...yes grades and sports are important but leave the house!!
    drop Mary and Becca....both are fake, and the longer yo are friends with them the more unhappy you will be.
    do your best with sports!!! It will take you far
    talk to your crush, and I don't mean hi as you cross between classes. You wont know what will happen until you try.
    Tell your parents you love them(even when you are sp pissed at them)...dad leaves this earth sooner than you want him to.

Stay strong,

Love your 30 year old self.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    When your 19 your gonna meet this guy on cpixel, your first instinct is to not message him back... listen to your instinct!

Don't you HATE when you knew... but didn't listen to your inner voice? Those are the worst mistakes. I'm so sorry it took you 7 years.. Mine was my second marriage. I was older 40+ .. so I was a little stronger and have been around the block a few times... But it still took me two years to escape!

OOhhh yea.

It went like this...

"ohhh he wrote me.... ohhh hes not even cute.... oh he wrote me again.... wat the heck lets write him back, new friends are cool... oh yea heres my yahoo sn.... talk to me every day on yahoo for 3 mos? sounds good to me..... ohhh u wanna meet?... this day aint good.... no neither is this one.... ohhh yea i guess today works.... oh your funny..... you make me smile... omg you sing??..... im in love.... ohhh your not really who you was when we first met are you...."

The first 3 years were hell... I left for 3 mos and for some reason I came back.... 7 years down the road ive just finally relized that I deserve better.

I was 19 when we got together. I am now 26. I feel like he took away the best part of my life. Lol.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Dear 16 year-old Lisa--

Trust your instincts, they will NEVER fail you.

Trust your brother Brad, he's as reliable as your instincts are. Don't be angry that he won't "let you" date any of the guys on his football team. There's a better man out there waiting for you.

Staying up every night to watch M.A.S.H. with dad at 10:35 is a really good idea. But be warned, when he passes away 12 years later, just the theme song will make you cry.

When you're 18 and soooo over working that summer job, go back for one more year. You'll meet your future husband, some of your future best friends, and your life will never be the same. But in a very good way.

LIfe is short. Live well. Don't let fear hold you back, as there is nothing a girl like you can't handle. Keep laughing. Never lose your ability to smile thru everything life throws at you.

And listen to mom when she says "Be nice to the dorks. You'll end up working for one and quite possibly marrying one someday." Things will work out the way she said they would, and you'll have a beautiful life.

You're a lucky girl who is loved and respected. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll never regret any decision you're bound to make.

Signed,
    33 year old Lisa

PS... You're future adventures include cycling across Ireland, getting drunk with future CEO's in Portugal, skydiving, aerial adventure courses, climbing mountains on at least 2 continents, crying with joy when your beloved Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup.... All these things will be amazing, but keep in mind they can be even better if you're fit and healthy. They'll also include horrible things I don't even want to warn you about. Just know that exercise will be the thing that keeps you sane thru it all, even when everyone around you is falling apart.
  • happypath101
    Options
    Dear 16year old me:

* You think it's huge (and you've even shed tears over the size of it), but there are LOTS of men out there that think your butt is awesome.
    * You are NOT fat. You have curves. In about 20 years movies and magazines will be full of women with them. Hang on - we weren't all meant to look like Cheryl Teigs. Oh - and they will eventually make jeans that flatter your shape.
    * You're right to not want to be a teacher. (An honourable profession, but not a good match for your personality.)
    * You're wrong to think it's flighty to persue music; you should do it.
    * You're wrong to be scared of writing for a living; you should do that too.
    * You have a career in something called "software" if you want it. Don't worry; it will make sense.
    * You will NOT turn into your mother. But, pay attention to all of her wonderful qualities so that you can emulate them. And hug her often - even if she doesn't seem to appreciate it. She does.
    * You are not destined to be heavy.
    * Do NOT, for a single second, believe that crap about a low fat diet. And, don't fill your face with low fat, sugary carbs, no matter who's telling you to "Snack Well". Sigh!
    * When you meet that guy and your gut instinct is to run, for Pete's Sake - RUN!
    * Love is rare, true. But, it's not as rare as you think. Work harder on being ready for a committed relationship and think less about whether or not someone will love you. (HMMM.... 42 year me needs to hear that too.)

:O)