Thin In My Skin! (CLOSED GRP)

Options

Replies

• Tatyanne
    Tatyanne Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

It's being a difficult week to me :sad:
    I only have time to exercise in the morning, and lately end the alarm sounds my neck and back are so sored that I'm not able to do it. Hope to be able to do it tomorrow.

My calories and water are ok, but with almost no exercise, the high stress level at work and the bad nights of sleep... I'm really afraid of this week weight in :ohwell:

Kisses to all,
    Tatyanne
  • tealighttrees
    Options
    Hey guys,

It's been a while since I posted anything because... well, things are pretty sucky right now. I had a plan for eating and exercising, and everything fell through. I've been eating horribly, and too much. I haven't been exercising AT ALL. And now I'm on my period, so I've got bloat and stupid cravings to boot. I have absolutely no doubt I will have gained an outrageous amount of weight come weigh-in day (some of it bloat/water weight, I concede), and that's just bringing me down SO MUCH and making me not want to bother continuing. I've tried and tried so many times to lose the weight, and never succeeded. What made me think I could do it this time?

I'm sorry, I really don't mean to be a downer. I'm just... in that place right now. I'm trying to make today better. I got up a bit earlier than expected (though not early enough to go to the gym), so I've had time to make a nice, healthy lunch (chicken ceasar salad, an apple, and a yogurt, yum!) and I'm going to try really hard to take in more water and green tea today.

I'm just so, so disappointed in myself right now.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I really think it's a combo deal. Some people lose the "internal" fat first... which drastically improves your health but doesn't do much for sizes. Then others will lose on their arms and legs first.

I was a classic pear shape when I was thin, then an hourglass (having babies was a blessing for the bust), then a square (yeah a square... My measurements were 48.5-48.5-54!!). I am losing my weight in the reverse order of where I put it on (don't know if that's normal or not). So my stomach was the first to go, then my hips and I think I will have to be extremely thin to lose the bust. I'm also tall and still have some pear traits...heavy thighs and big butt.

It's hard to see the changes in yourself but I bet those same sizes don't fit the way they used to! Take pictures and you will see it. I take pictures every two months and post them to my profile. That keeps me accountable and helps me see the changes. I still look in the mirror and don't see it, I hold up my size XL yoga pants and always think "that's not going to fit". I think it takes a while for our minds to catch up with our bodies. Ask one of your close girlfriends if your pants fit... maybe they are droopy in the butt and you don't realize it. My girls told me "just because they don't fall to your ankles doesn't mean they fit!".

You ladies are a big part of my motivation to stay on track. I see the big weekly losses and it motivates me to get off my butt and get it done! Thank you all for that!! :flowerforyou:
  • sissypunks
    Options
    sissypunks check in for 4/23 still 248
  • MissYatta
    MissYatta Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Name/ real name: MissYatta/Yatta

Current Weight: 319
    Challenge Goal Weight: 289

04/09: 319
    04/16: 319.4 (up .4, after the holiday and TOM)
    04/23: 317.0
    04/30:
    05/07: <<<309>>>
    05/14:
    05/21:
    05/28:
    06/04: <<<299>>>
    06/11:
    06/18:
    06/25:
    07/02: <<<289>>>

Great job so far everyone and good luck :)
  • kvonjohn
    kvonjohn Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

It's been a while since I posted anything because... well, things are pretty sucky right now. I had a plan for eating and exercising, and everything fell through. I've been eating horribly, and too much. I haven't been exercising AT ALL. And now I'm on my period, so I've got bloat and stupid cravings to boot. I have absolutely no doubt I will have gained an outrageous amount of weight come weigh-in day (some of it bloat/water weight, I concede), and that's just bringing me down SO MUCH and making me not want to bother continuing. I've tried and tried so many times to lose the weight, and never succeeded. What made me think I could do it this time?

I'm sorry, I really don't mean to be a downer. I'm just... in that place right now. I'm trying to make today better. I got up a bit earlier than expected (though not early enough to go to the gym), so I've had time to make a nice, healthy lunch (chicken ceasar salad, an apple, and a yogurt, yum!) and I'm going to try really hard to take in more water and green tea today.

I'm just so, so disappointed in myself right now.

We all have those moments. I doubt there is anyone here that has not tried to lose weight before. What makes this time different is that you ARE going to do it!

Look, I have been working out like a monster and my numbers are about the same. I did, however, take pictures last week and this week and I can already see the difference in my body. The weight loss will come but we have to stick with it. Thru the ups and downs we have to stick with it.

I'm so glad that instead of giving up you came here and posted what was going on with you so now you are able to get the encouragement you need. Just stick with it! I know it's so cliche but one day at a time! :wink:
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Name/ real name:SammyKatt

Current Weight: 166
    Challenge Goal Weight: 154

04/09: 166.8
    04/16: 166.6
    04/23: 166.8
    04/30:
    05/07: <<< mini goal weight 162 >>>
    05/14:
    05/21:
    05/28:
    06/04: <<< mini goal weight 158 >>>
    06/11:
    06/18:
    06/25:
    07/02: <<< challenge goal weight 154 >>>

So annoyed at that scale! I've been eating so healthy and drinking all my water and the scale goes back up. =/ not amused!
  • AmyByExample
    AmyByExample Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Tracking is going well - feeling a bit like a slug exercise wise though. I was stuck at a CE class all day yesterday, then had to travel for a work conference today so gone 5am-6pm. All that sitting!!! I was shocked (ok, in awe) that there was a jogger out at 4:55am as I was heading out this am!! (to me that seems the middle of the night). I imagine maybe doing a marathon training run - or just a real regular exerciser - wow!!

To anyone feeling down or discouraged, dust yourself off and let's get back to it!! Kvonjohn had it so right - I do 't think this is any of our first trip to the weight loss ball - but wouldn't it be great if it were our last?

Hugs all around!!
    Amy
  • PurpleCoookie
    Options
    I have been feeling the same way too, I'm trying to keep going but it is so hard. :( Really wish I had that motivation when I first started to lose weight....

Thanks for the birthday wishes
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that I've been so absent this week. I truly appreciate all of you that have been posting here and supporting each other!

amazon75 - Thank you so much for giving us our weekly challenge!

Losing4Life69 - Thanks for the spreadsheet!

AmyByExample - You did great walking, instead of reading, while your son had his swim practice! About this weight loss ball... I definitely want it to be my last! :-)

silversong24 - Yay for running before meeting up with your family!

Roni_M - You did sooo great with your clothes! That IS hard to do! And all of the inches lost... FANTASTIC!!

audrine - "I am at the point where I don't even want to buy clothes anymore because I'm afraid they'll only fit a month or two!" That IS what happens so Walmart has been my friend. :-) I buy one bottom piece and a few super cheap top pieces that are SNUG (so they last a little longer). It has helped me to wear clothing that fits along the way. I've also read where others do a lot of shopping at thrift stores to make it even cheaper.

pbprincess - Congratulations on getting into single-digit sized pants!

tealighttrees - You CAN lose weight this time! MFP friends, and this long term challenge, will help you! So you blew it... with your food, exercise, maybe your weigh in this week... that's OKAY! As soon as you can, start with the next thing you put in your mouth... and the next day with getting some exercise, etc... This really is a life long path. Sometimes you WILL wander off. The trick is not to wander so far that you can't get back to the path. YOU CAN DO THIS!! One year from now, 365 days of your life will have been used. When you look back on them, what do you want to see? You getting smaller? You getting fitter? That can absolutely happen! Just remember, you can have ice cream. You can have cookies. You can have pizza, etc... You just have to learn to have less and fit everything within your green numbers. One more time... YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • kcthatsme
    Options
    I mentioned that I would post the Olivia method (from here on MFP). I'll just post how I do it so it will be easier to explain. I have set my goals to not lose any weight and that I'm not going to be doing any exercise. This is how many calories I can eat to maintain the exact weight I am now. Next, I go under "tools" and figure out my BMR. I want to make sure I at least eat that many calories daily since that is how much my body needs for it to do basic functions. Right now, to maintain my weight, I can eat 1540 calories (doing no exercise to pad that number). But I still want to lose weight and I still need to at least eat what my BMR number is. Are you following, so far? My BMR number is 1231 calories. So if I do nothing else but not go above my BMR calories, I am at a calorie deficit of 309.

1540 maintenance calories -
    1231 BMR calories
    309 calorie deficit

If I do that every day, I would lose almost a pound a week. But what if I want to lose more? Exercise is the key! Let's take yesterday...

1540 where I have MFP set -
    1374 I ate a little extra
    166 calorie deficit +
    512 calorie deficit that I burned from exercise
    678 calorie deficit

I hope this is making sense. If you just set MFP for maintenance (before exercise), and figure out your BMR calories each time you lose weight, as you log your food and exercise, MFP will figure out your deficits for you! :-) The big things to remember are:

NEVER eat less than your BMR calories.

NEVER create a deficit larger than 1000 calories.

Both of those things will hamper your weight loss!

If your deficit is showing larger than 1000 calories, only those exercise calories (the ones to bring your number back to 1000) are the ones that you would eat back. If I don't have a very large deficit the day before, and I'm just a little over the 1000, I don't eat them back. I also really recommend the Polar FT7 HRM, to track your exercise calories, so you're not just guessing since MFP can be a little off and so can the gym exercise machines.

This method has made a lot of sense to me and has helped me. I really like knowing and being in control of my deficit. It isn't an exact science. In other words, if you figure your deficits, and know that you should lose 2.4 lbs this week, but you've only lost 1.8, the other extra might be coming off next week with that loss. It will also show, if you will log your food even when eating over maintenance calories, why the scale is going up instead of down.

One more thing... Olivia is the woman who posted about this. That's why it's called the Olivia method. She didn't make it up. She got it from a nutritionist that is specialized for runners. I figured that, even though I don't run, I do other exercise that burns calories.

I have other tricks to help with our weight loss, that I will post another time. In the meantime, using the Olivia method, getting the sleep I posted about before, and drinking water, water, water will definitely be great tools for the journey!

P.S. As you lose weight, you will need to change your maintenance numbers also.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I mentioned that I would post the Olivia method (from here on MFP). I'll just post how I do it so it will be easier to explain. I have set my goals to not lose any weight and that I'm not going to be doing any exercise. This is how many calories I can eat to maintain the exact weight I am now. Next, I go under "tools" and figure out my BMR. I want to make sure I at least eat that many calories daily since that is how much my body needs for it to do basic functions. Right now, to maintain my weight, I can eat 1540 calories (doing no exercise to pad that number). But I still want to lose weight and I still need to at least eat what my BMR number is. Are you following, so far? My BMR number is 1231 calories. So if I do nothing else but not go above my BMR calories, I am at a calorie deficit of 309.

1540 maintenance calories -
    1231 BMR calories
    309 calorie deficit

If I do that every day, I would lose almost a pound a week. But what if I want to lose more? Exercise is the key! Let's take yesterday...

1540 where I have MFP set -
    1374 I ate a little extra
    166 calorie deficit +
    512 calorie deficit that I burned from exercise
    678 calorie deficit

I hope this is making sense. If you just set MFP for maintenance (before exercise), and figure out your BMR calories each time you lose weight, as you log your food and exercise, MFP will figure out your deficits for you! :-) The big things to remember are:

NEVER eat less than your BMR calories.

NEVER create a deficit larger than 1000 calories.

Both of those things will hamper your weight loss!

If your deficit is showing larger than 1000 calories, only those exercise calories (the ones to bring your number back to 1000) are the ones that you would eat back. If I don't have a very large deficit the day before, and I'm just a little over the 1000, I don't eat them back. I also really recommend the Polar FT7 HRM, to track your exercise calories, so you're not just guessing since MFP can be a little off and so can the gym exercise machines.

This method has made a lot of sense to me and has helped me. I really like knowing and being in control of my deficit. It isn't an exact science. In other words, if you figure your deficits, and know that you should lose 2.4 lbs this week, but you've only lost 1.8, the other extra might be coming off next week with that loss.

One more thing... Olivia is the woman who posted about this. That's why it's called the Olivia method. She didn't make it up. She got it from a nutritionist that is specialized for runners. I figured that, even though I don't run, I do other exercise that burns calories.

I have other tricks to help with our weight loss, that I will post another time. In the meantime, using the Olivia method, getting the sleep I posted about before, and drinking water, water, water will definitely be great tools for the journey!

P.S. As you lose weight, you will need to change your maintenance numbers also.

Oh so, to maintain my current weight (BOOOO haha) it says that I can eat 2410 calories a day. Then it says that my BMR is 1926, which is a difference of 484 (pre exercise). But then when I actually set my activity level and exercise goals for the week it puts me at 1410 calories, which is a 1,000 calorie difference from maintenance calories.

So if I'm understanding correctly, I need to be eating at least 1926 calories a day regardless of what MFP says? Or am I doing something wrong somewhere?
  • kcthatsme
    Options

Oh so, to maintain my current weight (BOOOO haha) it says that I can eat 2410 calories a day. Then it says that my BMR is 1926, which is a difference of 484 (pre exercise). But then when I actually set my activity level and exercise goals for the week it puts me at 1410 calories, which is a 1,000 calorie difference from maintenance calories.

So if I'm understanding correctly, I need to be eating at least 1926 calories a day regardless of what MFP says? Or am I doing something wrong somewhere?

You set your exercise goal to zero. Yes to the 1926 BMR calories. Even without the exercise goal, as you log your exercise, MFP will still add those calories burned to your deficit. :-)
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yeah that is with a zero exercise goal and a sedentary lifestyle.
  • tealighttrees
    Options
    So, according to MFP:

2460 Maintenance Calories
    1964 BMR
    496 deficit

That would mean, eating 1964 calories a day, I'd lose roughly 1 lb a week.

Usually I eat about 1600 calories a day, because that's what MFP suggested for me. So should I be eating 1964, and just exercising more? Is there a reason the deficit should never go over 1000? If possible, I would like to lose more than 2 lbs a week to start, just to get the ball rolling. And what about all these people who suggest eating 1200 calories for maximum healthy weight loss?

Gah, sometimes this weight loss thing is confusing.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Name/ real name: legnarevocrednu

Current Weight: 191
    Challenge Goal Weight: 174

04/09: 191
    04/16: 193
    04/23: 190
    04/30:
    05/07:
    05/14:
    05/21:
    05/28:
    06/04:
    06/11:
    06/18:
    06/25:
    07/02:

Well I'm down a pound from my starting weight...but 3 pounds down from last week.
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Brinasacat/ Nancy:

Current (Starting) Weight: 197
    Challenge Goal Weight: 177

04/09: 197
    04/16: 195
    04/23: 194
    04/30:
    05/07: <<<mini goal weight 190>>>
    05/14:
    05/21:
    05/28:
    06/04: <<<mini goal weight 183>>>
    06/11:
    06/18:
    06/25:
    07/02: <<<challenge goal weight 177>>>
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to Monday weigh in. I had one bad day this week but thanks to the encouragement of everyone on MFP, I got back up, brushed myself off, and started fresh the next day. Probably wouldnt have got back up without the encouragement because it is so early in my journey.

Thanks to everyone on MFP :love:
  • ksraider
    ksraider Posts: 107
    Options
    Name/ real name: Ksraider/ Regina

Current Weight: 182.5
    Challenge Goal Weight: 150

04/06: 179.5
    04/13: 178.0
    04/20: 175.5
    04/27:
    05/04: <<<170 >>>