Forgive my student loan!

Options

Replies

• cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both about to graduate from college in like two weeks! Neither of us could get a job all throughout school and we do not have jobs lined up after we get out of school. We both went into demanding career fields, Automotives for me and Electronics Engineering for him. We went to a community college, I have no family to speak of and his family can't afford to help us due to his sister's mistakes. I am on welfare, I have medicaid, foodstamps, pell grants, and daycare assistance. We together have racked up $18,500 in debt. We have six months after we graduate to find jobs before we have to pay back our student loans. I came from a very poor, horrible childhood where I raised two kids while I was still a kid myself. He came from a broken home and a difficult childhood also. We have worked damn hard and very lived poorly throughout school, which yes our student loans and our pell grants paid for our 3 bedroom housing (which we had gotten with a roommate who is now gone), vehicle ($900 + gas and parts), books, school supplies and tuition.

DO I THINK MY LOANS SHOULD HAVE TO BE PAID BACK.

HELL NO!

I would rather somebody give my husband and I jobs but if that can't happen then yeah I would like them to at least be put on hold till I can get a job but if that can't happen and it won't (money grubbing companies) then I guess my only option is to have them forgiven.

P.S. Before you say that we haven't gotten jobs because we haven't worked hard enough to find one ( I check into monster.com and indeed.com everyday, I apply and so does my husband to every job we are qualified for including ones where I would have been qualified for in high school) it is because we are losing out to older people with experience and degrees and a bi-polar teacher who can not make up his mind whether I work my a** off or whether I let all the guys do work for me. So I don't want to hear that this is my fault or that I didn't work hard enough you don't know my situation so don't pretend you do.

RANT OVER!

So what?

I had a horrible impoverished childhood, took on $60,000 in loans as a single parent of one, didn't have a job upon graduation and GASP!! I didn't whine and complain and play the victim. I did what I needed to do because failure was not an option. I'm six years into the 10 year repayment period and have not missed a payment nor have I expected someone else to pay it for me.

You are failing to see the point. This isn't about people whining, complaining and playing the victim... It's about the fact that people having trouble finding a job after college is a wide spread problem.. and if it doesn't get better there will be more issues that stem from it. (and so you don't yell at me.. I'm not for this bill... I am, however, strongly in favor of dramatic education reform)

I get the point. But the poster I quoted IS playing the victim. Please read my 1st post again where I stated there is NO guarantee of a job after college regardless of the economy. Also I believe the economy fell apart in 2008, 4 years ago, when most of these people would have been just starting college, so the lack of prospects shouldn't come as any surprise.

Maybe that poster was being whiny... I'm just pointing out that there are bigger issues at stake than "I don't want to pay for the education I received". Don't assume anything about another poster, I started college before 2008
  • jeffazi
    jeffazi Posts: 198
    Options
    I don't support forgiving the debt but the interest rates should be adjusted and kept very low. Consolidating and extending the terms to make the payments more realistic is also a good option. I put myself through undergrad and law school working and taking out student loans. When I graduated law school, I consolidated all my loans (at a higher interest rate) and extended the payment period from 9 years to 18 years. I've already paid back my loans. Why should my taxes go to subsidize or payoff others loans?
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I paid off my loans completely last month, and it was one of the best feelings ever to have it paid off 7 years after graduating. I worked my tail off, and you know, it's only fair. I paid mine off, so if the government starts forgiving it, I think I should get reimbursed for all the long hours I put in working so hard to pay mine off. It's only fair, right?
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both about to graduate from college in like two weeks! Neither of us could get a job all throughout school and we do not have jobs lined up after we get out of school. We both went into demanding career fields, Automotives for me and Electronics Engineering for him. We went to a community college, I have no family to speak of and his family can't afford to help us due to his sister's mistakes. I am on welfare, I have medicaid, foodstamps, pell grants, and daycare assistance. We together have racked up $18,500 in debt. We have six months after we graduate to find jobs before we have to pay back our student loans. I came from a very poor, horrible childhood where I raised two kids while I was still a kid myself. He came from a broken home and a difficult childhood also. We have worked damn hard and very lived poorly throughout school, which yes our student loans and our pell grants paid for our 3 bedroom housing (which we had gotten with a roommate who is now gone), vehicle ($900 + gas and parts), books, school supplies and tuition.

HELL NO!

I would rather somebody give my husband and I jobs but if that can't happen then yeah I would like them to at least be put on hold till I can get a job but if that can't happen and it won't (money grubbing companies) then I guess my only option is to have them forgiven.

P.S. Before you say that we haven't gotten jobs because we haven't worked hard enough to find one ( I check into monster.com and indeed.com everyday, I apply and so does my husband to every job we are qualified for including ones where I would have been qualified for in high school) it is because we are losing out to older people with experience and degrees and a bi-polar teacher who can not make up his mind whether I work my a** off or whether I let all the guys do work for me. So I don't want to hear that this is my fault or that I didn't work hard enough you don't know my situation so don't pretend you do.

RANT OVER!
    Im sorry..I didn't realize when I went to college that I was guaranteed a job. I must have missed that class.

A college degree does not promise you a job. It promises you an education. You took out a loan for an education. You got it.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    There are far too many generalization in this thread about people who borrow money. Mortgages and defaulting on them are not as simple as earlier posts have made them out to be. A LOT of people have lost their jobs in the past decade. Companies and governments have downsized their workforce...people lost incomes ....
    And the jobs left the country for the developing world (which no one ever seems to talk about)
    So people (like my mom) started out with a manageable mortgage and student loan payment and all of a sudden found themselves royally screwed. I come for a very hard working family...that has never made a dime in their entire lives. How is that fair?
    I myself worked through HS and during my undergrad...and went to a state school with super low tuition....still ended up with way too much in loans. Joined the Peace Corps....got screwed on perkins loan forgiveness and came home to an extremely changed economy (thanks Bush).
    Even with non-competitive eligibility for gov't jobs I put in somewhere around 200 applications for jobs all over the country and ended up with a mere 3 interviews...I drove Miami to New Jersey for interviews in hopes of finding a job....nada!
    So for a year I worked 2 part time jobs, neither well paid, averaging around 60 hours per week with almost no days off and didn't even make enough to get an apartment of my own.

THIS is the economy we recent grads have been dealing with.
    Don't tell me I don't work hard enough because I'm not currently paying off my loans.

I am currently finishing a masters program (which racked up a whole lot more debt) and really hoping I can find work (ANYWHERE in the world....not picky) that will let me pay off my loans.

I don't take issue with paying back my loans...but there should be better caps on percentage of your income that you're paying and percentage rate. Work with us people!

All student loans have a form you fill out if the payment is too high and they work it out to a payment according to your income and rent. And how can you not afford rent? I work s a full time job and a part time job to pay rent, student loans, etc on my own for 6yrs. They will work with you if you look into stuff. And sometimes you need to take what you can get with jobs. There is no way that you only got 3 interviews. I live in NJ and there are a TON of jobs up here that pay way more than min wage and it is affordable to live.

My loans are deferred right now, and they were reduced before. I'm from CT...I could have..in theory afforded rent but that's about it. Loan payments, food, bills would have taken a back seat so I lived at home an commuted. I promise, I only got 3 interviews and I was applying for multiple jobs every day. I studied marine biology...my options are somewhat restricted. I branched out and applied for every job I was even remotely qualified for... labs, aquariums, government jobs. I registered with temp agencies. I was in NC, and an area of the state which was really suffering (circa 2009) I ended up working for a summer camp and then when that ended I moved (to CT...more jobs but still not great) and started working with my aunt as a dog groomer...then I managed to find a part time, then another. I worked whatever job I could get.
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options

HELL NO!

RANT OVER!

So what?

I had a horrible impoverished childhood, took on $60,000 in loans as a single parent of one, didn't have a job upon graduation and GASP!! I didn't whine and complain and play the victim. I did what I needed to do because failure was not an option. I'm six years into the 10 year repayment period and have not missed a payment nor have I expected someone else to pay it for me.
    Why be so rude? The economy was harder hit in the states. Single parents get grants in Canada so you did have people pay for part of your education (which is also heavily subsidized in Canada).

No and no. It goes back to my previous post. Read it. I also realize you might have reading comprehension problems, so read my second post again.
    I read your post. I am not sure what "no and no" is in response to. Why do you talk down to people? Clearly your $60,000 education did not buy you any class.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Part of the issue is that Universities tend to be fiscal gold fish in that they will raise their tuition to match whatever kind of tuition incentive/relief is provided. When the government made it easier to attain money for tuition, all tuition rates went up to match it, effectively keeping the costs the same.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I paid off my loans completely last month, and it was one of the best feelings ever to have it paid off 7 years after graduating. I worked my tail off, and you know, it's only fair. I paid mine off, so if the government starts forgiving it, I think I should get reimbursed for all the long hours I put in working so hard to pay mine off. It's only fair, right?

totally agree, I will have mine completely paid off in 2years and I can't wait!!! I think we should get reimbursed if they're paying everyone else's off and we have to pay for theirs being paid off
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

HELL NO!

RANT OVER!

So what?

You are failing to see the point. This isn't about people whining, complaining and playing the victim... It's about the fact that people having trouble finding a job after college is a wide spread problem.. and if it doesn't get better there will be more issues that stem from it. (and so you don't yell at me.. I'm not for this bill... I am, however, strongly in favor of dramatic education reform)

I get the point. But the poster I quoted IS playing the victim. Please read my 1st post again where I stated there is NO guarantee of a job after college regardless of the economy. Also I believe the economy fell apart in 2008, 4 years ago, when most of these people would have been just starting college, so the lack of prospects shouldn't come as any surprise.

Maybe that poster was being whiny... I'm just pointing out that there are bigger issues at stake than "I don't want to pay for the education I received". Don't assume anything about another poster, I started college before 2008

I started and finished my first degree during the economic slump of the early 90s. I had student loans. I didn't have a job. I still paid them back and didn't expect the government to forgive them. Those loans are paid off. My second degree was started and finished before the current slump. I happen to be living in the same economy as everyone else here, still paying back my $60K in loans from that degree, and I don't expect the government to repay them.

I'm sorry but as I said before, college education and loans are a risk with no guarantees. You choose to take these on, knowing full well they may not pay off and that you are required to pay them back. That would be the proper time to put a game plan in place in case you don't get a job afterward. If you can't reconcile how you would support yourself and your loans post degree if you didn't get a job (which again isn't guaranteed) then perhaps a college education isn't your best choice.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Total outstanding student loan debt in America is expected to exceed $1 TRILLION this year. Millions of hardworking, taxpaying, educated Americans are being crushed under the weight of their educational debts, while the economy continues to sputter. Support a REAL economic stimulus and jobs plan. Support the Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 (H.R. 4170).

Thoughts??

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Because most of that $1,000,000,000,000 debt is mine.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I paid mine off. I shouldn't have to pay yours off too.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I signed it! (before this) I have 36,000+ dollars of student loan debt and with interest that number never goes down and I cannot afford to pay more than what I do....
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    By the way, I don't have any student loan debt, posted this to get opinions.
  • packersfn7
    packersfn7 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have student debt. So I know the temptation to just say let others pay for it. That's just not right. You borrow the money, you repay. That being said, the interest rates are out of control. They should be illegal. Especially the unsubsidized which start running interest as soon as you borrow the money, not when you are done with school. I also think that tuition is out of control in the first place. It costs too much money to get degrees that don't end up making you much more money than if you never went to school. Finally, the government should prevent people from taking out too much money. If you're 250K in debt, you should not be allowed to borrow more money from the government. Realistically, a person will NEVER be able to repay that. That is just irresponsible.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

HELL NO!

RANT OVER!

So what?

Why be so rude? The economy was harder hit in the states. Single parents get grants in Canada so you did have people pay for part of your education (which is also heavily subsidized in Canada).

No and no. It goes back to my previous post. Read it. I also realize you might have reading comprehension problems, so read my second post again.
    I read your post. I am not sure what "no and no" is in response to. Why do you talk down to people? Clearly your $60,000 education did not buy you any class.

I wasn't heavily subsidized nor subsidized at all, and you are making assumptions about the economy here. Your reading comprehension fail was that the poster was whining about a 18K debt load, and you were claiming I was subsidized and therefore was "rude" but failed to note that my debt was three times as much.

I have plenty of class, however I have a strong BS detector and will call it out. I don't buy the excuses, and just because you don't like it doesn't mean I owe it to you to protect your e-feelings or anyone else's e-feelings. Perhaps you should focus less on the e-meanies being rude and spend more time figuring out how to repay your loans.
  • jeffazi
    Options
    Why does everyone need the government to step in and fix all their problems. We live in a free market society.

No we don't. We live in a corporate controlled society where big business owns Congress and writes the laws that "govern" them. We live in a society where big oil gets massive tax credits and the effective corporate tax rates are so low that companies like GE pay no taxes at all. The "free market" is a theoretical construct used by economists in creating and testing models. There is no such thing as a free market. Never has been. Never will be. The problem that the government needs to address is high interest rates, predatory collection practices, excessive fees and penalties, and the bankruptcy code. It's a travesty that the rich can declare bankruptcy and wipe out or dramatically restructure their debt but student loans are off the table? Wall Street caused most of the economic issues we are facing now but it's the taxpayers who are on the hook. Financial deregulation was the culprit. Now, the rest of the country is struggling to find work or to find work at a livable wage. The assault on unions, teachers, public servants, and the middle class continues but the rich keep getting tax cuts, tax credits, and special favors from Congress. I agree that students need to pay back their loans but students need relief. They need lowered interest rates, elimination of excessive penalties and fees, and consolidation options to spread the loans out over much longer periods of time. Taxpayers should be more than willing to help out because if we don't, our future tax base will be so far underwater they will never come to the surface. We can pay now or pay a much higher price later.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options

I think you should. Thanks in advance! :)
  • jmcclain75
    Options
    Wow . . . a can of worms were opened with this topic!! LOL, I respect ALL opinions, but since I'm a grad school student (with a full-time job), I'll keep my opinions to myself (cause I'm "scured." LOL
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Here's the interesting thing--the banks/lending firms are loaning you money they don't even have. They are counting on the fact that the interest you pay back will make them break even. "Forgiving" your student loan just means that they won't get the credit back. They have nowhere near that much physical money in their vaults. We might as well be playing with Monopoly money.
  • jeffazi
    Options

I think you should. Thanks in advance! :)

LOL!