is a calorie just a calorie?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

okay so we're clear. here is my debate.

1. those studies are BS, as most are. So those aren't valid.
    I think some of them even use BIA method to calculate Bodyfat, obviously hydration plays a role in this and we know the effect of low carb diets and hydration.

2. TEF, i claim there is a metabolic advantage to low carb diets assuming calorie consumption is equal. I was slightly confused on joe's comment about this.

3. Insulin, any program that reduces weight will automatically reduce insulin. Don't get sassy with the fat consumption.
    If carb reduction didn't have any effect on insulin i'd agree. As I said if you reduce calories, do low carb, paleo, or whatever you do... it will reduce insulin.

ETA: I think a big problem is "theoretical" weight loss and actual weight loss. In theory i can lose 2lbs a week consuming lets say 2,500 calories. If most of my calories come from carbs, it doesn't happen. If most come from protein it does. In theory the carbs would produce the same effect, being calorie per calorie.

Hold protein and cals constant which would have a higher TEF a high cho/low fat or high fat/low cho diet?

And yet even though fasting insulin greatly decreases in low carb, they don't show significantly greater fat loss, holding cals and protein constant. oops

Okay i'll agree with you in this case in terms of TEF. The moderate carb based group would have a higher TEF. Yet weight loss is still the same.

You still haven't answered me, what was your cutting method. I also know you're bulking or where bulking, i know you're not bulking eating lean cuts of meats.

PS, is there any studies of these type of diets on leaner individuals?

I'll have to look for ones on leaner individuals, most I've seen are done on overweight/obese. I've seen some overfeeding trials in lean individuals but that doesn't really apply here

I leaned out on low to moderate carbs and moderate fats, in favor of higher protein.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Joejccva -

Okay, Joe, you're 100% correct. Eat those 14 Twinkies a day. Have some Ring Dings too, okay? I don't know what your goals are, but really - I'm 14% body fat right now. Where are you? Looking at your photo, I'd put you at 22%. Maybe higher.

I don't ask homeless people for financial advice, if you get my meaning.

Sadly you resort to insults.

And if you think my photo here is 22% you havef really no clue how to visually determine bf%'s. I was between 13-15% then. And I do have both short term and long term goals.

Short Term Goals
    Cut to 10% bf.
    Increase progression in Leg Press to 825x3x8 (where I was last year), Bench Press to 235x3x8, T-Bar Row to 180x3x6, and DB Military Press to 60x3x10 (almost tore my cuff last year).

Long Term Goals
    Perform a 5 month bulk (after cutting to 10%), and attempt to gain 12lbs of muscle (24lbs overall). Then cut back down again.
    increase all lift progression while training up strength in tendons to support heavier weight.
    Be able to start performing full squats again since surgery.
  • imbanter
    imbanter Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A calorie is just a calorie as proven by the K-State professor who lost 27 pounds eating nothing but an 1,800 calorie a day diet of junk food. HOWEVER, I think Wackyfunster completely addressed the issues of such a diet.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Joejccva -

Okay, Joe, you're 100% correct. Eat those 14 Twinkies a day. Have some Ring Dings too, okay? I don't know what your goals are, but really - I'm 14% body fat right now. Where are you? Looking at your photo, I'd put you at 22%. Maybe higher.

And if you think my photo here is 22% you havef really no clue how to visually determine bf%'s. I was between 13-15% then. And I do have both short term and long term goals.

Short Term Goals
    Cut to 10% bf.
    Increase progression in Leg Press to 825x3x8 (where I was last year), Bench Press to 235x3x8, T-Bar Row to 180x3x6, and DB Military Press to 60x3x10 (almost tore my cuff last year).

Long Term Goals
    Perform a 5 month bulk (after cutting to 10%), and attempt to gain 12lbs of muscle (24lbs overall). Then cut back down again.
    increase all lift progression while training up strength in tendons to support heavier weight.

I resort to insults Joe? You basically told me to shut up in your first response to my post, or do I need to remind you of this gem: "do more research before commenting". I feel under no obligation to be polite with you. You want a civil debate, then engage in one. And there is no way you were at 15% with zero ab definition.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Fasting: While in a fasted state, your body will burn body fat almost exclusively for the first 72 hours. Regular 16-24 hour fasts provide a huge boost to fat loss. Women can see substantial fat loss after 14 hours fasted due to higher leptin levels than men, in general (a healthy woman will have somewhere between 2-15x as much leptin as a healthy man, which means weight loss is substantially easier).

I question anything past 16 hours, hence the reason Berkhan does NOT recommend going beyond a 16/8 fasting program for fat loss. Anything over 16 hours and 50% of amino acids contribute to glucose maintenance, and almost 100% at 28 hours (when liver glycogen has been depleted).

Again, I'm not questioning whether or not fasting burns fat, but it also will burn muscle after a prolonged fasting session.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a unit of measurement of energy- in that sense a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. The less processed a food is, the more your body has to do to release that calorie.

Depending on your goals, the digestion rate of different foods can help or hinder your progress. Look specifically at whey vs. casein protein. Whey is very fast digesting and easily absorbed, which is great for post workout recovery. Casein is slow digesting and often used by people trying to add mass, and is sometimes used just before going to bed so that you will continue to digest protein throughout the night. For the exact same calorie and macronutrient counts, they behave differently in your body.

I like to think of fiber and vitamin/mineral/antioxidant micronutrients as the "benefits" and the macronutrients as the "salary". If you can get the benefits for free why would I choose the salary without benefits?
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Joejccva -

Short Term Goals
    Cut to 10% bf.

Long Term Goals

I resort to insults Joe? You basically told me to shut the hell up in your first response to my post, or do I need to remind you of this gem: "do more research before commenting". I feel under no obligation to be polite with you. You want a civil debate, then engage in one. And there is no way you were at 15% with zero ab definition, you're pudgy.

15% is not ab definition. 11% and lower you get definition.

Explain how "do more research before commenting" is an insult. Are you that sensitive? =)
  • earlyxer
    Options

I resort to insults Joe? You basically told me to shut the hell up in your first response to my post, or do I need to remind you of this gem: "do more research before commenting". I feel under no obligation to be polite with you. You want a civil debate, then engage in one. And there is no way you were at 15% with zero ab definition, you're pudgy.

Explain how "do more research before commenting" is an insult. Are you that sensitive? =)

Joe, my photo is 15% body fat. Maybe even 17%, it's a little old. Now look at your abdomen and tell me that you were lower than that. Not remotely possibly, there is no hint of abs. You do need 10% or so for the six-pack to start to pop, but there is not even a hint on you.

And yeah - telling me that I need to do more research before you will allow me to speak is insulting.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Joejccva -

Do you think you're in the position to insult other people's physiques?

EDIT: For the record, I think it's uncalled for regardless of what you, or Joe, look like.
  • Acg67
    Options

Joe, my photo is 15% body fat. Maybe even 17%, it's a little old. Now look at your abdomen and tell me that you were lower than that. Not remotely. And yeah - telling me that I need to do more research before you will allow me to speak is insulting.

When people run out of legit arguments they resort to physique bashing.

Have you substantiated your assertion that eating certain foods while in a hypocaloric state will make you fatter? Or was that just made up?
  • earlyxer
    Options
    Joejccva -

Do you think you're in the position to insult other people's physiques?

Not a bit, I'm not a body builder. Never claimed to be, I only started serious exercise at 44 so I never will be either, Sidesteal. But Joe can defend himself.
  • earlyxer
    Options
    Acg7 - I never said anything of the sort (that you would get fatter), if you go back to Page 1. I said a calorie wasn't a calorie and that you would not reach your goals (unless they are very modest goals) on the Twinkie Diet. I also advocated high protein meats/eggs and fibrous vegetables as the basis of a good fat loss diet.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Acg7 - I never said anything of the sort (that you would get fatter), if you go back to Page 1. I said a calorie wasn't a calorie and that you would not reach your goals (unless they are very modest goals) on the Twinkie Diet. I also advocated high protein meats/eggs and fibrous vegetables as the basis of a good fat loss diet.

And what did you mean by the below, particularly the bolded?
    I'd like YOU tell me how juicing an orange versus eating an orange is the same thing, because it's not. That's like saying eating boiled wheat is the same as eating wheat flour of the same portion. How your body has to process food has a huge impact on whether you store it as fat or use it as fuel. Every time you process it, sugar/carbs go up, fiber goes down, and nutrition is lost, regardless of whether you are in calorie surplus or deficit.
  • ahsats
    ahsats Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You boys are catty little things.
  • earlyxer
    Options

I'd like YOU tell me how juicing an orange versus eating an orange is the same thing, because it's not. That's like saying eating boiled wheat is the same as eating wheat flour of the same portion. How your body has to process food has a huge impact on whether you store it as fat or use it as fuel. Every time you process it, sugar/carbs go up, fiber goes down, and nutrition is lost, regardless of whether you are in calorie surplus or deficit.

Acg67 -

I think the bolded portion is self explanatory, so I'm not quite certain what you would like me to expound. What I am saying is that if you take a whole food, for example an apple, and you make from it apple cider and drink it, all the cells have been opened and all the liquid (essentially sugar water) has been released. This is different than you eating the apple, where chunks of it enter your gut and your body is then required to expend energy to release the sugars, therefore reducing net calories that are available to you. Therefore, eating the apple is better for fat loss than drinking the cider (not that fruit is wonderful for fat loss, but you get the point). Basically, the calories are time-released to your system instead of coming in bursts.

In the same vein, a whole grain is better than a whole flour is better than a white flour. The more complex the carb, the better it is for fat loss, and every time you process it before you eat it, you make it easier for your body to get the calories - which is inimical to calorie control and weight loss. Even cooking a food breaks it down so that your body digests it more easily.

Is that more clear?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    You boys are catty little things.

Isn't it great? *watches all the abs fill up the thread*
  • Acg67
    Options

Acg67 -

I think the bolded portion is self explanatory, so I'm not quite certain what you would like me to expound. What I am saying is that if you take a whole food, for example an apple, and you make from it apple cider and drink it, all the cells have been opened and all the liquid (essentially sugar water) has been released. This is different than you eating the apple, where chunks of it enter your gut and your body is then required to expend energy to release the sugars, therefore reducing net calories that are available to you. Therefore, eating the apple is better for fat loss than drinking the cider (not that fruit is wonderful for fat loss, but you get the point). Basically, the calories are time-released to your system instead of coming in bursts.

In the same vein, a whole grain is better than a whole flour is better than a white flour. The more complex the carb, the better it is for fat loss, and every time you process it before you eat it, you make it easier for your body to get the calories - which is inimical to calorie control and weight loss.

Is that more clear?

Not really, when does it get stored as fat in a hypocaloric state and your assertion that complex carbs are better for weight loss doesn't appear to be true. Low GI carbs are associated with being more complex, right? Well...
    An 18-mo randomized trial of a low-glycemic-index diet and weight change in Brazilian women

http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/3/707.abstract

Conclusions: Long-term weight changes were not significantly different between the HGI and LGI diet groups; therefore, this study does not support a benefit of an LGI diet for weight control. Favorable changes in lipids confirmed previous results.
    Reduced glycemic index and glycemic load diets do not increase the effects of energy restriction on weight loss and insulin sensitivity in obese men and women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16177201

In summary, lowering the glycemic load and glycemic index of weight reduction diets does not provide any added benefit to energy restriction in promoting weight loss in obese subjects.
    Long-term effects of 2 energy-restricted diets differing in glycemic load on dietary adherence, body composition, and metabolism in CALERIE: a 1-y randomized controlled trial

http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/4/1023.abstract?ijkey=57903af923cb2fcdc065ffd37b00a32e22f4c5cf&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Conclusions:These findings provide more detailed evidence to suggest that diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.
    No effect of a diet with a reduced glycaemic index on satiety, energy intake and body weight in overweight and obese women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17923862

CONCLUSION:
    This study provides no evidence to support an effect of a reduced GI diet on satiety, energy intake or body weight in overweight/obese women. Claims that the GI of the diet per se may have specific effects on body weight may therefore be misleading.
    Diaz EO et. al. Glycaemic index effects on fuel partitioning in humans. Obes Rev. (2006) 7:219-26.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2006.00225.x/full

Summary
    The purpose of this review was to examine the role of glycaemic index in fuel partitioning and body composition with emphasis on fat oxidation/storage in humans. This relationship is based on the hypothesis postulating that a higher serum glucose and insulin response induced by high-glycaemic carbohydrates promotes lower fat oxidation and higher fat storage in comparison with low-glycaemic carbohydrates. Thus, high-glycaemic index meals could contribute to the maintenance of excess weight in obese individuals and/or predispose obesity-prone subjects to weight gain. Several studies comparing the effects of meals with contrasting glycaemic carbohydrates for hours, days or weeks have failed to demonstrate any differential effect on fuel partitioning when either substrate oxidation or body composition measurements were performed. Apparently, the glycaemic index-induced serum insulin differences are not sufficient in magnitude and/or duration to modify fuel oxidation.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have thought about this question a lot. The way I see it is that no it is not. If you eat metabolism boosting, vitamin packed foods then you are much better off. Not only are you getting all your nutrients from your food, but you are also helping your body to function at it's full capability. Not only that, but many of these vitamin packed foods help with cancer prevention too which is an added benefit.
  • 2monthstogo
    Options
    Out of all the posts, this one is actually the most accurate. Eating certian foods is vital to a healthy weight loss. His example with the organes was absolutely bang on!
  • juliet81
    juliet81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is all vey interesting.............

Regarding piont 6- as well as repair muscle, Your body will use more calories to digest protien as it is harder to break down, this is why it keeps you fuller for longer, thus promotig matabolism ticking over thoughout the day. lots of protien wont be stored as fat but will be chained up for amino acids.......however to much protien can be bad for the kidneys (everything in moderation).

I am loving this thread :)

My Tip of the day is to have a protein shake before bed- I do this for recovery through the night, my matabolism will be working no point starving it for 8 hours oh!!! and as i said before protien takes longer to break down this = burning more calories as I sleep :)

JU