Not trying to offend annyone so please read with an open min

Options
OK fitness pals, I have a question that I thought of today:

Does sex count as cardio?? And if so, how many calories does one burn during a session?

Yes, this is a serious question.

Andrea

Replies

• virginiakatie
    Options
    That is an awesome question.
    Eagerly waiting for the answer... :tongue:
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Wear a heart rate monitor next time. That's my best guess. Good question though!!
    :laugh: :drinker: :laugh:
  • andreasoulcastle
    andreasoulcastle Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing a lot about these heart rate monitors, what brand or model would you suggest I look into?
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I don't have one either, but I hear Polar is a good brand :happy:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Look at the activity calculator at caloriesperhour.com :)
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    fitday.com also gives calorie counts for such activities. :flowerforyou:
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think the calculators wouldn't give the best answers on this because there could be a large variety in what you do. Your best bet would be a HRM, but, I don't think I could do that either. I'd be too busy laughing to get anywhere.:laugh:
  • delliponti
    Options
    Depends on the amount of energy and time ,you spend on it .
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I often asked myself the same question.....

I don't have a heart rate monitor but thought maybe when I get one it would be good to use to track this. Then I thought - what could kill the mood more than me needed to grab my HRM? I'm sure my husband would love to "wait" just so I can track my calories burned. :wink: YEAH RIGHT!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't personally think it would be appropriate to count burned calories while making love. And that is just MY opinion. But, if you want to keep up with things maybe use one of your regular exercises that makes you feel comprable to how you feel after doing "it". :laugh: I know for me that some times are more intense than others, so switch it up how your entering it to reflect it's intensity.

Well thats just my opinion! Happy humping! :laugh:
  • virginiakatie
    Options
    well according to fitday... sexual intercourse taking moderate effort for 30 minutes would burn 41 calories.... interesting, lol
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    im thinkin if you have to log THOSE calories you arent doing enough other exercise.... LOL
  • virginiakatie
    Options
    hey every calorie burned is important :) lol
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

"If you're movin', you're losin"

Cardio is cardio :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    im thinkin if you have to log THOSE calories you arent doing enough other exercise.... LOL

I'm thinking your love life must be pretty lame because great sex is steamy and sweaty and full of cardio and definitely a GREAT calorie burner........if you get enough of it you really wouldn't need much other exercise other than strenght training to tone. Sex it up mama! :wink:
  • herowithinyou
    Options
    *grins* I love this question and I've been wondering the same thing. I suppose it would just depend on how much, you know, effort you put into it :tongue:
  • andreasoulcastle
    andreasoulcastle Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I often asked myself the same question.....

I don't have a heart rate monitor but thought maybe when I get one it would be good to use to track this. Then I thought - what could kill the mood more than me needed to grab my HRM? I'm sure my husband would love to "wait" just so I can track my calories burned. :wink: YEAH RIGHT!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't personally think it would be appropriate to count burned calories while making love. And that is just MY opinion. But, if you want to keep up with things maybe use one of your regular exercises that makes you feel comprable to how you feel after doing "it". :laugh: I know for me that some times are more intense than others, so switch it up how your entering it to reflect it's intensity.

Well thats just my opinion! Happy humping! :laugh:

Hahahaha I didn't even think about how much of a mood stopper this might be trying to figure out the cals during!!!! I was wondering more about an estimate to add to my exercise for the day... if, you know ...I do engage in this activity for the day, I was also wondering if it was exercise enough to even add to my daily exercise log.

also thx everyone for the replies, interesting to see that some of these calorie calculators have a sexual intercourse category :laugh: :blushing: :blushing:

Andrea
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have wondered the same thing and was afriad to ask!! Thank you for being brave for those of us who wanted to know and were embarrassed to actually ask!! :wink:

Susan

254666.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • butterfly25
    butterfly25 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i wanted to know to...but was to afraid to bring it up...:blushing:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    OK fitness pals, I have a question that I thought of today:

Does sex count as cardio?? And if so, how many calories does one burn during a session?

Yes, this is a serious question.

Andrea

I'd have been "Twiggy" if it burned anything at all, so I knew without even checking it out that it DOESN'T burn hardly any calories! :laugh: :sad:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Sexual intercourse has long been known as a super healthy activity with many benefits. One of these benefits is weight loss. In a 30 minute session of lovemaking you can burn anywhere between 80 to 200 calories (depending on how rigorous the session, positions used, among other factors).

If you make love 3 times a week, you can burn 7,500 calorie annually which is the equivalent of what you would achieve if you jog for 75 miles! Imagine that!

Indeed, sex may be the ultimate diet supplement as it not only burns calories but also:

1. Improves cardiovascular fitness due to your heavy breathing and increased heart rate during lovemaking.

2. Tones the muscles, including several muscle groups that rarely come into play during your regular routine.

3. Reduces stress which is know to contribute to weight gain especially around the abdominals. Reducing stress can also help reduce the risk of heart diseases and other illnesses.

4. Helps you sleep better. Studies show that people who sleep better than others tend to lose weight faster.

All in all, going on a sex diet is a very good idea. Of course, you can't stay in bed all day long. You do need to do regular workouts and to watch your nutrition. However, as lovemaking is a lot of fun and helps to keep the flames of desire running between you and your mate, it's a good idea to make it part of your routine.

Having sex can help you lose weight and become even more sexy.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Calories-Burned-During-Sex---Is-There-Really-a-Sex-Diet?&id=2525229