Iron level help!

Options
I'm anemic and have run out of iron supplements, I've started getting dizzy and the dark circles under my eyes are coming back.. Does anyone know what foods are high in iron? (that isn't meat)

Replies

• alexngbr
    alexngbr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try spinach, kale, watercress, nuts, apricots, prunes, raisins.
    Although if you're feeling that unwell it might be an idea to see a doctor?
  • BerkshireFitness
    Options
    Meat free sources are dark-green leafy vegetables, such as watercress and curly kale, iron-fortified bread and cereals, beans & lentils, nuts, apricots, prunes and raisins.
  • Blackbird16
    Options
    Thanks for the replies
    I have seen a doctor, I got put on some supplements but I can't afford them at the moment so I was hoping to find something more affordable for in the meantime
  • Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am iron related anemic too, and unfortunately, if you are like me, it doesn't matter what you eat. You have to take the supplements. I have tried high iron diets, but medically I am screwed. I know that my integra (awesome super prescription iron) is too expensive some months (COME ON GENERICS!) but over the counter supplements aren't terrible. But I have to take 4 for every one of my prescriptions.

Trust me, it isn't something you want to mess with. :(

Also, I do smoothies with bananas, ice, spinach and orange juice and strawberries. You can't taste the spinach (it ain't pretty) but orange juice makes iron absorption easier. And bananas are also high in iron. And obviously, avoid calcium for two hours before and after taking iron.
  • Hazeleys
    Hazeleys Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am anemic as well, but can't tolerate taking iron supplements. I have started eating a serving of Total cereal with milk for breakfast. Total has 100% of daily value of Iron as well as many other minerals and vitamins. Not sure if it is absorbed as well as the iron supplement I was taking, but I don't have the side effects either!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    the iron in spinach is not easily absorbed. meat really is the best source. make sure you are getting enough B12, if you are vegetarian you could be deficient.

you should go to your doc for more supplements, chelated iron is best.

( just heard this info yesterday on a health show)
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    dark green leafy veggies (spinach, kale, etc.) peanuts/pb, red meat and beans are all good options
  • charfromdarock
    Options
    No matter what I eat, I need to take supplements. Even the over the counter ones are better than nothing.

Beans & dried fruits are higher in iron.
  • eodvarka
    eodvarka Posts: 30
    Options
    Lots of cereals and foods like spinach and red meat and lentils.
    I have extreme anemia, too (diagnosed last year), and it really does suck.
    Pair these foods with vitamin C to help the absorption (like an orange, orange juice, etc).
    I REALLY love the cereal Quaker Oat Squares--- they're DELICIOUS, and one serving contains 90% of your iron intake :D
  • Sabine321
    Sabine321 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Green veggies and red ones too. Beets and beet juice are very good. Or everything red I was told before. Cherry, Grapes...not sure how much is in there but it helps. If you eat meat, liver works too...lol
  • alicepoppyh
    Options
    I'm a little anaemic but try to do without supplements, some good non-meat ones are spinach, kale, brocolli, dark green cabbage, pumpkin & sunflower seeds, lentils, lots of kinds of beans, cereals... and my personal favourite excuse- Guinness :) (ok so it's not that high but it's there!)
  • cainie19
    cainie19 Posts: 126
    Options
    brocolli, spinach, chocolate has a little iron in too ;) also cinnamon has an unexpected amount of iron in it! try some cinnamon :)
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Molasses has some. Do you eat seafood? Mussels are a great source of iron.
  • darsh11
    darsh11 Posts: 98
    Options
    I am also anemic. My doc reccommended vitamed.com. They have a 150mg iron supplement that is not too expensive. She also recommended taking the iron with B-12 to help it be absorbed into the blood better.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Guiness. Just an inch or so in a glass, not much. Used to be prescibed but that's fallen out of fashion rather, especially given it's mostly pregnant women with iron deficiency...
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Google a list of high iron foods. Eating heme & nonheme iron together helps absorption, as does having vitamin c with iron. Calcium hinders absorption, so try not to eat iron-rich and calcium-rich foods together.

That said, if you know the dose you were Rx'd, you can pick up both iron & vitamin c over the counter for about $5 a bottle.

I take 300mg of ferrous gluconate (70mg elemental iron) daily (with 1500mg vit c) that I got OTC (in addition to a higher iron diet), because when I was Rx'd it, I found out that my insurance doesn't cover 'nutritional supplements' so my doc suggested just picking some up at Walmart for cheapness. :)
  • darsh11
    darsh11 Posts: 98
    Options
    sorry the website is vitamedmd.com
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I am iron related anemic too, and unfortunately, if you are like me, it doesn't matter what you eat. You have to take the supplements. I have tried high iron diets, but medically I am screwed. I know that my integra (awesome super prescription iron) is too expensive some months (COME ON GENERICS!) but over the counter supplements aren't terrible. But I have to take 4 for every one of my prescriptions.

Trust me, it isn't something you want to mess with. :(

Also, I do smoothies with bananas, ice, spinach and orange juice and strawberries. You can't taste the spinach (it ain't pretty) but orange juice makes iron absorption easier. And bananas are also high in iron. And obviously, avoid calcium for two hours before and after taking iron.

Like you I could never eat enough food to cover my deficit, I take iron twice a day and I eat right too. I am back at the doctors office in the morning for a blood test and I'm hoping that I can get down to 1 pill a day. Don't mess with this ladies, it's not worth it.
  • Blackbird16
    Options
    Wow have to say thanks again for all the replies!
    Hmm.. I'll definitely have a look around for a cheaper iron supplement tomorrow, as well as some of the the foods mentioned because it'd be great to be able to work them into my diet, just invade I get into a situation like this again :s

Thanks again! :)
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    Which supplement were you on? My iron was super low, and I got put on ICAR-C and my levels went back to normal in 2-3 months.

Also, I have a smoothie recipe that is almost the daily recommended dose of iron. If you have access to Sam's and can get their Naturade protein powder or find one similar, here is the recipe. You can get the green max powder from swansonsvitamins.com

2 cups soy milk
    2 scoops protein powder
    1 scoop green max powder
    1 cup plain greek yogurt
    1/3-1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
    2 tbs flax seeds
    1 tbs chia seeds