input on lap band surgery

Options
124»

Replies

• jenscot25
    jenscot25 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was scheduled to have lapband surgery may 18, 2011. May 16 I broke my ankle which resulted in a blood clot so I was unable to have it done. I am happy about this now since I know I personally was doing it for the wrong reasons. I wanted an "easy" fix but after I did some research I new there would be nothing easy about it. I just asked and received a refund of my down payment and decided that it wasn't going to fix anything for me and could actually make some things worse for me. I think it's a great tool for some people who are in it for the right reasons.

Also my sister had gastric bypass about 3 years ago. She was 296 pounds, lost about 100 pounds and is currently at 225. She was never a drinker prior but became an alcoholic afterwards. She cheats with food. She will eat very fattening junk food all the time and never worked out once. Like she says, you can fit a lot off m&m's in a little pouch. She knows her downfalls and struggles with it frequently. I've also known people who this worked great for. Being a nurse, I've seen both sides.

I say do your research. A person can never have enough information. :happy:
  • jenscot25
    jenscot25 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I think the best thing for those considering any weight loss surgery is to commit to a year of consistent diet and exercise first. If after that you still have over 100 lbs to lose, look at adding surgery to your plan.

In that first year you will learn a lot about calories, portion sizes, nutrition, etc., and hopefully experience some measure of success. But most of all, that year will give you a set of habits that will help you maintain whatever weight you lose from the surgery.

This is an excellent idea! They should make this a requirement before you are allowed to have the surgery. That way you know whether you can maintain the lifestyle necessary to make the surgery a success. Of course, the docs probably won't do that, because people would lose on their own and realize they don't need the surgery, putting the docs out of business!

FYI --- I know plenty of WLS patients who had to go through a pre-diet/exercise regime for at least 6 months prior to surgery, along with nutrition counseling, etc to even get the surgery approved. Its not like you walk in the door and bam, surgery! They make them attempt to lose the weight prior too...

Its all different for each person.

AGAIN, its a tool.

Research, research, research... Its great if you don't want an invasive surgery. If it doesn't work for you, you can have it removed and your stomach goes back to what it was like. The lapband really isn't for a person who has binge habits. Because as others mentioned, you can still sabotage yourself.

I've been banded for almost 2 years... I initial lost 30lbs, then had other medical issues not related to the band 4 months out. After a year of resolving those... I went back to getting fills and trying to get a good spot. It took me 18 months for it to click in my head that I WAS MY OWN WORST ENEMY. Since then, back on track and losing. And in fact just had a fill done. Eating less and feeling fuller for longer periods of time.

BTW...... no issues after surgery at all. Up and walking around, went back to work within a few days.

Again, its a tool..... just like other weight loss methods used.

I just wanted to mention that money talks. If you're private pay, you can find someone at a credited institution to do the surgery with no prior weight loss or exercise program. I'm sure they figure it's your money, if you want to blow it and not be successful, that's your business! My BMI wasn't even high enough for their cut off but since I had high blood pressure, chronic kidney disease and I was private pay I got it scheduled within 6 weeks of calling the surgery center. Like I said in a previous post, I was going to do it for the wrong reasons and I know that now. I'm glad I broke my ankle--perhaps some divine intervention...:glasses:
  • paper_doll_
    Options
    I just wanted to mention that money talks. If you're private pay, you can find someone at a credited institution to do the surgery with no prior weight loss or exercise program. I'm sure they figure it's your money, if you want to blow it and not be successful, that's your business! My BMI wasn't even high enough for their cut off but since I had high blood pressure, chronic kidney disease and I was private pay I got it scheduled within 6 weeks of calling the surgery center. Like I said in a previous post, I was going to do it for the wrong reasons and I know that now. I'm glad I broke my ankle--perhaps some divine intervention...:glasses:

The requirements here in Australia to have the surgery are a BMI over a certain level, or if your BMI is lower (still needs to be in the very overweight/obese range) they will consider you as a candidate if you have co-morbidities such as blood pressure issues, and I would imagine things like kidney disease would be taken into consideration as well. Generally speaking, people with serious co-morbidities and other health issues are pushed through as a more urgent case.

I had a BMI well over the cut-off, but with no co-morbidities I had to wait 6 months plus to get the surgery even though I was paying privately. I had to show evidence of previous attempts to lose weight as well.

I think it depends on your surgeon somewhat. I know that here in Australia there are pretty strict guidelines as to who is eligible for the surgery, even if you are paying privately.. whether or not surgeons stick to these guidelines is another matter I suppose.
  • ablake80
    ablake80 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

The requirements here in Australia to have the surgery are a BMI over a certain level, or if your BMI is lower (still needs to be in the very overweight/obese range) they will consider you as a candidate if you have co-morbidities such as blood pressure issues, and I would imagine things like kidney disease would be taken into consideration as well. Generally speaking, people with serious co-morbidities and other health issues are pushed through as a more urgent case.

I had a BMI well over the cut-off, but with no co-morbidities I had to wait 6 months plus to get the surgery even though I was paying privately. I had to show evidence of previous attempts to lose weight as well.

I think it depends on your surgeon somewhat. I know that here in Australia there are pretty strict guidelines as to who is eligible for the surgery, even if you are paying privately.. whether or not surgeons stick to these guidelines is another matter I suppose.

I agree... Private Pay has nothing to do with it. Its your doctor. So maybe you had the wrong doctor, one who really doesn't care.

I went through insurance and they require as I said... at least 6 months, maybe more time. Some insurances don't require that, my own didn't. But then again, each insurance company has different things they require outside of that. I had 100 lbs or more to lose, that I'm still working on losing. And yes, its only 1-2 lbs a week... and guess what, I'm fine with it. I was not expecting the lapband to drop off 5lb losses a week. Its expected that you will lose slower with a lapband than any other WLS.

The thing about this, I don't think anyone is saying its the thing to do for everyone. We all are individuals and can work the band for ourselves. Or even other WLS.

As others have mentioned, research extensively and choose what is BEST for you. Simple.
  • opikelis
    Options
    I had the surgery 2 months ago so i am new in the banded world. i have lost 37 pounds but it is work. I eat around 1200 calories a day and work out 4 to 5 days a week. Could i do it without the band? Yes. I have lost and gained the same weight my whole life. My hope with the band is this tool will help keep it off. i will have to do all the work. I personally know 5 other people who have had the band and all of them told me it is not an easy way to lose weight. The people i know follow the rules and have maintained their weight loss. It is not the best choice for everyone and i did it for me no one else. I feel this is the best thing i could have done and i had to private pay my insurance did not cover it. my BMI was over 50. I think if you are not 100 pounds overweight you shouldn’t even think about it.
  • jb21love
    jb21love Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was banded January of 2011 and it has been the best thing I have ever done!!!! I feel great!!! I have lost 65Lbs and need 30 more to get to goal. I have not had ANY complication besides not chewing my food enough and it getting stuck. Getting the lap band or any type of weight loss surgery (WLS) is not a quick fix or the end to your weight loss fight. it is only a tool! I still have to watch what i eat, exercise and follow the Lap band rules. Even with WLS, diet and exercise, i still have to deal with my emotional issues to why i am fat. Without working on my emotional issues, the old habits will reemerge and the weight will start packing on and I have no intention of that happening. Getting WLS is not an "easy fix" but it has been the GREATEST thing I have ever done and I DO NOT regret it at all!!!!!
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    My grandma had lap band surgery and it didn't really work. I think the other surgery is a better option. Lap band only works if you can control yourself because you can stretch your stomach back out through eating habits. My grandma's lap band actually started to attach itself to her stomach and she had to have a huge surgery to have it removed so needless say, I can't really call myself a fan.
  • mandirae4
    Options
    I love my lap band and from experience I have lost 72 pounds. It is a tool and you still have to eat right and exercise...The band is WONDERFUL!!!!!!
  • sharifit53
    sharifit53 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow... my lap band surgery is coming soon... before it got this close all I ever heard about bariatric surgery was WISH I'D DONE IT SOONER!..... Now all I'm seeing out here is problems.

Please respond if:

You are at least 3 years past surgery date
    You have lost 50% or more of your excess body weight
    You have not had major health issues or repeat surgeries.

I need to know that (and if) you are out there.

Thanks from an Impending Bander,
    Sharifit53
  • sharifit53
    Options
    How long since your surgery?
  • sharifit53
    Options
    Would like ongoing contact with all success stories! My surgery date will be set soon.

Sharifit53
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I had it a lap band about 5 years ago but I was only able to keep it 5 months. :sad: For me, the band slipped. I was one of the few that this happens to and it was one of the hardest things to go through because I had lost a LOT of weight (80 lbs) in that short amount of time. I quickly gained the weight back after they took out the band (could not be replaced due to scar tissue) and then proceeded to gain another 60 on top of that. Ugh!! After several years of "poor me"ism, I'm almost back down to where I was when it slipped. :love:

Do I regret having the surgery? No way! I loved that thing...It really helped me have that "full" feeling and I felt such complete control over food. Unfortunately, some people don't use the tool they're given (you can most definitely eat around the band - cookies, ice cream, chips, etc. go right through) and don't lose the weight or lose some and then start gaining again. You still have to be willing to change your eating habits.

I have 2 MFP pals that have had it done and they are doing wonderfully! Eating healthy, exercising, and using their "tool" properly. It's a personal choice and one that should be made with a lot of thought.

Just my personal experience with it...good luck in your decision. :flowerforyou:
  • ladyprincess99
    ladyprincess99 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I know a few people that had the lapband realize done in real life and on youtube and they all seem to be doing fine. I couldn't do it but I don't knock anyone that has it done, It is just a tool like someone here said, You still have to put in the work to lose the weight.
  • Bajankat
    Bajankat Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am 3 months post Lapband surgery. I started out at 260 lbs and now I'm 229. Due to the nutritional classes I have finally learned how to properly eat. I have a rather slow weight loss due to the fact that three weeks after surgery, my gall bladder attacked me (not because I did anything wrong) but it was bad from the start and once I had the surgery It brought that issue to the forefront. I am glad of this. While in my 5day hospital stint they removed the saline in my band thinking it was the band that was maybe too tight causing me to constantly burp a loud hiccuppy belch. That wasn't the problem but I'm glad they checked all avenues. Long story short, I have now had my second fill and the weight is now coming off along with exercise. I am glad I got the band and wouldn't change the way I did it. To reiterate what several people have said, The surgery is only a tool, you do have to put in the work in order to get the full benefits of it. For those of you that said you thought of it but decided against it because you still have to do the work, maybe it isn't so easy for some people to lose and the surgery is a helpfull tool to get you started along your way. I say to all thats considering it, do the research, pay attention to the teachings in the classes and if you are going to go through all of that make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. If not it will not work! I saw people in some of my classes sleeping, to them I said they will not make it. Good luck with which every way you chose just be certain that is the way you want to go.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If you have not had the lap band surgery, I would encourage you avoid it if at all possible. While lap band surgery is not quite as invasive as some weight loss surgeries, it has it's share of serious complications:

http://bmi.ucsd.edu/weight-loss-surgery/lap-band/Pages/risks.aspx

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forum/70-lap-band-complications
  • Angelgirl040688
    Angelgirl040688 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i to had the lap band surgery done in nov 2010. and like u my gallbladder started acting up after so i hade it remove about 2 months later... i had lost 60lbs in about 7months, but then began to fall back on my old ways and kept canceling my appointments to get a fill.. so i eventually gained 16lbs back... it is a great tool to help me lose weight, but it is just that a tool... i know some people will say that we are cheating because we had surgery to help us lose weight, but there are some people who just can do it on their own, and i am sad to say that i am one of those people. i am proud to say that i had the life saving surgery...
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing, just like any other weight loss tool, the band still requires a certain level of commitment to living a healthier lifestyle. If you understand and accept going in that you're still going to have to make sacrifices, you're still going to have to watch what you eat, and you're still going to have to exercise, you'll do great. If, OTOH, you think "The band is all I need to lose weight", you're going to fail miserably. So much of success or failure with this procedure is mental.

If you ask 100 people about the band, you'll have 100 different stories about someone they know, or someone their mom knows, etc who's had it done and their experience. My advice? Find a bariatric center near you and call them. Most have some sort of orientation you can attend, where they'll tell you the risks, the benefits, success rate, etc. And trust me, they won't sugarcoat it. They'll tell you straight up that this is still a huge lifestyle change.

For me, personally, I had gotten to a point where nothing else was working. I tried WW and I was starving. I tried South Beach and I nearly passed out at work. The band jump started my weight loss so to speak and gave me the confidence I needed to keep moving forward, as well as making it easier for me to stick to smaller portion sizes.

Feel free to message/friend me if you have any other questions :)
  • sparks29
    sparks29 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi there

I had the lap band 6 weeks ago and I know that I am fresh out of surgery but I would say it was best decision I have mad for myself. This is not a surgery that you have and just lose the weight, if you are looking for that you may want to consider VSG.

So far in my journey I have lost 65 pounds, it has been hard work. I like to think that I have taken control of my life and this tool is going to be there to remind me that I need to be careful. THIS IS A TOOL and if you are willing to put the work in it will be something to assist you in your life.

I think with my lap band and my fitnesspal, I have two wonderful tools that will help me stay on track. I have also hired a trainer to help me get my butt in gear.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!