When did Support turn into bash a person????

Options

Replies

• jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I don't know the details of your friend's experience, but I find that on the forums, people tend to read "bashing" into things that are only offering advice without sugar-coating. For example, on threads where people are upset at going on a huge binge, any response that isn't, "It's totally fine! Everyone does it!" is seen as criticism or bashing. It seems like taking the realistic viewpoint of "it's NOT fine and here's how to prevent it in the future" is taken as a personal attack for some reason.

Support doesn't mean stroking someone's ego or telling little white lies to make them feel better; sometimes the best support is a firm (but kind) wake-up call.
    I agree with this. The key word to me is "kind" - you can be realistic with someone without being mean and rude. When you are doing something detrimental to your goals, sometimes you need someone to stop holding your hand and say "wait a minute, you're upset because you overate/gained but what are you doing to change it? you can't expect to do the same thing over and over but get different results". That's not being cruel or unsupportive, its another method of support. Plus one has to keep in mind its just an opinion - and opinions are meant to be an individual's thoughts on a subject. Doesn't make it right, doesn't make it wrong - its just an opinion. YOU are the one who gives it weight and importance.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I'm supportive from my perspective of what is healthy. If someone is consistently eating below 800 calories or less than 20g of fat, I'll mention that they might want to try to eat more. Some might view my comments as negative. But support is supporting their health, not any willy nilly thing they choose to do.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You are so right! Gosh we have it hard enough just beating up ourselves after a binge or setback but when your pals in here do it, that is not good!
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    My menu is open, and I don't judge others....sometimes we all have off days, doesn't mean I'll bash them for it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Support doesn't mean bashing. It also doesn't mean fawning over, coddling, or otherwise sugar coating and protecting the other person.
  • EbonySD
    EbonySD Posts: 142
    Options
    For me support sometimes is hearing the cold hard truth, Not some fluffy o you will get it tomorrow stuff.

agree :)

If I fall off, its usually on for a day or so. If I'm constantly falling off, I don't need anyone telling me I'm doing a good job when I'm not. :glasses:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Besides, if one person is consistently giving negative feedback about the way someone is eating, to me, that says the person that's eating needs to fix something. I'd be more concerned about that than I would be about the way the person giving the feedback is wording themselves.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    As sad as it is, there are people out there that put other people down because they perceive it as raising themselves up. There is a way to give constructive criticism without bashing someone. Then on the other hand some people, especially on a site like MFP, that have low self esteem already and it does not take much to push them over the edge. Like most old sayings, "The truth hurts" is accurate.
    But I still feel there is a way to be honest with people without bashing them while you are doing it.
  • Jivebunnie
    Jivebunnie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My diary is locked - no-one needs to know what I eat - I'm the only one that is qualified to judge me!

Your friend could unlock her diary if she wants and just share it with her friends & delete the person who has been unkind. Insulting someone or deriding them for what they have eaten is only going to cause more harm and possible comfort eating.

How can you comment on someone's eating habits if you don't know their height/weight/BMI?

Your friend can add me if she wants more support.

:smile:
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I agree, It seems like there's a lot of grumpy grumps on MFP lately looking to stir up trouble...
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power and sometimes falls into the wrong hands?
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    As sad as it is, there are people out there that put other people down because they perceive it as raising themselves up.

This.
  • MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It annoys me when they act like I got to eat exactly like THEM and the ones that act like you can't feel good about yourself till you reach your goals. I don't need those types in my life AT ALL. :noway:
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Most people are supportive on here. There are a few rotten apples. On the other hand, if a friend of mine has lost 80 pounds and mentions something about my diary, I don't flip out. They earned the right to say certain things and they want me to succeed. Those are the teachable moments in the process. Your friend must try and separate the mean people from those who did the work and want to help her.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Both support and constructive criticism are important. What some people forget is that in an online forum is that tone of voice (a very powerful communication tool) does not come across in the written word, nor does sarcasm. Generally, written words are taken extremely literally even though the intent may or may not have been so literal. Some people also don't know that there is a very significant difference between constructive and destructive criticism, both on the giving and receiving end. Not knowing you, your friend or the situation you're referring to I can't comment beyond this: In general I've found people on this website to very supportive both to their personal friends and out right strangers. There are always gong to be people who feel entitled to point out and pick on flaws in other people. When I come across people like that, I call them on it and if they show they can't change then I cut them out of my life and remind myself that if they are that bad on the outside how bad are they to themselves on the inside.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    It didn't. Sometimes helping someone is telling them the truth. Truth hurts, but it also helps.

Correcting someone on doing something harmful is not bashing them. It's trying to help them.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    No matter how suggestions are phrased, there could still be a nugget of information worth having that will help in the battle.

Help me back on the wagon with a gentle nudge or kick me back on with a size 12 boot either way I will take all the help I can get :smile:
  • Taras32
    Taras32 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Friends tell friends the truth!! The only exception is that we all for the most part are new friends and haven't really learned each others emotional threshold. Know that no one on this site is perfect and we all have bad days but we joined this site for support and the majority of our comments come from a good place.
  • angelpie36426
    angelpie36426 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I wonder how perfect the "basher's" diary is. Is theirs open for people to see? There is a difference between helpful advice and negative comments. Just unfriend them. They are probably putting you down to make themselves feel better about what they are eating. Don't waste any more energy on this person.
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sorry I should have made it clearer. This is not one of her friends giving constructive advice. This is a troll who is haunting and even if you will stalking her. She has deleted his posts, blocked him and now she has locked her diary. She should not have to deal with all this harassment. For most of you I understand what your saying about the cold hard truth. I call that constructive advice. This guy is just being vicious. :flowerforyou: