What size weights are the best for a woman to tone arms?

1234568»

Replies

• I am using bands that way I have the option to shorten or lengthen as needed. I shut the top part into a door to do chin ups
    The drawback of bands is that they are only a "progressive resistance" unit. What I mean by that is that when the bands are stretched the resistance increases, and as the bands contract they lose resistance. This only then applies force on the "concentric" contraction and none on the "eccentric" contraction. Eccentric contraction is necessary when trying to improve strength.
    Can't you mitigate that by making sure you have resistance at your starting point (they aren't fully relaxed) and resist (control) the pull of the band during the eccentric part? Only a novice here, but it seems it would be similar if you use weights and let the weight pull you back to the starting point rather than keeping control of it all the way.

What the "eccentric" means is, say you're doing a bicep curl the "concetric" is the force it takes to pull the load up and the "eccentric" is the force it takes to lower it back down again, with the band the lowering part is not as beneficial because the resistance is gone. That's all that was meant. It's still not the same because with weights the weight stays consistant and with a band the resistance isn't consistant. It's not a "bad" workout it's just a means to workout but should not be the only tool you use :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,894 Member
    Can't you mitigate that by making sure you have resistance at your starting point (they aren't fully relaxed) and resist (control) the pull of the band during the eccentric part? Only a novice here, but it seems it would be similar if you use weights and let the weight pull you back to the starting point rather than keeping control of it all the way.
    While it sounds logically, but the bands resistance lessens as it shortens and that lessens the resistance against the muscle. You could go slower, but then the exercise becomes more isotonic then isokenetic. Doesn't mean bands are bad (I use them all the time with clients who are new), but they shouldn't just be relied on for an overall strength program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Thank you adoptakalyn and ninerbuff. I was hoping someone would respond to that.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    I am just getting into the cardio and strength training routine and currently I am using 5 pound weights in high reps... I am not seeing much in the way of results in my arms ( especially the waddle underneath my arms...) Is this a good size to continue with and it just takes time, or should I bump up the weights?

What kind of workouts are you doing? Are you working out to a workout dvd/vhs, the gym or on your own? I don't believe in lifting heavy, because I know that a person doesn't have to lift heavy to get results, so I would never suggest that to anyone.

What are you basing your "knowledge" on?
    Her body and her own workouts........................................

IDEA Fitness member

And her own definition of 'results'

THANK YOU! I posted under success stories today about NSV are way more important than scale victories...I upped the weights ( at least for me... 20 pound free weights) and already seeing a HUGE difference!
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    I am just getting into the cardio and strength training routine and currently I am using 5 pound weights in high reps... I am not seeing much in the way of results in my arms ( especially the waddle underneath my arms...) Is this a good size to continue with and it just takes time, or should I bump up the weights?

What kind of workouts are you doing? Are you working out to a workout dvd/vhs, the gym or on your own? I don't believe in lifting heavy, because I know that a person doesn't have to lift heavy to get results, so I would never suggest that to anyone.

What are you basing your "knowledge" on?
    Her body and her own workouts........................................

IDEA Fitness member

And her own definition of 'results'

THANK YOU! I posted under success stories today about NSV are way more important than scale victories...I upped the weights ( at least for me... 20 pound free weights) and already seeing a HUGE difference!

And I was saying THANK YOU to those that said she is listening to HER body... finally getting that!