Carbs/Sugar don't make you fat.

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Everyone’s body tolerates different foods differently. I can NOT eat the pastas, breads, and starchy things like potatoes. Just because it makes me gain weight and bloat and so on, I will not say that everyone needs to not eat them. Everyone is different and needs to find out what works for them. Don’t be ignorant!!!

i just have to comment, as this is so painful to read. guess what, the population as we know it, is like a bell curve, we are all on it, and i KNOW, everyone wants to believe that they are some sort of unique individual who processes food and energy so much more differently then the rest of us. guess what, we are all more ALIKE, than different..... :embarassed:

??? Um okay. Then weight loss should be a snap, there should be a one size fits all plan and BAM done deal. Get real.

We are not all snowflakes. We are not all completely different from one another.

When you see your doctor, does he have to perform an X-Ray everytime? After all, how does he know you have a skeleton and muscular structure? Some people may be made entirely of jam, since we're all so different.

Most of us are exactly the same. Minor differences, nothing more. We gain weight through a surplus of calories. There is one plan that fits all. It's called watching your calories and exercising. But most people don't like that plan. They'd rather blame it on bread.
  • downieel
    downieel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What about women who suffer from PCOS?
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    In before potential s**t storm

You said it....lol

popcornm.gif
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Eating too much.....(more than your maintenance) regardless of macronutrient composition makes you fat. Just had to throw this out there.

no but it won't make you healthy either. I want to be HEALTHY too.....don't you?

Yes.....but healthy is enjoying treats in moderation. Healthy is not cutting out carbs or cutting out all sugar from your diet which is what I see all over the place because people say the carbs will make them fat. Fruit, bread, hell even cookies won't make you fat unless you eat too much of them is all I am really saying. It is not "healthy" to cut all carbs or sugars from your diet.
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options

There is no clear science on all causes of insulin resistance, but you do not have to be obese by any standard to develop it. Medications, infection, illness, and stress are among things that may cause it. And there is thought to be a strong genetic factor.

geneticly here. so well said thank you. but these want to be Gurus don't want to here anything other then they are right.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

You said it....lol

popcornm.gif

Don't you know popcorn will make you fat!?
  • CynGoddess
    Options

agreed
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    PCOS changes the calories out side of the equation. That's what all metabolic disorders do. A healthy person may burn 2000 calories a day, but a person with a metabolic disorder may only burn 1400 calories a day. But there is no way to know that, without actual metabolic testing.

That's why one person can eat 1500 calories a day and lose weight no problem, and another person can eat 1500 calories a day and gain. It doesn't mean calories in/calories out doesn't work, it just means calories out is being changed due to a disease.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

You said it....lol

popcornm.gif

Don't you know popcorn will make you fat!?

Now you tell me!!!!! :laugh:
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    While I agree, technically the TEF of protein is such that eating a higher percentage of calories from protein should burn more calories than if you had ate the same total calories but less from protein.

For the sake of funny, someone should open my diary from yesterday. I damn near avoided actual nutrition. Did a great job of it too :)
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    WHY is the the concept of "Everything in Moderation" so damn difficult???? Stay within your macros and calories. I've been guilty of ignoring macros from time to time, but accountable enough to admit it rather than rationalizing. Also what works for one person may not work for another. But if it's not working, adjust.
  • CynGoddess
    Options

A. Your "evidence" is anecdotal. You're only talking about your own experiences. Not any data or studies that relate to anyone. You've proven nothing.

B. What doctor? What convention? Before you claim to have successfully refuted the notion that eating too much makes a person gain weight you may want to provide at least SOME information.

But if you all just want to go on insisting that it's all the fault of bread you can carry on. Tonight's pasta night for me, which I'll enjoy with a smile, as I have at least twice a week while staying under my calories and losing 85lbs.

it is people like you that make the world suck! yes we are differnet and as for my proof , dr and conference, I have all that info but why should I bother sharing it with someone as perfect as you. enjoy your world.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Isn't it fine to enjoy all foods in moderation? I'm pretty sure it isn't good to get all of your nutrition from twinkies nor is it good to get all of your nutrition from boneless, skinless chicken breast. Food is delicious and I won't hate myself for enjoying all aspects of it, in MODERATION.
    We are a society of people looking to pass blame away from our own personal responsibility. The chocolatey-peanut buttery fiber bar made me post this.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

A. Your "evidence" is anecdotal. You're only talking about your own experiences. Not any data or studies that relate to anyone. You've proven nothing.

B. What doctor? What convention? Before you claim to have successfully refuted the notion that eating too much makes a person gain weight you may want to provide at least SOME information.

But if you all just want to go on insisting that it's all the fault of bread you can carry on. Tonight's pasta night for me, which I'll enjoy with a smile, as I have at least twice a week while staying under my calories and losing 85lbs.

it is people like you that make the world suck! yes we are differnet and as for my proof , dr and conference, I have all that info but why should I bother sharing it with someone as perfect as you. enjoy your world.

Mature and well structured argument. I'm sure many people will listen to your sound advice.
  • outdoorslife
    outdoorslife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Eating too much.....(more than your maintenance) regardless of macronutrient composition makes you fat. Just had to throw this out there.

It would be interesting to see if you could eat more than your maintenance of things like salad for instance. I certainly can eat too much junk food (snicker/mars bars etc) but I can't see being able to eat over 1500 calories of salad in a day.

However - yes , if you take in more calories than you burn, you will store said calories. If the food is good, its likely the storage will take more effort (i.e. converting cheap carbs and sugars to fat, vs vegetables/fibers) and take longer.

Nice little firestorm statement tho'.. :smile:
  • CynGoddess
    Options

PCOS changes the calories out side of the equation. That's what all metabolic disorders do. A healthy person may burn 2000 calories a day, but a person with a metabolic disorder may only burn 1400 calories a day. But there is no way to know that, without actual metabolic testing.

That's why one person can eat 1500 calories a day and lose weight no problem, and another person can eat 1500 calories a day and gain. It doesn't mean calories in/calories out doesn't work, it just means calories out is being changed due to a disease.
    I am insulin resistant with PCOS as for calories in and out I ate low fat high carb 1200cal a day and gained 20 lbs, ate 1800cal high protiend low carb and lost 20lbs.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    While I agree, technically the TEF of protein is such that eating a higher percentage of calories from protein should burn more calories than if you had ate the same total calories but less from protein.

For the sake of funny, someone should open my diary from yesterday. I damn near avoided actual nutrition. Did a great job of it too :)
    TEF is really negligible in the scheme of things. TEF averages about 10% of TDEE, so, assuming a TDEE of 2000 calories, TEF would be about 200 calories. Now, say you've increased protein and decreased carbs, as well as increased fat slightly (it is impossible to increase protein without slightly increasing fat, there are no low carb protein sources that contain zero fat.) Let's say that gives a 15% boost to TEF. That means you're talking about a difference of about 15 calories for the entire day. Now, if your calories are perfect (no rounding or measurement, estimation errors) and you burn the exact amount of calories your TDEE says you will (impossible, as TDEE is an average figure, not exact) then that would translate to a 1.5 pound weight loss in a one year period.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Hey....looks like you ate a good breakfast.

• Jacwhite22
    Options

I am insulin resistant with PCOS as for calories in and out I ate low fat high carb 1200cal a day and gained 20 lbs, ate 1800cal high protiend low carb and lost 20lbs so there goes your theory.

Did you ever eat 1800/day low fat high carb? What other factors changed? With any experiment you should have control and only have one variable change....Otherwise how do you know what caused the result?