Carbs/Sugar don't make you fat.

Options

Replies

• CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Mature and well structured argument. I'm sure many people will listen to your sound advice.

yes because yours was so much nicer? Maybe you should just admit you don't have all the answers and don't know everything and what works for some doesn't work for all. who is more mature the one who thinks they know it all or the one who knows what works for them and wishes everyone else the best with their choices.
  • CynGoddess
    Options

Did you ever eat 1800/day low fat high carb? What other factors changed? With any experiment you should have control and only have one variable change....Otherwise how do you know what caused the result?

yes, I did. I was in a study and it was done correctly
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Eating too much.....(more than your maintenance) regardless of macronutrient composition makes you fat. Just had to throw this out there.

Seriously? Sugar... one of the main contributers to belly fat,you will rarely find someone with beautiful ABS consuming high quantities of sugar daily,added/fruits/ect. As for carbs,good carbs are needed but bad carbs will cause unwanted effects on the body in most cases.

There are lots of people on here that eat sugar/fruit/ice cream and have great abs.

I suppose it's possible but improbable and you wouldn't be healthy, as per Cordain or Wolf and their Paleo books, humans are not fully adapted to dairy, so eating ice cream is not a very good idea
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Mature and well structured argument. I'm sure many people will listen to your sound advice.

yes because yours was so much nicer? Maybe you should just admit you don't have all the answers and don't know everything and what works for some doesn't work for all. who is more mature the one who thinks they know it all or the one who knows what works for them and wishes everyone else the best with their choices.

See what did I tell you guys

I-reject-your-reality-and-substitute-my-own-main-logo.gif
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Everyone’s body tolerates different foods differently. I can NOT eat the pastas, breads, and starchy things like potatoes. Just because it makes me gain weight and bloat and so on, I will not say that everyone needs to not eat them. Everyone is different and needs to find out what works for them. Don’t be ignorant!!!

i just have to comment, as this is so painful to read. guess what, the population as we know it, is like a bell curve, we are all on it, and i KNOW, everyone wants to believe that they are some sort of unique individual who processes food and energy so much more differently then the rest of us. guess what, we are all more ALIKE, than different..... :embarassed:

??? Um okay. Then weight loss should be a snap, there should be a one size fits all plan and BAM done deal. Get real.

We are not all snowflakes. We are not all completely different from one another.

When you see your doctor, does he have to perform an X-Ray everytime? After all, how does he know you have a skeleton and muscular structure? Some people may be made entirely of jam, since we're all so different.

Most of us are exactly the same. Minor differences, nothing more. We gain weight through a surplus of calories. There is one plan that fits all. It's called watching your calories and exercising. But most people don't like that plan. They'd rather blame it on bread.

You beat me to the snowflake comment.

lol <3
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eating too much.....(more than your maintenance) regardless of macronutrient composition makes you fat. Just had to throw this out there.

Seriously? Sugar... one of the main contributers to belly fat,you will rarely find someone with beautiful ABS consuming high quantities of sugar daily,added/fruits/ect. As for carbs,good carbs are needed but bad carbs will cause unwanted effects on the body in most cases.

There are lots of people on here that eat sugar/fruit/ice cream and have great abs.

I suppose it's possible but improbable and you wouldn't be healthy, as per Cordain or Wolf and their Paleo books, humans are not fully adapted to dairy, so eating ice cream is not a very good idea
    Next you're going to start quoting Taubes...
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I see I'm not the only one that never gets tired of the carb arguments. They are more fun even than water vs liquid or muscle weighing more then fat.

The BEST arguement is eating exercise calories or not... hahaha, just thought I would start an argument within an argument... and yes, I agree with you.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

I never personally attacked you or said anything untoward to you. I pointed out the gaping holes in your logic. You may not have liked that, but there's nothing I can do about that. My responsibility is to the truth, not your feelings. Next time post better information. Or at the very least something that passes for information. So far all of your posts can be summed up as "Nuh uh! What do you know? Shutup!"

The people who complain about everyone else being rude are usually the rudest of them all.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and google "Insulin Resistance"! Carbs and sugar ABSOLUTELY DO make some people fat! Just had to throw THAT out there:)
    This would make sense, except high protein and high fat diets also contribute to insulin resistance.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/145544.php

Insulin resistance is a symptom of obesity, and there are hundreds, if not thousands of causes for it, it's not just sugar and carbs.

Oh, and that link came from a Google search for Insulin Resistance. So, if you're going to tell other people to google it, you may want to take your own advice.

Then how do you get insulin resistance with the absence of obesity?
    You don't. You don't have to be overweight according to BMI to have obese levels of body fat. Insulin resistance happens when there is excess fat in the blood stream that prevents insulin receptors from receiving insulin. It can also be tracked, measured, and predicted by the amounts of free fatty acids and branched-chain amino acids in the blood stream.

Hmmmm that's strange, when I was 118 lbs just 5 years ago and VERY underweight being that I am 5'9, I was still insulin resistant.
  • heleflump
    heleflump Posts: 57
    Options
    Hell!!! And I always thought it was because I had big bones.......:sad: .......back to the drawing board for me then!!!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options

I never personally attacked you or said anything untoward to you. I pointed out the gaping holes in your logic. You may not have liked that, but there's nothing I can do about that. My responsibility is to the truth, not your feelings. Next time post better information. Or at the very least something that passes for information. So far all of your posts can be summed up as "Nuh uh! What do you know? Shutup!"

The people who complain about everyone else being rude are usually the rudest of them all.

:heart:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

PCOS changes the calories out side of the equation. That's what all metabolic disorders do. A healthy person may burn 2000 calories a day, but a person with a metabolic disorder may only burn 1400 calories a day. But there is no way to know that, without actual metabolic testing.

That's why one person can eat 1500 calories a day and lose weight no problem, and another person can eat 1500 calories a day and gain. It doesn't mean calories in/calories out doesn't work, it just means calories out is being changed due to a disease.
    I am insulin resistant with PCOS as for calories in and out I ate low fat high carb 1200cal a day and gained 20 lbs, ate 1800cal high protiend low carb and lost 20lbs so there goes your theory.

You haven't really debunked any theory. The thing people tend to forget is that it's not just how many calories you eat. It's how many are actually absorbed by your body. It's possible that your disease has affected what is absorbed and you simply absorb more calories from carbohydrates than from other sources. "Calories in" doesn't always mean in your mouth.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

PCOS changes the calories out side of the equation. That's what all metabolic disorders do. A healthy person may burn 2000 calories a day, but a person with a metabolic disorder may only burn 1400 calories a day. But there is no way to know that, without actual metabolic testing.

That's why one person can eat 1500 calories a day and lose weight no problem, and another person can eat 1500 calories a day and gain. It doesn't mean calories in/calories out doesn't work, it just means calories out is being changed due to a disease.
    I am insulin resistant with PCOS as for calories in and out I ate low fat high carb 1200cal a day and gained 20 lbs, ate 1800cal high protiend low carb and lost 20lbs so there goes your theory.

Sorry but I disagree with this. 1200 cal a day and gained 20lbs? ROFL.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Next you're going to start quoting Taubes...

I feel like he has some grand plan using this "agree with them" strategy... just waiting for the bomb to drop.
  • CynGoddess
    Options
    and how many of you have degrees in health, medicine or nutrition? by putting out a blanket statement and saying it fits all, yes you are personally attacking someone it does not apply to. yes I do get angry that for those struggling that your blanket statement doesn't apply to, they may give up thinking what you have said is the only way. it is not and there is research out there to prove it, everyone that has brought up that research with name or book you have made fun of or attacked that as not being true either. what I disagree with is putting out a blanket statement without your own degree and published research to back up , so I am no more guilty of just giving my opinions then any of the rest of you.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    bump
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

No you're right, it's a terrible idea. Which is why I gained back all of my 28 lbs lost in the space of 2 days. Damn greek yogurt!
  • CynGoddess
    Options

Sorry but you're lying. 1200 cal a day and gained 20lbs? ROFL. Mmmm...yea. You'd be the first in all of mankind. ;-)

Not lying, and now I am being personally attacked. but then I forget everything in the world you all live in is only true if you believe it.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    and how many of you have degrees in health, medicine or nutrition? by putting out a blanket statement and saying it fits all, yes you are personally attacking someone it does not apply to. yes I do get angry that for those struggling that your blanket statement doesn't apply to, they may give up thinking what you have said is the only way. it is not and there is research out there to prove it, everyone that has brought up that research with name or book you have made fun of or attacked that as not being true either. what I disagree with is putting out a blanket statement without your own degree and published research to back up , so I am no more guilty of just giving my opinions then any of the rest of you.

I do. There is nothing logical about your argument. You are not a special snowflake.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Sorry but you're lying. 1200 cal a day and gained 20lbs? ROFL. Mmmm...yea. You'd be the first in all of mankind. ;-)

Not lying, and now I am being personally attacked. but then I forget everything in the world you all live in is only true if you believe it.

Your body doesn't defy the laws of thermodynamics... unless you have some superpowers that the rest of us don't have.