todays the day i quit smoking!

Options

Replies

• honeybee71
    Options
    Good Luck!!! I've been smoke free for 5 months now! If you need some support, just let me know!
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Here's something I read from the book "Skiny Bi**H". IT's a pretty funny and straight to the point book, but I thought you might enjoy a bit of humor this morning

"Ok, Use your head, you need to get healthy if you want to be skiny. Healthy=skiny. Unhealthy = Fat.
    The first thing you need to do is give up your gross vices. Don't act surprized! you can not keep eating the same *kitten* and expect to get skiny. Or smoke. So don't even try some pathetic excuse like "But if I quit somking, I'll gain weight." No one wants to hear it. Cigarettes are for losers. They are so 1989 and totally uncool. Not only do they screw up your whole body chemisrty, but they also kill your taste buds, It no wonder you eat *kitten* and garbage. Smoking's out. Give it up."

I told you it was straight forward, hope you found the humor in it too. That is the first paragraph of the whole book too! :laugh: I gave up smoking years ago, I was very lucky and had an easy time with it. My tricks were to chew gum during the times I would smoke. I know it sounds simple, but hey it worked for me and it's been 12 years smoke free for me!

Best of luck to you, you can TOTALLY do it!:drinker:
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    good luck~ overcoming any addiction is really hard, but take it one smoke at a time. and don't beat yourself up about slipping up every now and then. just forgive yourself and keep going. it's defitely a change for the better!:smile:
  • sebmsu
    sebmsu Posts: 26
    Options
    Good luck! I've been smoke free since Feb and I don't even miss it because I can smell things again!
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    :flowerforyou: good luck!! I stopped smoking July 23rd 2007 and I feel so much better!
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    ok so im craving a cigarrette can anyone help me and tell me what to do to keep my mind off it without eating?
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: We're here for you :heart: :happy:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    ok so im craving a cigarrette can anyone help me and tell me what to do to keep my mind off it without eating?

I'm not a smoker so I don't know but I'll bump this and maybe someone else can help you. Good luck. Don't give in to the temptation.
  • enkcott
    enkcott Posts: 29
    Options
    Some of the advice I was given when I was craving a cigarette was to do something like crunches until the craving passed.:devil: Kill two birds with one stone so to speak.:huh: Clean something was my favorite!:bigsmile: I can't tell you how clean my fridge was during that time! Keep it up it will get better!:flowerforyou:
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Definitely clean something or exercise. Both of these will help you thru the craving. :wink:
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I wish you all the luck in the world, as I know as an ex-smoker of 20 years (now 16 yrs smoke free), just how hard it is. One of the key things to remember is, you can lose your physical addiction in 3 days, but the mental addiction last for years.

Just like the new habits we have to develop with our new eating habits, you will have to develop new habits to replace your smoking, and don't use food as the substitute. LOL
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    You'll never regret it. :smile:

Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Annabel_Lee13
    Options
    Good luck. It is not easy but I know you can do it. I have been smoke free since 10/07 and I feel great. Plus everything smells better (clothes, house, car):smile:
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Good Luck, I smoked for 2 years and quit in January this year I feel alot better. Stay strong:flowerforyou:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    If I can do it, so can you, today is 5 weeks smoke free for me and I am loving it!! And best part of all (for me) is I have not gained any weight back!! (might be a different story after next weeks weigh in, kinda had a sloppy week) But congrats on this decision, I won't lie to you it's not easy, but it will get easier. If you need any further support or would like to hear some tips that I used just message me!!!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    so proud of you...and all of you who have quit too!!!!

one of the best things you can do for yourself and your loved ones!!!

big hugs from a former as in I quit when I was 21 because of bronchitis constantly and my mom scaring me of emphazema....18 year later I thank God & her everyday for it! You'll get there....just one day at a time!!!

hugs and high fives!
    Ali
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Just checking to see how the not smoking is going.:smile: Hope it is working for you. Very hard thing to do.:grumble: I'm still doing the nasty habit so I am soooo behind you all the way. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I always had to find something to do with my hands to replace the gesture of smoking. For example, I knit or crochet, so when I was really temped, I did that. You can also read, write, do a puzzle....anything of that nature that will keep you occupied. Another thing that I used for like the first two weeks were herbal cigs. They do not have nicotine and replace at least the gesture in the beginning. I only smoked like one pack in two weeks because they were so gross and then just didn't use them at all after that and seemed to be okay. The brand name was 'honeyrose'.

Keep with it....it is so worth it in the long run. If you can make it to around three weeks, the cravings will start to be less frequent! :smile:
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Don't give in!

I'm about 3 1/2 weeks into quitting and it really is getting easier. Today though, I stopped at a gas station at lunch for a soda (Coke Zero! mmm) and there was a guy standing out front smoking my old brand. :explode:

Then while I was standing at the checkout line I noticed two things that brought me back to reality: 1 - the cigarette prices, and 2 - he smelled when he came inside... and I COULD ACTUALLY SMELL HOW NASTY IT WAS!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I wanted to bump this to make sure you keep getting support. Hope you're still hanging in there. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou: