Bummed by 1000 calorie count

Options
124»

Replies

• kkm2605
    kkm2605 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My opinion..... 1000 calories is too few to take in for anyone! I have my food diary open for people to view. I am on 1200 calories a day. Sometimes I do go over.... but it's very do-able.

Good luck!
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    1000 calories a day is of course too low. But I also disagree with Lord007, who suggested eating below your BMR. Both bad advice.

You should be eating *at least* your BMR.

On the other hand, coffee every hour is not a good idea either. Time to break that addiction.

^^ This. I think that Lord007 is confusing BMR with TDEE
  • meligarcia18
    Options
    your doctor should head back to health 101.. your body should never consume less than 1200 calories a day - that's the healthy threshold. you also have to taper down from what your body is used to.. not make super drastic changes.. for example: if your body is accustomed to eating 2200 calories a day right now, it is gonna be extremely difficult and downright almost impossible to just drop 1000 calories a day ; go slow.. try starting by dropping 400-500 calories a day for a little bit and move from there.. look into eating 3-5 servings of fruits and veggies a day; so good for you, high in fiber; they make you feel full so you don't always have such an appetite. Also, start drinking 2-3 quarts of water every day. With these 2 changes, you'll be on your way to working towards a more positive nutrition plan. You can't just lose weight by cutting calories though, you have to work out, cardio is the most important. In the same vain as not shocking your body by running 2 miles when you've never even run one, start by using the bike at the gym or just walking for at least 20 minutes after meals or just at least 40 minutes of physical activity a day (even if it's just a brisk walk), to start waking your metabolism up and to start working towards being able to do more. Remember, you're not gonna see immediate results; so don't get discouraged... if you're serious about doing it, stick with it, and do it the right way! There are countless articles online you can find that will give you all sorts of different ideas... choose one that seems feasible and STICK WITH IT! Also, coffee isn't bad for you. The key is how much you consume and what's in it. Go with zero calorie sweeteners over sugar and skim milk over whole or cream. Also, no more than 2 cups a day... Hope this helps!
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    DiamondInTheDirt Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Does your doctor have a medical license? lol check out how many calories you need via a BMR calculator. This will gives you a calorie amount that you need to eat, if you was not doing ANYTHING for a whole day. So add on top of that your activity level - there are calculators for this too. And then add any calories burnt to this...thats going to basically give you the calorie amount you can eat to maintain your weight. Subract 500 cals from this, in order to loose 1lb per week. Youre going to see that you need much more calories than 1000...as 1200 is pretty much a ball park figure, that no one should go below. However this figure may not ever be appropriate for you... SO Im pretty sure Even an 80 year old can eat more than 1000 cals per day ...lol so unless youre 100yrs old...you need much more calories.
  • khara2012
    khara2012 Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    How tall are you by the way?

I am 4'10.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    1000 sounds really low. most of my female friends at MFP have upped their calories to 1500 because they were stalled on the scale at 1200. Sounds odd, but by upping their calories, the weight started coming off. Good luck