Lean Cuisine and mocrowave meals? are these bad for you?

Options
I've been eating lean cuisine dinners. They're really tastey and a good way to keep my dinner low cal. But i want to make sure these aren't bad for me. Any input?

Replies

• Yoshi_G
    Yoshi_G Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey, I've had lean cuisine meals before and they're not bad at all for you, but I do not recommend them as an every meal either nor an everyday thing. The fresher the produce, the better and healthier your meals are. The only problems I have with the lean cuisine meals is that they're sort of high in sodium depending on which you consume. Besides that, enjoy them, but opt out every once in a while for a freshly made plate of food. Frozen dinners are a last resort.
  • charmingtrouble
    charmingtrouble Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    my rule of thumb is, if the ingredients list has more than 5 things that are either hard to pronounce or look like they belong in a lab somewhere, don't eat it :)

so far my favorite frozen dinner is from the Fresh and Easy store, fair amount of calories, simple ingredients, and about $2-3 a box
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    I eat them occasionally. They have been processed and have very high sodium, so they're not really "healthy." Still if you have the option of a lean cuisuine pizza or a domino's pizza...you see the standard. I'd give them about a "C" on a grading scale. :P
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i ate lean cuisines and smart ones often during the weight loss part of my diet. still do, occasionally.
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without their chicken club panini
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I've been eating lean cuisine dinners. They're really tastey and a good way to keep my dinner low cal. But i want to make sure these aren't bad for me. Any input?
    I follow this rule. Step 1:Turn container around Step 2: Check list of ingredients. For example if you eat meat and rice ingredients should be ...meat and rice. Anything else is chemicals that your body can do without. Of course not all foods you eat have to be like this.
  • rescueisnotamyth
    rescueisnotamyth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As previously stated, those microwave meals are full of sodium. Just full. So they really aren't very healthy for you on a daily basis.
    And plus, they are tiny! My go-to meals are super easy to prepare ahead and are in the same calorie range as those meals.

My basic recipe is:
    1/2 cup cooked brown rice
    +
    Colored peppers and onions browned in a skillet with cooking spray OR 3 oz baby carrots and 1/3 cup corn with onions cooked like the peppers and onions with half a chicken bouillon cube (my idea was to have "chicken pot pie" but with rice) OR (this one is new) 1/2 cup of my pasta sauce (crushed tomatoes with onions and spices - 53 calories vs. 90 for store bought.)
    +
    2 oz shredded chicken breast OR 2 oz shredded beef sirloin OR half a turkey burger
    =
    245-280 calories
    +
    Salad (usually about two cups) ~ 40 calories depending on the greens
    +
    Lite Italian dressing ~ 35 calories
    =
    290-375 calories for lunch. And I am full. Seriously. I'm the type of person who can pack away an entire Subway footlong or 1/3 of a pizza plus chips and ice cream and not think I'm full.
    I've learned to take smaller bites, chew thoroughly, and drink plenty of water with each meal.

Eating this way leaves plenty of room for splurges at dinner or snack time.
    Good luck!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I eat them occasionally, but they're high sodium and often high sugar to make up for the low fat. It's not something you should eat every meal as if it's a do-it-yourself Nutrisystems meal plan. Given the limitations of what survives cooking and freezing, I suspect you would be consistently missing the same nutrients every meal, too.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    They are convenient and pretty tasty, but pretty high in sodium. Id use them only occasionally. Real food is better....and you probablyeat more of it too!
  • jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    Options
    I use them when I have a junk food craving. I really like the pizzas, paninis, pita & dips, and LOVE the Thai spring rolls. I don't eat them on a regular basis but they tame the cravings for sure.
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    They are easy to do. I would not eat more than one a day as they are processed meals and high in sodium.
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    They are a convenience item and are usually a better choice than fast food. However, the use of enriched ingredients coupled with high sodium content make them a poor choice for frequent dining. You should limit them to once or twice a week.
  • blondiEyyc
    blondiEyyc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When your young sodium isn't a huge issue? I would not eat them every meal, but once a day at most. I find them useful since I am a University student and typically do not have the time to prepare exquisite meals.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I particularily like the lean cuisine meals. Many many many of them are free of preservatives and all that added stuff and many have two servings of vegetables.

I work in a busy downtown area. If I can't cook or pack some sort of lunch I bring a lean cuisine to work because my other options are $8 for lunch and 1200 calories. I have every possible kind of junky, large-portioned, overpriced food imaginable within a 2-block radius.

Try the butternut squash ravioli - nom nom!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Oh, well, butternut squash ravioli get special consideration, lol ...
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I eat them. I always look for the lowest sodium and carb.
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I eat them for lunch occasionally. I wouldn't eat them every meal, but I think once in a while is just fine, personally. Some people don't always have the time to cook 3 full meals a day, or are not near a stove/oven during their work hours. Some things can be prepared ahead, sure, but there are some that just taste like crap if not freshly made!
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    These types of meals cater to being lazy...the reason we are over weight and on this website. Take the time for yourself and make your lunch everyday. I usually make a large dinner the night before and take the leftovers as my lunch the following day. While these meals are better for you than Burger King, they are far from "good" for you. They are high in sodium and other chemicals.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    They are bad for my taste buds.
  • kaseychay
    kaseychay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input!