40+ Club - Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options

Replies

• StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,806 Member
    Options
    Hey all! :flowerforyou:

alf, I'm sorry about having to speed up my recovery week too! :sad: I've enjoyed being on this rotation with you, but I've just learned about a couple of work-related events in October/November that are going to not only impact this rotation but my planned Insanity rotation (which I want to have completed by the first of the year). So I've decided to speed up this rotation a bit to get them both in and to work around the time I will be away from home during these upcoming months.

singfree, I'm sorry you have to work tonight, but enjoy your long weekend! :drinker:

Hoosiermomma, great to see you again! It sounds like you are so busy. You are doing amazing given everything that is going on in your life. I hope you have a good time in California, and please check in with us when you get a chance! :flowerforyou:

I did P90X Legs/Back and ARX this morning, followed by a light cardio session. I'm really feeling the tough cardio I did earlier this week, so I'm taking it a bit easier today. Since I don't do Kenpo, this ends my first phase (of my first round!) of P90X! :drinker:

My results, so far, have been interesting. I didn't know what to expect, but I'm happy with the way by body looks right now, both upper and lower body. I took body measurements this morning (pre-workout), and the most interesting thing is the while my hips have gotten smaller, my waist has gotten bigger. I'm talking 1/2 inch for both, so it isn't by much. But where I always (and I mean since my early teens) had at least a 10 inch difference between my hips/waist (and usually more like 12-14 inches!), I now have a six inch difference between the two. In other words, I'm no longer a pear and am pretty much straight up and down. :noway: Weird. I like the smaller hips, but I could do without the bigger waist. :tongue: But I imagine that is inevitable given how core-oriented (and not just through ARX) P90X is. But, overall, I'm happy with what is happening to my body, especially my arms. I beginning to get alot of comments about my 'muscles'! :laugh:

Enjoy your day everybody!
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! Thanks for the nice comments. Yes, we did get to the Melk Abby. Stunning! We did a day trip to Munich; went to BMW World- kids loved it! Went to the Olympic park, which is near BMW world. Also saw the Deutsche Museum- science and technology. It was awesome! Didn't have too much time, though. Had lunch at a beer garden in the Englischer Garden at the Chinese Pagoda. Surprisingly good food.

Wanted to mention a restaurant in Garmisch we went to twice- zum Wildschutz. It was the only place in town absolutely packed. They were so nice and accommodating to us on our first night- looking for food late after a long drive. The food was great! We could not find anything to match it the next night, so we went back!

mk- congrats on the progress in inches! Maybe you should give P90X a try!!:devil: Although it is not scale-friendly, it does wonders for the body!

Stiring- I'm amazed at the change in your shape! I, too, have always had a 10-inch difference in my hips and waist. With P90X, I lost 1-inch off my hips, none off my waist, but many inches off my legs!!!

alf- I could not imagine running in that heat!:noway: I've dropped down in my running- mainly got boring and I wasn't making the progress I hoped for. I should probably try to find a running group locally to help me!

Tron- alfredo sauce is evil!:mad: I make my own- much better than the restaurant stuff, but far from healthy.

Texass- try Netflix.:love: Tons of movies, keep them as long as you want. We love it!! Congrats on the too big suit!

Hoosier- sounds like a very full life! Just remember to take care of yourself!:flowerforyou:

Sing- I love my sleep!!! Although it feels great to exercise early, I can rarely make myself get out of bed when my alarm goes off:grumble: . Then before I know it, there's not enough time to exercise.

Day 3 of Insanity- this is the first exercise I've ever done where I need to warm up for the warm up!!!!:noway: I went for a walk with a neighbor before Insanity, and my legs felt much better. Unbelievable how much it makes you sweat. Max HR was 175. But I feel good, and I'm eating good things. I'll keep you posted! After reading all of the posts from sing, stiring, alf, etc, I think maybe I can handle the “doubles” I was doing with P90X. While it's hard during the routine, and I'm a little sore, I do have the enegy to do more. Sing has inspired me to go for a bike ride tomorrow!

Have a great night!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I'm still at work, but I will be leaving in another hour...let the party begin!!! I'm off until Tuesday!!! :drinker:

April, you certainly did a LOT in Munich!! I'd love to go to BMW-Welt. I'd also love to have a BMW, too!! Wasn't the Deutsches Museum HUGE??? Wow, what a place! I could spend days there. And Englischer Garten is an oasis in the middle of Munich (the Bier isn't bad either). How about the monk's library at Melk...eyepopping to say the least. My wife's favorite wine was at Melk Abbey, where they make some of the finest Austrian Gruener Veltliner. Thanks for the tip on Zum Wildschutz (trans: At the "Wildshot", a refernce to hunting no doubt). I'm glad you found Garmisch to your liking! We will be staying there for 9 nights next year in an apartment.

Reporting day again! Here's a brief summary: exercise was good, Eating was not. I swear that sometimes I have ZERO self-control when it comes to good food choices. I consider myself a fairly intelligent person. Now I have to prove it!! Insanity is working well, but the high impact nature of it means that I cannot do it all the time. I will stick out these 60 days, but am looking forward to lifting weights again with P90X. I really think that a hybrid program combining the two would be great for me, especially during the winter months.

Have a great day and weekend!!!
  • mkwood10
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!!!
    Don't you love it when you feel much better when you're done with a workout?? I know I do, it's what I think about when I'm making my 30 minute drive home and debating with myself whether I'll stop at Curves on the way or not!! :laugh: :laugh: I've made it a rule to take my workout stuff with me when I leave for work, that way I have no excuse not to stop AND I can't get distracted by the 10 million other things that hit me when I walk thru the door at home. Wait........Ithat was a flashback to kids in middle and high school days.......... my biggest decision when I walk thru the door these days is usually whether I'll cook, we order delivery or eat out!! Having no more kids at home is so nice :happy: .

I just HAD to have a bacon cheeseburger last night; so we went to a new sportsbar in town - their burgers are the best I've had in YEARS!!! Yummy bacon cheddar burger.... I know , I know, I was naughty:blushing: ! But..................I immediately cut it in half and didn't put ketchup or anything on the half I took home. I also ordered fresh fruit instead of fries.......amazed myself! I DID have two of my hubby's steak fries, but that's much better than ordering fries and suddenly realizing you've eaten most of the huge order without realizing it!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Really should get back to work; have a great Labor Day weekend!!! Enjoy, don't indulge too much and be safe!!!!:heart::heart: :heart:
    Marla
  • annaliza
    Options
    Good morning everyone!!

I'm looking forward to the 3 day weekend! So excited. I'd like to leave work early today but I have a late afternoon meeting so it looks like I'll be here all day.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    singfree, enjoy your weekend! :drinker: I'm interested to hear more of your thoughts on a hybrid plan for Insanity. From what I've been reading, most everybody who has done the program loved the first month, but the second month is proving to be a bit much for some people (I've seen the word 'dread' alot regarding those workouts due to length and repetition). Do you think doing the first month and then a hybrid second would be effective?

mkwood, I love how I feel when I finish a workout. No matter how badly I feel going into it or during it, I feel better after. Glad you enjoyed a burger! Sounds like you did it the perfect way.

annaliza, good to see you. Are those your children in your photo? They are precious! Hope you enjoy your long weekend.

Quick check-in....weight is staying the same :drinker: , I'm eating the same, the workouts have been good....so all is the same this week as last (minus some measurement changes I described yesterday).

I'm headed down to San Diego for the day. :drinker: :drinker: I'm going to try to get in a workout before we go. I hope everybody enjoys their day AND their long weekend. :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Good morning!! Weight the same this morning. I am not measuring until I finish P90X recovery week, next Fri or Sat. This has been a good week in terms of eating and exercise as well. I will test myself today and tomorrow since spending time out and about with my daughter and grandbaby. They arrived last night and leave on Sat evening. She is walking now and looks so funny. :laugh: I took the day off and might not return to work until Tue or Wed. :drinker:

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • TexasMom
    Options
    Happy Friday Everyone!!!

Sing - WOW what a late night. I've pulled a few of those in my day and don't want to do it anymore!!! I took a look at the Insanity demo, OMG!!!! It looks intense and I don't know if my knees could take the jumping. :noway: Maybe after I've lost more weight. And now that you've kicked yourself for bad food choices.... have a great weekend and kick butt on food next week. You've always been such a great encourager to us, reminding us that when we slip we just need to get up and keep moving. Thank you for that!!!!

Alf, Stiring & Sing, you guys are a true inspiration for us that seem to slip in and out of MFP. Knowing I can come back to your commitment and results is my saving grace. I have know doubt I'll be there on the "met my goals" podium one day and be able to thank this awesome team for supporting me all the way.

MK - stick with what you can get in. I'm glad I've gotten to the point that I know longer feel guilty when I slip on food or can't get a workout in. I finally realized that as long as I'm still trying it will happen, and now that schools back in session I'm hitting the ground running full force.

Sept 1 was the first day of our new texting law in Texas. No texting while driving in a school zone. :noway: :noway: WHAT!!!!! Why not no texting while driving period. I just don't get the politicians sometimes. Somebody, somewhere bent their ears and put the focus on school zones. Well..... it's a start.

Chick-fil-a anyone? My daughter works there and she has the staff starting to make healthy food choices. I love it. Everything on their menu can be grilled and her favorite lunch she likes me to bring to school for her is grilled chicken nuggets, medium fruit cup and a diet lemonade. I never would have thought to ask for nuggets grilled and now that's the only way I'll get them. So FYI for all those that need to grab something quick.

Blessings from Texas. Have an awesome weekend everyone!!!
  • singfree
    Options
    Tex, yes even I need to be encouraged at times. I guess I will always be dealing with food choices, good and bad. Insanity is very tough on the joints and not a plan for everyone.

Alf, enjoy your grand-daughter this weekend. I know what a joy they are!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Hey all:

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday weekend. I'm probably up 1 lb this week. I tried not to look too closely at the scale this morning. I was short on workouts this week because I had pain in the back of my thigh/lower buttock region for no explained reason. I'm thinking it was a delayed reaction from the driving to and from Niagara Falls? Well its almost gone today, so I know my lunch bunch wants to walk at lunch, so I can see how it fares, and maybe get a solid workout tonight. We haven't walked together in a while due to the heat, and I'm hoping to impress them with my ability to walk faster that I've developed. I am so much shorter than the other girls, and I have short legs for my height, so I always have to work much harder to keep up.

Someone sent me info that the Texas State Fair was going to debut Deep Fried Butter? I am a butter freak, but this is insane. I only mention it here, becaue we have a couple of Texas folks!
  • annaliza
    Options
    Stiring - yep, those are my two littlest ones taken at the zoo a few weeks ago.

Thanks! I think they are precious too :smile:

Zebras - deep fried butter sounds gross to me! eww
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday all! :heart:

Annaliza, good to see you posting. Your little ones are sooooo cute! Wanted to tell you I actually went for a run on Wednesday. Yay! Felt pretty good. It was, of course, run, walk, run, walk, but I kept at it for 30 minutes and didn't feel too bad.

Have you heard of Chi Running? Supposed to help prevent the usual injuries. Haven't gotten the book yet, it was suggested to me by another friend. I'll probably try to run again tonight or Saturday. I'm really inspired by all the runners on this thread.

Weight is same. But I had a "sodium incident" this week and am blaming that for the lack of loss. Heh. Darn tacos.

Had two workouts with the trainer this past week, and several good cardio and weight sessions on my own. I really missed the exercise while on vacation, and I wasn't sedentary, but still. Need those gym sessions!

Zebras, the Texas State Fair always has some new deep-fried "treat" to sell. Deep fried Twinkies come to mind. Heh. I guess you can batter and fry just about anything.

Sing, sorry about the shift changes. Am dealing with that myself as my crew goes on vacation and I have to fill in for them or lengthen my schedule to cover the workload. Messes with my nice routine and I hate CHANGE!

Alf enjoy the grandbaby!

Stiriing, it sounds like you've found a great combination to maintain there! Kudos!

*waves to the rest of the gang* Hope everyone has a wonderful long Labor Day weekend! :drinker:
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Yeah, Anna it does sound gross and I'm a butteraholic.

Cardi: I think they've been deep frying twinkies in Scotland since before we were born. Jay Leno once said "Today is the 50th Anniversary of the Twinky, and they are now ready to make the 2nd batch!"
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the short post and not really talking to anyone individually but I am trying to quickly read the new posts so I can get back to cleaning the house. We are leaving tomorrow to go back to Zion and hike the Narrows. It should be fun. My husband is bringing a friend from work that I have only met briefly once so that might be a little awkward but oh well. And the only thing I am really dreading is that we will be driving all night long to get there. My husband is crazy... Hehe

Hope you all enjoy your long weekend and do something fun!!! :happy:
  • Texssippian
    Options
    Hi all! So glad for a three day weekend. Hoping to get the downstairs in at least some kind of order. BUT, we will be spending a lot of time outside. Back in the spring we ordered iris from a local supplier (check out their website www.argyleacres.com ). As my husband said, our flower eyes were too big for our graden stomachs. We ordered 18 different iris! Will have to double the garden space. So, this morning we went to Lowe's and bought 17 bags of soil, compost, etc at 40+ pounds per bag. Had push a wheelbarrow with 3 to 4 bags up the hill to the backyard. Then we took a 60 pound box of clothes to the UPS store to ship out to the son in grad school in San Francisco. Did not go to the gym today but feel like I got a great workout!

Tron, hiking in Zion sounds so wonderful.

Zebras: I forgot the new fried food at the Texas State Fair this year. They have fried twinkies, oreos, pb&j sandwiches with bananas and even fried coke! I am sure Niagra Falls was wonderful.

Sing, I can't do the overnighter very well. My mom stayed up until 4:00 am when brother-in-law got his liver transplant ten days ago. She is still very tired from it (plus all the stress and excitement.). I really wanted bacon and a fried egg the other morning for breakfast, but being cheap talked myself into the plain yogurt, peach and oat granola I already had instead of buying the other stuff in the cafeteria at work. I felt so much better after eating the better stuff.

Caridgirl: your picture is so cute! I'll have one at some point. I understand the "sodium incident" I can really tell when I get too much sodium. I had a half a deli sandwich for lunch today and tell it was loaded with sodium.

April: your trip sounds amazing!

Annaliza: your babies are so cute! enjoy them!

Texasmom: grilled chick-fil-a nuggets? Did not know you could do that. My son worked for them 10 years ago. I don't think they offered that then.

Alf: enjoy the grandbaby.

Stiring: enjoy San Diego. Beautiful place!

MK: Way to eat a burger!

Hope I have not forgotten anyone.

We were going to go the antique tractor show and parade in Lindsay Tx this weekend but the garden work is going to trump that. Have a great weekend everyone.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! Quick check in. Late night- kids plus neighbor's kids are camping in the back yard.:laugh: Finally all's quite on the western front!!! 30 minute brisk walk for warm-up, then Insanity day5- pure cardio. It's a killer!!!!!:noway: Completely drenched in sweat! Felt good, though.:devil: Revved up the metabolism for the holiday weekend fun! Steak and s'mores tonight; plus red wine, of course! Smoking pork shoulder tomorrow. Deck is under constuction--- i.e. NO DECK!!! So traded my food for use and company of neighbors.:drinker: I am the smoking queen!:smokin:

Hope everyone has a great holiday!!!
  • Texssippian
    Options
    April, sounds like a busy time at your house!

We spent the three day weekend expanding our iris garden for the new iris we ordered back in the spring which we received this week. 29 bags 40 pounds each of dirt, peat moss, sand, compost, and mulch. About ten hours over three days. Plus hauled big rocks from around the yard for the retaining wall. Not sure the number of calories burned but it was a lot. LOTS of gatoraide too.

Brother-in-law to be discharged from the hospital later this week. I am flying to New Orleans to help get him settled into a temporary apartment near the hospital where he has to go for daily check-ups for several weeks. He is now almost two weeks post liver transplant. He was so very sick prior to transplant that he is taking longer to recover but he is making steady progress! Yea!
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

It sounds like everyone has had a busy Labor Day Weekend!!! :drinker: It was nice to have a 4 day weekend. We really didn't do anything special, which was nice, too!

I am starting back up with Insanity after taking a break for a week to let my knee & calf heal. I think I will do it for 3-4 days, then take a break for a few days and see how well I am doing at that point. I want to get through these 60 days, then use Insanity as part of my total fitness routine.

I really need to get on board with my diet, too. I have not been watching it at all in the past few weeks. I'm going to eat a very clean diet at least until the weekend. On Friday we are leaving for a wedding in Lancaster County. My wife is singing for the wedding of a former student of hers, and they are putting us up at a beautiful B&B. So, the rehearsal dinner, a big breakfast on Sat. and the wedding reception will be challenging. Who am I kidding? I'm going to indulge a bit!!! So I better take care of myself during the week.

April, was that your pork shoulder I smelled smoking all the way up here? I bought some smoked pulled pork at a local BBQ place. I love smoked meats!!! I would buy a smoker, but my wife isn't too crazy about BBQ. She's a Yankee from Boston, and never had smoked meats until recently.

Tex, you sure got a good workout in the garden!! Are you sore yet? Happy to hear about your BIL's recovery!!

Tron, I trust you had a wonderful time at Zion, it sounds wonderful!!

Alf, how did your visit with your Grand-daughter go? I haven't seen mine in almost 2 weeks.

Have a great day!
  • TexasMom
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Everyone,

Took the weekend off and got to enjoy two days with my grandson and step-daughter. It was awesome. I guess pork was popular this weekend, we bbq'd pork ribs on Sunday. I didn't over indulge all weekend and was proud of myself. I am feeling real sluggish this morning but am hoping that once I get my run/walk in I'll feel better.

Alf - I finally got pics of my husband and step-son skating added to my profile. I think it was back in May that I told you I'd add some and obviously life took over. :noway: My husband is training right now for an outdoor race in Duluth, it will be a marathon, 26 miles. He's been racing really well the last few weeks and said he should be able to win his age bracket. He skated his fastest time last weekend doing 32 miles. I'm tired just thinking about it. I know you enjoyed your granddaugheter over the weekend. Tell us all about it.

Tron - Hope you enjoyed the hike. I wish we lived close to some great hiking trails but the central Texas hill country doesn't offer much. We have a park called Enchanted Rock that we go to occassionally but it honestly isn't very challenging. :ohwell:

April - that was a great trade off with the neighbor. I'm sure they'll want to help you break in your new deck when its done which hopefully will be soon so you can enjoy fall as its coming in. Great job with Insanity. Way to go girl!!!!!

Sing - Good luck starting back up with Insanity. Since I've watched the demo its hard to say "take it easy" so I'll just say I hope your injuries don't recur. :noway: Stick to your guns on the clean eating this week and I know you'll feel better and be encouraged by it. Sounds like a fun weekend coming up so you don't need guilt to go with you. :drinker: :drinker: And it sounds like its time for a visit from the grandchild real soon. :happy:

Have a blessed day everyone!!!!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good morning everybody! I hope everybody had a great weekend.

I had a busy but fun weekend. I kept my eating totally under control....minus a bit yesterday. I didn't even have wine all weekend. :noway: But yesterday I was making carrot cake cupcakes for my husband to take to work, and I indulged a bit too much on the icing. I mean, I was just licking my fingers....alot :laugh: ! But this morning, I feel absolutely horribly. This is pretty much how I used to feel every morning, and I have little to no doubt it is because of the amount of sugar I ate yesterday. And even though it wasn't much, it was enough to make me feel poorly. To say I've learned a lesson is putting it mildly. But....now I know what used to make me feel this way and how I can avoid feeling this way in the future. :tongue:

Anyhow, I am supposed to be in my recovery week for P90X. I did skip working out on Saturday, which was good. I did Core Synergistics on Sunday and enjoyed that. Yesterday, I did cardio and today (when I get to feeling better), I think I'll do some light leg work. Tomorrow, I start round two of P90X.

My new profile pic was taken Friday in 103 degree heat at the San Diego Wild Animal Park! I can't believe we opted to walk around there in that kind of heat, but we did. There weren't many people and, surprisingly, a number of animals were out and about, so it ended up being a fun day.

singfree, take it easy getting back into Insanity. As I said last week, I keep reading about how tough this second month is, so don't push yourself and risk additional injury.

TexasMom, hope you get over the 'sluggish' feeling!

Texssippian, great news on your brother-in-law. I hope he continues to improve.

I hope everybody has a great day! :flowerforyou: