Well, I went and done it now...

Options
I could not resist any longer and had a bag of potato chips today (putting me well above my allowed calories for the day). The sad thing is: I really enjoyed it.

I wonder if I will ever get to the point where I see junk food and go YECH.....I can't imagine how that could happen...I find it so so so difficult to stay on track because I love all the things that we now identify as "bad for you": chocolate, potato chips, hamburgers and mostly desserts.

Has anyone gotten completely over these cravings? How did you do it? Please let me know that there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel.

Replies

• linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I think it will come...I am trying to get myself excited about all of the healthy foods that I am looking forward to prepare this week. I honestly am excited - and I think that is the first step.

I don't think grabbing for a few "tempting" foods is all bad - just add it in your food diary and account for it. Or do an extra 10 minutes walking. The more you deprive yourself the more likely you are to slip up.
  • jlg6599
    jlg6599 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten completely over my cravings either, but it has gotten better. I buy the Baked Lays and just eat the serving size. I still have issues with sweets, but I try very hard to decrease the amount I eat. When I do eat sweets, I always stick with one serving so it won't be as bad. Stay encouraged!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten over it...but i keep my chips until Friday or saturday evening. Not very often but I do have a 40g bag at work (usually when I have wicked PMS)...but yeah i try and keep the junk to the weekends, if you can accomplish that, then you can start abolishing junk totally. Try saying "no junk monday/wednesday/friday" and see how well you do. Make healthy smoothies or eat popchips (and count them out so you don't eat the whole bag) instead of regular chips. It will all come in time...I, however, am not there yet either.
  • niqueMorbius
    Options
    I did that yesterday, only it was cookies.. so today I'm trying to be more careful. I think it's something that will happen off and on to everyone. I did find a nutritious snack that i liked that had some chocolate in it. Next time you're craving chocolate, have a Rice Cracker (35 calories) with a Tablespoon of Nutella(100 calories) spread on it. It gives you the hint of chocolate without crazy on calories.

:)
  • knollmma
    knollmma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Not sure these cravings will ever completely go away. However, I have noticed that I don't crave some things as much, simply knowing how many calories and fat are in them. I've become completely disgusted with restaurant burgers. I don't get them anymore because I know many are over 1,000 calories. Before I eat something bad for me, I try to think about how many calories are in it, whether or not it's worth it, and how I'm going to feel afterwards. I see nothing wrong with treating yourself to a single-serve bag of chips or a small dessert every day as long as you count those calories accurately. I think it actually helps prevent you from binging on those foods in the long run. Good luck!
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I don't think grabbing for a few "tempting" foods is all bad - just add it in your food diary and account for it. Or do an extra 10 minutes walking. The more you deprive yourself the more likely you are to slip up.

I couldn't agree with more with the above statement! You had some junk food- big deal. You ate it, you enjoyed, now move on. Don't beat your self up. The further you get into this lifestyle change the easier it will be, but it takes time! You can't go from all to none and think you won't miss it!

I find that when I do eat something I've been craving or indulge in dessert, I can't eat as much- it's either too sweet, or too salty, too greasy, etc. I end up with a nasty tummy ache most of the time too which is a big deterrant and reminder the next time I want that item

You are doing a fantastic job- keep up the good work! There is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    It's hard to get rid of those cravings. The best thing I can suggest is to either keep them out of the house or pre-bag them into serving sized portions. I have a real weakness for cookies and chocolate candy. I can keep cookies out of the house (usually) but when I do have them in, I keep them in the freezer. Keeps me from going through it in a single sitting, and it's tucked in the back, out of sight. Same for chocolate.
    Try goldfish. If it's the salty you are craving (what I love about chips), you might be amazed at how satisfying even half a serving of goldfish is.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I eat hamburgers at home, I fit it into my allotted calories. If I am out I usually choose chicken instead. I do occasionally eat chocolate or dessert. I do it on a day I have extra calories for it, either because I ate less that day or because I exercised more. By allowing myself to have it sometimes, then I don't feel deprived. Just watch the portion sizes and fit it into your calories for the day. Last night my son informed me there was ice cream in the house. I checked my calories and decided I was too close to my goal, and I didn't feel like exercising. So today, I'm making sure to leave some calories so I can have some. It is all about choices.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I love potato chips, but the killer for me is the calorie content for what you get. I can eat a LOT more fruit for less calorie impact. If I really just want that potato chip crunch I will take a slicer and thinly slice up a potato and make my own chips in the microwave. you can search for microwave chips if you interested in trying them out.

I can tell you the cleaner you eat the less you will crave the junk. It does take time though.

Oh and if you want a burger just use whole wheat buns and the leanest meat you can find and make them at home. you will find homemade burgers are at least 200 calories less than any comparable fast food burger. make your cravings a rare treat instead of a common occurrence. That more than anything else will help. If you cut something out 100% that you want, you will just dwell on it until you binge on it. I learned this the hard way.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I will never get over the cravings... what I do do is allow myself to have some from time to time in within serving size. No food is 100% bad what is bad is not having self control as in how much of it you are really putting in to your body. A serving of chips is 28g ab 18 chips depending on the chips of course... if you have the taste for it measure it out and make sure you tell yourself that is all I am having and no more... enjoy them, take your time eating them - almost as an affair with them, lol...

It is easier to eat in moderation than it is to not eat what for so many years you have eaten... there will come a time that eating other things will just become more satisfying... but it is all baby steps...
  • noteve
    noteve Posts: 57
    Options
    This is the way I see it:

tumblr_ktd3opxIj11qzs9hzo1_500.jpg

I've trained myself to think "EW" every time I see greasy or sugary food. I wouldn't let cake, candy, chips or stuff like that anywhere near my mouth. Because I've trained myself to see it not as food but just as "EW".
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    When I get a craving, I immediately start looking for its healthier alternative. For instance cheesecake - I love it, I suddenly began craving it, I began searching for low cal/fat versions of it.

I made a cheesecake Saturday that is 171 calories a slice (8 in a cake). It's not the real thing, but it's close enough to make me feel "naughty" when I eat it. :wink:
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low-carb to some degree for several years. I used to use a lot of diet soda, Atkins bars, South Beach stuff, sugar-free chocolate and other treats, and still had some carb cravings. The past couple of months, I've tried eating a "cleaner" low-carb, leaving that stuff out. For the first time, I can look at sweets or chips and not be particularly tempted, though I do allow myself a bit occasionally. I do have one square of good dark chocolate (72%) every day with my coffee, and will make homemade treats with stevia.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I could not resist any longer and had a bag of potato chips today (putting me well above my allowed calories for the day). The sad thing is: I really enjoyed it.

I wonder if I will ever get to the point where I see junk food and go YECH.....I can't imagine how that could happen...I find it so so so difficult to stay on track because I love all the things that we now identify as "bad for you": chocolate, potato chips, hamburgers and mostly desserts.

Has anyone gotten completely over these cravings? How did you do it? Please let me know that there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel.

No, you will never look at junk food and not want it. Sorry, but that's the way most people are (myself included).

However, you will find that your desire to "eat the whole bag" does diminish. Your body needs time to adjust to your caloric intake, and you need to take the time to work out foods that satisfy you without wasting your calories on empty stuff.

And whoever told you that hamburgers and chocolate are "junk" foods is full of, well, this is a family-friendly forum so I won't say it. In MODERATION, decent lean beef is an excellent protein source, and chocolate (again in MODERATION, and the darker the better) is full of good stuff. Even potato chips are not unhealthy, if you can manage to eat about a dozen of them and fit them into your calorie budget.

But if you can't resist the whole bag, don't keep them in the house!

My usual dessert every evening is 5 ounces of red wine and about 15-20 Ghiardelli 60% chocolate chips. Suck on the chips one at a time to savor the flavor, and sip the wine. I can usually make it last about a half hour, sometimes longer. Best-spent calories of the !@#$@# day, I tell ya.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low-carb to some degree for several years. I used to use a lot of diet soda, Atkins bars, South Beach stuff, sugar-free chocolate and other treats, and still had some carb cravings. The past couple of months, I've tried eating a "cleaner" low-carb, leaving that stuff out. For the first time, I can look at sweets or chips and not be particularly tempted, though I do allow myself a bit occasionally. I do have one square of good dark chocolate (72%) every day with my coffee, and will make homemade treats with stevia.

That's the key - not getting rid of the actual sweetener, but getting rid of the sweet TASTE that makes you think that everything needs to be sweet all the time. Suddenly, you discover that there are other flavors like you had never believed before, and "sweet" is just one of a spectrum of beautiful, beautiful flavors.

Then something that is merely "sweet" becomes uninteresting.

This works on every flavor but bacon. ;)
  • MaryBowen27
    MaryBowen27 Posts: 132
    Options
    I'm at the point where fast food and junk makes my stomach turn for the most part, but once or twice a year, Taco Bell or a bag of puffy cheetos call my name. I think what helps me is knowing that the reason it tastes "good" is because it's been horrible processed, modified and altered from anything that resembles food. I think about all the fake junk in it and it turns me off.... except those few times... and then.... on those days... it still tastes amazing! Hah
  • MaryBowen27
    MaryBowen27 Posts: 132
    Options
    This is the way I see it:

tumblr_ktd3opxIj11qzs9hzo1_500.jpg

I've trained myself to think "EW" every time I see greasy or sugary food. I wouldn't let cake, candy, chips or stuff like that anywhere near my mouth. Because I've trained myself to see it not as food but just as "EW".

^^This.
  • cc11395
    cc11395 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I don't know that you ever completely lose the cravings for the foods that you like, but I think we can mitigate the potential "damage" and more importantly, guilt, from the occassional indulgence. As so many have suggested, the key is to eat them in moderation and be accountable for them.

In addition to moderation and accountabilty, I would add, eat them with purpose. In other words, know what you are doing, be mindful of the food, and be ok with your decision.

For me, my favorite indulgence is definitely pizza! I LOVE pizza - I know that it's not healthy and I know there are ways to "lighten" it up - but truth be told, I like a good, greasy, pepperoni pizza. So, if I am going to have it, I take every purposeful precaution to minimize the damage. I burn extra calories at the gym, lift a little more, have a giant glass of water and salad to start and then savor the 2 pieces of deliciousness that I am going to allow myself. I eat it with purpose, fork and knife, slow - and know what I am doing and am ok with it.

I know it sounds corny and like I am playing mind games - I am. That's how I get by without feeling guilty - and know that it wasn't my downfall and that I didn't ruin everything I have already worked for.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    the day before I started MFP, I went to A&W because I had a coupon and I got the smallest hamburger they had (Mama Burger) even though I was craving a burger, after I ate it I felt so sick (not from food poisoning just from the grease) that has put me off fast food burgers.

As for other things - I allow myself 1-2 cadbury creme eggs a week now that I have them from easter (but usually one: 150 cals each) and then if I crave chocolate I use president's choice hot chocolate mix (real cocoa) made with water.

I don't crave pop anymore, finding I'm craving water and tea a lot.

for chips, I substituted them with rice crackers (sesame or bbq flavour) and/or triscuits (balsamic and basil flavour)

for candy - I have 35 cal candy but I find I'm not eating as many because when I want something sweet I go for fruit now usually.

This all happened in 2 weeks.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Hell no!!! LOL I have to have my peanut butter and chocolate.