Drowning ourselves in water!!!!

Options
Hey everyone, what do you all think about the news broadcast and so on now claiming that it is not necessary to drink 6-8 glasses of water a day. Anyone see Dr. Oz on Oprah, she was shocked when he said it was not beneficial for weight loss or for our skin.:noway: I swear the benefits for weight loss from drinking all that water is the exercise of all the trips to the little girls room.:embarassed: I swear I need to go sooooooo often.:laugh: What do you think??

Replies

• Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    Hey everyone, what do you all think about the news broadcast and so on now claiming that it is not necessary to drink 6-8 glasses of water a day. Anyone see Dr. Oz on Oprah, she was shocked when he said it was not beneficial for weight loss or for our skin.:noway: I swear the benefits for weight loss from drinking all that water is the exercise of all the trips to the little girls room.:embarassed: I swear I need to go sooooooo often.:laugh: What do you think??
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert...just a water lover...its all I drink except for a glass of skim milk maybe and of course my beloved coffee...ah coffee!

But I will continue to drink my water....I think its helped me a lot too!
    hugs~
    Ali....
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    All I know is I'd rather drink water than soda and all that other crap out there lol.
  • Cloe
    Options
    I don't know if it makes any sense but I actually find I'm addicted to water. I have water with me everywhere I go. It is always beside me watching TV, I bring some in the car with me when I going out or I buy a bottled water when shopping. I just get so thirsty for my water, maybe just habit now. I try and make sure I drink enough before 8 pm so I don't have to drag my butt out of bed in the middle of the night to go. :yawn: :embarassed:

Just a PS, on Oprah today they were encouraging people to use refillable water bottles because of all of us drinking water on a regular basis the landfills are taking a beating with all the water bottles just thrown out instead of being recycled. Can you tell I enjoy Oprah.:laugh:

I don't drink pop either, only my diet coke when it is spiked with a little bacardi rum in it.:embarassed:
  • rayneenie
    rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe water helps me lose weight. I don't care what those Doctors and Scientists say. I can lose double the weight with water than when I don't drink it.
  • ali106
    Options
    but becareful not to reuse the ones w/ a 3,6, or 7 on the bottom in the little upside down triangle...those have a bad chemical in them ...bpa I believe ...there is post on here explaining and msnbc had a video too...food or water for thought!

hugs!
    Ali
  • celeste15
    celeste15 Posts: 51
    Options
    I missed that episode when the doctor was on Oprah but I can sure say that in my case, gulping water does wonders for my skin. (not too sure about weight loss) If I don't drink enough water in a day, my face will break out but I've noticed as long as I keep the water intake going, my face stays clear so I guess it's just everyone's personal opinion as to whether or not gulping water is really the key but for me, it sure helps out a lot!:drinker:
  • Cloe
    Options
    Ya, I heard about that (the dangers of plastic bottles) they say to buy the stainless steel water bottles. Probably last longer too.
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Options
    Water does help fill you up as would any liquid. it just happens to be calorie free and fat free. Cant beat that! I think that is the benefit that water lends to dieting the most. It keeps me from munching on things constantly all day long. If I was choosing a sugary pop or juice then I would be consuming calories. I would much rather save my calories for the food! An occasional Starbucks treat is great too! :happy:
  • riotthyme
    riotthyme Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't watch Oprah, but what I've read that you don't HAVE to drink 8 glasses. Drink what feels right for you. Don't over hydrate yourself for the sake of drinking 8 glasses of water, but don't dehydrate yourself either.

I've found for me that drinking water has made me lose weight, but I drank about 4 diet cokes a day. Now I'm drinking one, and about five glasses of water.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    you can be mad at me if you want.. but do you think it might be another childish ploy to get us to stop drinking bottled water to save the land fills from Plastic... well it should be
    nawwww

Pepsi and Coke companies wouldn't allow it.. just craziness!

anyway... water helps my skin a huge deal... i don't know about weight but it flushes away all my toxins:tongue:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Everybody I talk to say drink your water. My husband is a big water pusher. At the gym, the spin class lady preaches water drinking.
    I think that we should stick to the 8 glasses. I don't swell when I drink water, my skin is not as dry, I am not always wanting to eat, I am not parched and I think just because it is on Oprah, it doesn't mean we should do it.
    There is something about that show.....if that woman says jump....a lot of people say HOW HIGH?
  • ali106
    Options
    LOL:laugh: good one girl~

hugs!
  • dragonscapes24
    Options

There is something about that show.....if that woman says jump....a lot of people say HOW HIGH?

I agree... she does not give the best advice sometimes but everyone follows her like sheep... too many people just take what someone else says for fact without doing any research themselves... a friend of my bf has a word for people like this... sheeple...

Don't be sheeple... do the research...
    Jenn
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Everybody I talk to say drink your water. My husband is a big water pusher. At the gym, the spin class lady preaches water drinking.
    I think that we should stick to the 8 glasses. I don't swell when I drink water, my skin is not as dry, I am not always wanting to eat, I am not parched and I think just because it is on Oprah, it doesn't mean we should do it.

You kinda stole my thunder. :happy:

I was gonna say if I was a doctor who wanted to appear on Oprah, what could I say that would be "shocking" :noway: enough to get me booked.

I've lost a lot of weight since increasing my water intake. My tp budget has tripled, but ya gotta take the good with the bad. :bigsmile:
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    i don't want to be no sheeple. no way.:noway: i'll drink my water and love it.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes doctors or the so called experts just get on a kick, get a kickback in the pocketbook, to have journals printed up for the latest nad greatest fads... Just to see how people can't think for them selves and fall into the hype.

Harsh?? Maybe. I've been there.....

And as for Opra? Well, that's a different story and I just won't open that can of worms....

I love water. I love how I feel when I drink it and I actually crave it, even though I drink about 8 16oz bottles a day. Plain or flavored!!!

So of course, do what is best for your body and do what feels right to you.....
  • jlohern
    jlohern Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't watch Oprah, but I have read multiple articles that state you do not need to drink 8 glasses of water a day. This is because you get water from food, juice, coffee, pop, etc. Although drinks with caffeine do have a slight dehydrating effect, that doesn't come near canceling out the amount of water in them. However, I could be slightly biased because I hate, hate, hate water!
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    As long as your "peeing" clear, your getting the right amount. I think its rather stupid to tell people that are exercising and sweating to drink less. That is almost asinine. I have tried doing rather high endurance things hydrated and dehydrated, and my body would last FAR FAR longer when it had the liquid in it to get rid of all the bad things. I have also never had cramps when the urine test was clear!

:devil:
  • Cloe
    Options

But it wasn't just Oprah!! I have heard that on news broadcasts etc. Who knows??? I do feel drinking my water makes a difference, I was just curious what the rest of you all thought???:drinker: :drinker: