What do you look for in a Personal Trainer?

Options

Replies

• simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    1) Organized for sure. They should come to your 1st session ( the one after your initial assessment) with a plan in hand.
    2) They should have a large repertoire so you can mix it up and not get bored.
    3) They should be attentive and ask you your goals, and about any health issues you may have.
    4) I personally like them to be encouraging but not overbearing (I am in weight-loss mode not get-ripped mode though so that may change eventually).
    5) Professional - look, dress and act like a trainer
    6) Leave the nutritional info to the experts - trainers are not nutritionists and shouldn't act like them unless they have the certification. Otherwise they're just another person with an opinion on what you should/should not be doing.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    "hotness" and "attractiveness" is so subjective - I don't expect a PT to be good-looking!! Just for him/her to know the stuff and be able to create an appropriate exercise plan for me. A really positive attitude is important, especially when I started out I was very unfit and my PT could always find exercises that were accessible at my level
  • juliekbwell
    juliekbwell Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think they're a waste of money, unless you really NEED someone to tell you what to do.

I've lost 37.5 lbs. in 15 weeks through healthy eating and exercise (my own made-up routine).

If I WERE to look for one, someone who looks like they are healthy & seem knowledgable right off the bat.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think they're a waste of money, unless you really NEED someone to tell you what to do.

I've lost 37.5 lbs. in 15 weeks through healthy eating and exercise (my own made-up routine).

If I WERE to look for one, someone who looks like they are healthy & seem knowledgable right off the bat.

Totally disagree. My trainer has taught me so much about fitness, and it helps to have someone motivate you and keep you accountable. I wouldn't have made my progress without the help of my trainer. But of course, not everyone is going to end up with a great trainer! They are expensive, so if you don't like your trainer, jump around until you find a good one!
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    A trainer will teach you little adjustments to simple moves to make them more effective.

For example, I thought I knew how to squat and deadlift but nope i didn't, i had to make a few adjustments and my pt told me about them.

I'm loving the feedback to this topic so far. It has been really helpful :)
  • pearsy67
    pearsy67 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    "What do you look for in a Personal Trainer?"
    Personality compatibility, I spent a long time knowing, but not doing. My trainer is a very good personal fit with me, while he is a semi professional triathlete and I am a fat IT guy, he has that ability to understand the journey I am on.
    It is a given that he needs to be able to show me the right techniques and be able to teach them to me, but it is a collaboration I was looking for to get fit and Tim has proved to be that partner. It is not cheap, but my life transformation is worth it.
    I would not bother with a trainer who didn't understand what I wanted to achieve and why.
    There are many PTs out there that can use gym equipment and just tell you to push harder or don't quit, but it is the rare one that actually support you as a person, not just as a client.

If you want to be a PT look the part, don't be sleezy and know what what you are doing in the gym.

If you want to be a good PT, instruct them on equipment, guide their nutrition, be innovative and broaden their exercise horizons in the gym and outside the gym.

To be a great PT you have to be able to support the person, not just the body. Talk to them about their past, why they are like they are. A great PT is part therapist/confessor as well.

My $0.02
    Cheers
  • BecsWeeble
    Options
    I'm probably one of the largest people here to post and I guess as a big girl, arranging to see a PT drums up all kinds of anxieties, despite having had a PT until recently.

One of several gyms I know of, unofficially divides it's clients sort of along the lines of: PT1 - Female eye candy PT2 - Athletes, extreme fitness and PT3 - Challenges (that includes, extreme weight loss, medical conditions etc.

From a larger girl's prespective and someone who has Neurological problems and is on long term Steroid treatment I would obviously need a trainer who fits in with PT3, I would want someone who sees me as a challenge, who's willing to get around the obstacles instead of wishing to be PT1 or PT2, I would and have put in the work my end, I would want a PT put in the work too.

Becs
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    if i were you... i would join a crossfit gym just for someone to teach you how to do those powerlifts and other exercises properly and then once you understand how to do them leave and join a regular gym. otherwise trainers are pointless. if personal motivation is what you need then by all means hire a trainer. but to be completely honest all the information you need to know is on the internet besides someone personally showing you how to do potentially dangerous exercises that need teaching, such as deadlifts, cleans, squats, bench, etc. you will just be wasting money while a trainer has you do some outlandish exercise that makes you think you need him in order to have success in the mirror.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    my personal trainer is a woman. i specifically chose her because of her body. it's amazing! she has the best butt i have ever seen!!

we met for an hour and she took lots of notes, was very professional and seemed to be knowledgable in things that concern me.

she told me to come in several times ( at no cost) so that i could try working out with her and she could see where i was. it was an amazing work out!!! she definitely pushed me WAY past my comfort zone!!!

i don't know if i could have a male trainer........ the gym certainly does have a lot of them though!!!! :-)
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

I agree. I already pay monthly for the gym and I have a free workout plan setup by my gym. I don't need some guy yelling at me or getting frustrated when I do something wrong. And I be damned if someone tells me to do a damn burpee
  • BrionyTallis
    BrionyTallis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    May i ask what you would expect from a trainer?

-Appearance? Someone who walks the walk, not just talks the talk. Otherwise please just take care of your personal hygiene. Meaning don't do your own personal workout and then work out with clients. Okay to go from client- to-client sessions
    -Experience? Whatever is required in your profession for licensing. I hope something is required.
    -Manners? Basic stuff
    -Organised? and prepared
    -Timekeeping? Not sure what you mean here. Be on time of course. But there are always times when emergencies happen. Call ahead as much as you can. Trainers I have had in the past always had my personal mobile number and called as soon as they knew and called and we worked out details later.

I am female and I have preferred female trainers. I have had both male and female trainers. I have good and bad experiences with all trainers but all the trainers both male and female have been good. The biggest issue that I have experienced I have encountered is that I am not a big talker normally and when exercising it is a bit difficult to talk. So off the trainers go to talk while I am exercising. Not watching what I am doing to see if I am still exercising correctly not realizing that I have gotten tired and started taking shortcuts. Sometimes I don't even realize it. But then coming back at the last couple of reps and correcting me finally. Gee I wish you were here 5 minutes ago when I started doing this wrong. That happened with all the trainers. The male trainers also were "watching" the female clients and making comments. Kinda creepy. I left the gym shortly after for other reasons.

One of the reasons I prefer a female trainer is that I thought a male trainer would be tougher on me than a female trainer. I don't respond well to that kind of kick me in the seat of the pants and I will do better kind of motivation. Well I found a female trainer that had exactly that kind of motivation technique and things did not go well between her and I. So please do yourself and your client a favor and ask them how they prefer to be motivated. Everyone of us is individuals and have our own preferences. I will tell you honestly you can't let me get away with anything but that motivational technique also doesn't work with me.

Finally, the only other reason that as a woman that leads me to prefer a female trainer is that there are things of a female nature I would prefer to discuss with a woman versus a man. It's a plumbing issue.

As for using a trainer at all. It has been over 10 years since I was last in a gym and I have had a number of medical issues come up since. I want someone to assist me in learning the exercises and machines again, to be there to assist me if I need help so I don't overdo it and call for help if I need it and to help with me motivation for a limited period of time. This is well worth the price to me.

Sorry got a little long-winded there
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I agree. I already pay monthly for the gym and I have a free workout plan setup by my gym. I don't need some guy yelling at me or getting frustrated when I do something wrong. And I be damned if someone tells me to do a damn burpee

I disagree with both of you.. My trainer never yells and never makes me do anything I don't want to do. I also don't NEED someone telling me what to do, but I go because I know that I have at least one built in workout session with weights per week.

To OP:
    I look for someone that is in good shape, that cares about me/ what I want to do, that is on time(for the most part.. my current one tends to be late sometimes!) and is just all around helpful.

My current PT is great.. and is slowly learning that I do things my own way, on my own time. If I don't want to do something, then awesome, I don't have to and we'll try again in a couple weeks. He's currently teaching me how to do barbell lifting, and having someone there to actually watch and correct form, is way more then any video can do for you.

Personally, I love personal training.. and as long as I can fit it into my budget, I plan on keeping mine around.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I'm in the progress of become a Certified Personal Trainer atm and would like to see what others responses are.

Bump :)
  • niknak30
    niknak30 Posts: 58
    Options
    There is no way I would want a female trainer, just like I would never want a female gynae! I relate better to men telling me what to do. In a personal trainer I look for a few things
    a) He has to be a little bit good looking, but not so much so that I think he is hot. I am more likely to not want to disappoint him as I would want his approval of what I am doing.
    b) I would want him to be physically fit
    c) Have an understanding of health, nutrition, science and the appropriate qualifications and insurances etc
    d) To have an interest in who I am as to try and understand what I need from him
    e) To plan my training sessions around my level of ability – part of the reason I see a trainer is because I want to be able to complete the tasks (I struggle in group sessions because I feel like I can’t keep up and that kills my confidence)
    f) To be supportive and encouraging but also to kick my butt when necessary
    g) To push me harder than I could push myself
    h) To help me set goals that are a challenge but achievable
    i) To remind me that I can do this
    j) to be polite and punctual
    k) to be flexible with times (I am a shift worker so my availability changes every week)
    l) to see the results he has achieved with others - word of mouth is the best advertising

My trainer charges me $60 per hour but I do get a slight discount because I do two PT and 1 group training session per week. I think his standard rate is $65. It's a lot of money but it is worth every cent to feel fitter and stronger and happier and healthier.
  • SUSIE091
    SUSIE091 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    There is no way I would want a female trainer, just like I would never want a female gynae! I relate better to men telling me what to do. In a personal trainer I look for a few things
    a) He has to be a little bit good looking, but not so much so that I think he is hot. I am more likely to not want to disappoint him as I would want his approval of what I am doing.
    b) I would want him to be physically fit
    c) Have an understanding of health, nutrition, science and the appropriate qualifications and insurances etc
    d) To have an interest in who I am as to try and understand what I need from him
    e) To plan my training sessions around my level of ability – part of the reason I see a trainer is because I want to be able to complete the tasks (I struggle in group sessions because I feel like I can’t keep up and that kills my confidence)
    f) To be supportive and encouraging but also to kick my butt when necessary
    g) To push me harder than I could push myself
    h) To help me set goals that are a challenge but achievable
    i) To remind me that I can do this
    j) to be polite and punctual
    k) to be flexible with times (I am a shift worker so my availability changes every week)
    l) to see the results he has achieved with others - word of mouth is the best advertising

My trainer charges me $60 per hour but I do get a slight discount because I do two PT and 1 group training session per week. I think his standard rate is $65. It's a lot of money but it is worth every cent to feel fitter and stronger and happier and healthier.

Totaly agree and snap i have male PT and he is a body builder :) i deffo get on better with men as they do the less emotional side of it lol !!
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    erm did mine after school at college, (in the UK) mines CYQ as the exammining body. im on REPS (register of exercsie professionals) which is like the uks regulation thingy! but im doing sports sciency type stuff now at uni :) always trying to expend in the industry :)
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    erm did mine after school at college, (in the UK) mines CYQ as the exammining body. im on REPS (register of exercsie professionals) which is like the uks regulation thingy! but im doing sports sciency type stuff now at uni :) always trying to expend in the industry :)

i am from England you know :-P
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have started to apply a fairly simplistic mindset in regards to who to look to for advice, find someone who is where you want to be then follow them to get there. As for a trainer I really don't care much about certifications, the industry is flooded with BS ones but having a decent one would be good. Find someone who is obviously passionate about fitness and improving themselves because this will translate to wanting to help you improve in most situations.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i like to know that they are customising my workout for me. if they remember my injuries, or my things that i can't / won't do, and work with me, instead of giving me a "standard" workout.

i have bad knees, therefore, jumping lunges etc. are no good for me, they need to remember that, and not give it to me, find alternatives, and keep trying me on new things that i might not have tried.

it's hard to say unless you've tried them for a few sessions to see if they are just doing a standard workout, or if they actually listen to you.
  • pietomb00
    pietomb00 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm a PT too! Good luck with yours, it's great to do.

I try to do what most people here have been suggesting, one thing I notice people really don't like is when trainers don't pay full attention to their clients. (I cant stand it myself when I see other trainers do it)

I also always try to be friendly and approachable.