Did anyone NOT have a weight problem as a child?

Options
When I was a child I was always very thin. Even when I was born I was very small. I never had issues with food or weight as a child/teenager. When I met my husband in college in 1996 I was a size 3!! Over the years I slowly gained weight as I was no longer active in sports and concentrated on my studies. To make a long story short after marriage, different jobs, and three kids I gained more weight (a lot of stress eating!). I am 5'1" and my heighest weight was 178.8 in 2008. I am currently 146.2. I hear a lot of people talk about their struggle with weight most of their lives. I was wondering if anyone else is in a situation like mine where the weight came later in life? And if so...did people close to you treat you different when you gained the weight?

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Nope, never had a weight problem as a kid, and even when I started here, I wouldn't say it was a "problem." More of, I needed to start caring again.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I was skinny until about 19, than I packed on 70lbs. And ever since than its a battle, found out I have hypothyroid :(
  • roviear99
    roviear99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I, too, was very thin when I was younger, not truly gaining weight until I became pregnant with my daughter. I did put on the "freshman 15" in college, but then, I needed it! By the time I graduated, I was a healthy weight for my height and body type. It's been downhill ever since I didn't try to lose the weight after she was born. I have a relatively high metabolism, so I didn't actually 'gain' weight until after my 2nd child was born. Then, I decided enough was enough and focused on healthy eating and exercise, losing about 30 pounds. Then along came our 3rd (and final?) blessing and all that focus went right out the window. So, now, 5 years later, I'm back in the saddle again! Enuff is enuff!
  • roviear99
    roviear99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good point about caring again, Emcarroll! That's my main problem, not really seeing the point. I used to be passionate and, I think with my lack of pregnancy weight loss, I just decided, ah, forget it!
  • michelle850
    michelle850 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was never heavy as a kid, I didn't really pack on the pounds until my mid twenties when I went through a depression. Since then it's been kind of up and down. I don't know that people really treated me differently, but I did feel sort of invisible when I was heavier, it's like people don't really see you when you are bigger. Not so much family and friends, but just in general. Maybe it was all in my head, because I didn't feel cute or comfortable, I projected that...I don't know.
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider mine a "problem". My doctor told my mom I was "moose" when I was toddler. They were afraid my legs would bow under all my weight. LOL....but, as I grew I lost the weight. I was smaller in high school and had a 25" waist. But soon after high school I decided to try the Deppo Shot. BIG MISTAKE!!! I gained 30lbs in 6 months.... Then got married, had a child....you know the rest....now that my metabolism has slowed down, it's harder to take off the weight and keep it off.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight problem growing up; my parents have always been big on nutrition and fitness, so I was very healthy and well-versed on this stuff. Then, after some horrible bullying and a sexual assault in high school, I fell into a very severe depression that lasted until this year. Over the course of those eight years in between, I packed on 90 pounds from drinking very heavily and basically punishing myself with food (the vast majority in the first 18 months or so). I pretty much put on the weight deliberately (even if I couldn't articulate why at the time); I knew exactly what it was doing to me, but I thought I deserved it. It was only after being forced to quit drinking that I realized that none of it was my fault; I changed my diet and attitude overnight and the weight's been flying off ever since.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My weight was never an issue until I moved in with my now husband when I was 25. Our room mate was an *kitten*, so we pretty much kept to our room. This meant the kitchen didn't get used, so we ate out pretty much every meal. I was about 20 pounds overweight then, but I got really heavy after having kids.
  • Summersadiva
    Summersadiva Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    No. Never had a weight problem. I still don't. I'm just being proactive about my weight and my health.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    No, I didn't have a weight problem as a child at all. I was extremely thin throughout my 20s (VERY bad eating habits), but struggled with weight gain in my early 30s, largely due to lifestyle changes. For most of my life, though, I've not been significantly overweight.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    < No weight problem as a child, until I hit about 30 or so...
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    I was thin and athletic until around age 40!!! then it was just a gradual loss of control.
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    I never had a weight problem until I had my first child then BOOM! Gained 60 with her and gained 50 with my son!
  • greeneyesplus2
    Options
    Weight was never an issue for me until I had my daughter when I was 29. Now I just cant lose weight no matter how hard I try.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I only gradually gained weight from the age of 18 to 30 years old because I didn't care about what I ate. And when I did care I thought that barely eating was being healthy and doing the right thing. Whereas doing that gained me 60+lbs.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    No childhood weight problem. Played outside way too much for that. Inherited a high metabolism. But I was never FIT, NEVER. And that's what I want more than anything. I don't care about the number anymore. I just want to be fit.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Never had a weight problem until I had kids. Then I just let it all slip away.
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Never had issues as a child or teen. Everyone called me skin and bones. I was very active. After age 20 started putting on weight, got up to 165 lbs fast. Gradually climbed up and down, till i reached 183lbs, last year. Cry-ed after that dr's visit, went home joined mfp and Im down 33 lbs now. My problem lack of motivation, and exercise.
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have never had a weight problem. After I had my twins I was considered overweight until they were a year, but the weight came off easily after that.

I have never loved to excercise because all my friends run. I loathe running and thought that was all there was. Now I know better.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Always was the "fat kid" or "tubby tubby 2 X 4, can't get through the kitchen door". :mad: :mad: :mad: Kids are so cruel!