Did anyone NOT have a weight problem as a child?

Options

Replies

• delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Nope. When I got to my 30s, I had to start exercising and eating healthier, but didn't get overweight until a back injury (about 10 years ago) put a halt to almost all physical activity. The back is still extremely painful, but I am eating healthy and trying to bite the bullet and find certain exercises I can do.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Was short skinny kid growing up - grew 6" after high school and then started filling out. Basically just an upward trend until this year when I decided to pay attention to being healthy and lose weight.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight problem till around 30
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was skinny in the first grade-taller than all the other kids. Didn't start gaining weight till I was about 8 or 9 after being very sick with something they first diagnosed as leukemia and then decided was a strep infection in my blood from unpasterized milk. Daddy thought I started gaining because of the experimental drugs they gave me. By age 12 I was 5'4" and 140 which is not too heavy but I still got called fat at school which didn't help. I am 5'7" not would love to weigh 140. I like to think I don't have the baby fat cells they keep telling us about.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I didn't. I was always a tall child, but thin. Don't remember any issues with food until I went away to university. That's when I started gaining weight.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My weight was never an issue till my Mom died when I was in my early twenties. Now? Oh yeah.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i was ok untill about 12/13 yrs old and then it happened pretty quick lol :blushing:
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight problem growing up. Mom did tell me the other day that I was heavier than I remember being in high school, but I was very well proportioned, and you couldn't tell I was nearly as heavy as I actually was. I was about 145 at graduation, and wearing a size 6. I didn't start gaining weight until right about the time I got pregnant with my oldest child, and it was downhill from that. I was in a bad relationship and very depressed, and my way of dealing with it all was to eat. I tried several times to lose weight while in that relationship, but I was so unhappy that I wasn't really motivated or successful. After I left my ex and moved back home, I started eating healthier, working out regularly, and feeling better about myself. The weight started to fall off, and I lost about 40 pounds in a few short months without really trying. Then I got married and pregnant and put it all back on and then some. I had a very difficult second pregnancy and spent almost the entire time on light duty with high blood pressure and gestational diabetes. But here I am, about 107 days in, and about 20 pounds lighter. I'm happier and more active than I have been in a while.
  • Chrissy9632
    Options
    I was never overweight as a child or teenager but I was always very active. After I graduated and started being more social with drinking and eating late at night I started gaining a lot of weight. And its definitely harder to get it off than it was to put it on.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I was chubby from 3rd grade until I was 16. But strangely, now that I look back on pictures of me in that period of my life, while I was a husky kid, I do not look as fat as I remember. I think I was extremely self conscious as a kid about beng fat, and I can actually remember my abs and back hurting from sucking my gut in all the time.

Also, what's really funny is that if you took my child hood pics and compared them to today's children, I actually look thin. ha.
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I was thin until I got pregnant at 20 years old. Then two kids later and a few years of marriage.. I packed on 80-100 lbs I have had no motivation to get rid of. That is until now! No time like the present right?! You are not alone in this struggle. :)
  • teamvillpino1
    teamvillpino1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nope, I was very thin until I quit smoking in my 30's. I replaced cigarettes for candy and munched on potato chips in the evening--30 lbs and 10 years later, I'm determined to lose at least 20 of those lbs.
  • chelchelt
    chelchelt Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was a very active child so I was pretty thing and healthy. When i hit 15 my weight went way up I gained about 40 pounds between my freshmen and sophmore years. I thin lost it and was 110lbs for a couple years. Then when I got pregnant with my children, starting at 21, it started going up and I've been fighting it since then,
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I was never overweight until after I started having kids. I ate whatever I wanted when I was younger but I was fairly active. I went out a lot in college and drank/ate too much but I also ran just about every day.

After college I had an active job and then started having kids. I lost all of the pregnancy weight right away but then I gained a bunch after each kid was born. I only worked part time when my oldest was born and then stayed home full time since my 2nd was born.

I don't really remember anyone treating me differently when I was heavier.
  • clioratha
    clioratha Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was a stick growing up - was 5'9 and 115# when I got married, and stayed relatively thin despite eating what I wanted until I had my kid (about 8 years after marriage) - I put on a lot of weight while pg - 45#, and that's with a 6-week preemie. (I weighed 200 when I delivered...) I managed to lose all of that weight and then some, getting down to 140#, but it's slowly crept back on over the past 13 years. Not sure if it's because now I'm over 40 and my metabolism has slowed down, or because having a kid messed things up... Or maybe just the reality that financial situations have changed, and going out to eat for the sole reason that we're too worn out to cook was a viable option, and therefore we did so more often than we should.

My turning point was about 6 months ago when I realized I weigh more now than when I did when I had my daughter. A lot more. I've lost almost 10 pounds since Christmas, but I'm still over that number :(

(Edit: please no hatemail about the maths not working - I did put on *some* weight between marriage and pg...)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I had no weight problem as a youth or for many, many years. As an adult I ate horribly, avoided exercise, and drank excessively for decades but stayed in a healthy weight range. I didn't gain weight until I was in my fifties, long after giving up alcohol and the lifestyle that should have packed the weight on. I can't explain it, but weight only became an issue for me in my early to mid fifties and I have knocked it back now with the help of improved nutrition and finding exercise that I enjoy - cycling and trail running.
  • Denise6914
    Denise6914 Posts: 176
    Options
    I was always very thin as a child. I ate very healthy and was on a competitive dance team. People used to ask if I was anorexic. I didn't start gaining weight until my husband walked out and we went through a divorce. I just stopped caring for a long time.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem with weight and never gave it a second thought until I had kids. I remember going shopping with friends as a teenager and not being able to find much that fit me as I was too thin.

I had my first son at 19, piled on the lbs but lost them very easily afterwards...which I put down to my age and the fact I couldn't drive back then so I walked a lot. My body wasn't the same though, my belly was still a problem area (and I expect it always will be).

I had my second son at 24 (2.5 years ago) and I'm STILL trying to lose that weight. Another 7lbs to hit pre-pregnancy weight.
    I find it easy to maintain any weight too, I always have. I just find it hard to lose excess 'baby-weight'.
  • candidglances
    candidglances Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Growing up i was a skinny little bean pole that people thought i didn't EAT anything! The truth is I ate what I wanted and didn't gain a pound! I was a size 0 up until my 3rd child. I had her in 2009 and haven't been able to get back down since. I was 26 then. It's been 2 years since then and i'm STILL having a hard time getting the weight down as it's slowly progressed upward. so i've had to do something about it before it gets out of hand.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I never had a weight problem until I was nearly 30.