Did anyone NOT have a weight problem as a child?

Options

Replies

• dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I was thinner most of my life but I'm short torsoed so I carried any "extra" weight different. My mom had her own weight issues and projected them on me and started me on the long road of diets to lose weight.

I graduate high school probably around 5'3" (I finally got the last inch and unfortunately 2 extra cup sizes my first couple months of college) and weight about 117 lbs. But by then I had such a wrong view of food and how to use food that I went nuts in college and all those years of being told I was fat came true. Now I'm trying to learn to be healthy.

So while I didn't actually have a weight problem per se, I thought I did because I was told I did.
  • ProudMomToTwo
    ProudMomToTwo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    We were all very strong athletic farm kids growing up. All five of us.
    I went out for every sport in school and so did my siblings.
    We all stayed busy and active and none of us were overweight.
    I put on a few inches in college but was still skinny.
    It wasn't until I got married and got a sedentary job that I started to gain some weight.
    I got pregnant with my daughter and then lost all the pregnancy weight and was back in my pre- preg jeans.
    Had a miscarriage and put on some pounds staying home with my daughter.
    Gained some pounds during my pregnancy and lost a bunch and gained it back due to complications after delivery and a blood clot.
    Gained more staying home with both kids.
    Another miscarriage and more weight.
    My siblings have all gained a lot of weight also in their adult years and all have sedentary jobs.
    I am the youngest and still the smallest even though I am still overweight.
    When I get to my goal weight I will be tiny compared to my siblings.
  • NSQuintana
    NSQuintana Posts: 207
    Options
    I've never had weight problems as a child or as an adult. Our mother instilled the importance of good nutrition and exercise into us at a very young age. Even as an adult, I try to continue to workout and watch what I eat in an effort to maintain/tighten up. Hopefully my example will also rub off on my child and future children.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I didn't until I was about 14 and was allowed to stay with my grandparents for the summer... they allowed me to drink soda like it was water... after that I started to have weight problems ish... Most of my problem is that I'm just plain lazy.
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I was very thin all growing up! I had a very high metabolism and ate what I wanted when I wanted! I wieghed 95 pounds when I got pregnant with my first child and weighed a whopping 200 when I had her. I have never been able to get it all off since! And struggle with my weight on a constant basis now!
  • hersheythecat
    hersheythecat Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I was always very curvy as a child/teenager but never had a weight problem. I didn't have one until I had a bad relationship and then I put on 50 pounds in a year. Then I lost 20 of that, got into another bad relationship and put on 80 pounds in 2 years. See a cycle? I'm slowly loosing the weight from those two relationships. I refuse to be in a relationship that is detrimental to my weight.
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    No problem as a child... put on the weight (5 stone in 2 years) when i quit smoking at 21.... 6 years later, i decide to do something about it!!!
  • shannypoo21
    shannypoo21 Posts: 329
    Options
    I used to be a stick figure. People in my family called me 'string bean' LOL! I didn't start packing on the weight until I was about 17/18. and it has been a rollercoaster ever since.
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    As children I am quite sure we were super active.
  • AmberWilkie
    Options
    No problems until I started having kids and then it seemed like my metabolism completely changed.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    When I was a boy the Doctor told my Mom I needed to put on weight. I wish I had known when to stop!
  • Nucky719
    Nucky719 Posts: 143
    Options
    I didn't start gaining weight until I was about 25 after 2 kids. I was rail thin before that and my nick name throughout school was Olive Oil :laugh:
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I was skinny as a rail and ate whatever and whenever I pleased until I found wedded bliss in my late twenties gained about 83 lbs. in 10 years so here I am.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I never had weight problems as a kid. I was really active. When i started Junior high, at age 12 I had C cups and the attention I got was too much for me to handle so I started binge eating. Then my PCOS kicked in adding to the weight gain and by age 15 I was 175 pounds so I've been over weight since about 14 or 15 years old.
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I graduated in 2002 weighing 105 pounds. Over the next 4 years was when I got to my heaviest I weighed up to 165-170 when I got married. I think it was when I developed stress eating/bad eating habits and poor exercise habits. I had a office job so I would not push myself to do anything after work. I am now down to the high 130's and plan to get to the 120's buy July the latest
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Was always in great physical shape in HS. I weighed 195 all the way up to 1995. Then I met my wife. I never used to eat dessert when I ate out, she always wants dessert. I stopped being as active as I graduated college in 1996 and went to work in the real world and then in 1999 was critically injured and had 30+ surgeries and really slowed down and became a couch potato. Now I am back to trying to be more active and eating better.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    nope, not then, not when I joined and not now. The only time I really did was right after having my kids.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I have always been slender and athletic. Until I was in my 20's, I was small enough to be mistaken for a boy. I did develop curves, but stayed slim. Until I had a baby at age 44, I never really had any issues with my weight. Never counted calories or struggled to lose, in fact, if I put on 5 pounds, I'd eat salads for a week and do 100 situps a day and bam! I'd be back to normal.

Which is why this final struggle to lose has been so very difficult for me. After having the baby, I didn't lose the baby weight and in fact, I gradually put on about 5 pounds a year until 2009 when I quit smoking and started counting calories. I've managed to lose 40 pounds, but cannot get rid of the last 15, no matter what I do.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem, was 2lbs (yes, 2) when I was born, weighed like...96lbs from age 15/16 until I was about 24, then I actually went to a dietician to GAIN weight. Got myself up to about 110-115 (depending on the time of month) and then I took a desk job where i've slowly packed on about 15-20lbs because I was used to being able to just eat what I wanted and not really do anything, I didn't bother adjusting my activity/eating habits. I wouldn't say my weight is a problem now, but more that the upward trend wasn't something I wanted to continue. So I joined MFP to learn how to be healthier and get in better shape!

I actually HAVE noticed a difference, with family more than friends, they make little jokes (i'm 5'2, currently about 130, but it's a big change from the smaller me they're used to) ...my mom actually grabbed my belly the other day and was like "What's this?!" ugh. So it's been a bit of an adjustment.
  • supermom2002
    supermom2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I was always a skinny runt as a kid. Back when your parents threw you out the door and you didn't come home till the street lights came on. Between that, competitive figure skating and swim team, eating "normally" it kept me pretty healthy.

Wasn't until high school when my extra curriculars turned into sex and alcohol that i blew up like a balloon.