Replies

• giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Bump to save in My Topics.
  • rales12
    rales12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think I got it. Its really simple if you don't read too much into it!
    BF%: 45.5% (GROSS!)
    K-M's BMR: 1430
    Lightly active calorie goal: 1966
    Moderately active: 2217

Me: 198lbs, 5'4", 24 years old, goal weight of 135lbs.
    So those numbers all seem correct, and the logic behind it does make sense. I'm barely losing anything with what I was doing, so increasing calories was my next idea.

However, I have a question that I didn't see answered anywhere.

I am exclusively breastfeeding a baby. Right now I have it set on my food diary to subtract 500 calories per day (that's about how many calories you burn to produce milk), so I eat an extra 500 calories per day to keep my milk supply going. I was netting 1200 per day, so eating 1700 per day. None of these calculators make an allowance for breastfeeding... Do I continue to add an extra 500 calories per day to make an allowance for the breastfeeding? So right now I consider myself lightly active... instead of eating 1966 cals per day, should I be aiming for 2466? (Man that seems like a lot! I've been eating in the 1500-1800 range for so long that I'm going to struggle to intake that many at first lol)
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I think I got it. Its really simple if you don't read too much into it!
    BF%: 45.5% (GROSS!)
    K-M's BMR: 1430
    Lightly active calorie goal: 1966
    Moderately active: 2217

Me: 198lbs, 5'4", 24 years old, goal weight of 135lbs.
    So those numbers all seem correct, and the logic behind it does make sense. I'm barely losing anything with what I was doing, so increasing calories was my next idea.

However, I have a question that I didn't see answered anywhere.

I am exclusively breastfeeding a baby. Right now I have it set on my food diary to subtract 500 calories per day (that's about how many calories you burn to produce milk), so I eat an extra 500 calories per day to keep my milk supply going. I was netting 1200 per day, so eating 1700 per day. None of these calculators make an allowance for breastfeeding... Do I continue to add an extra 500 calories per day to make an allowance for the breastfeeding? So right now I consider myself lightly active... instead of eating 1966 cals per day, should I be aiming for 2466? (Man that seems like a lot! I've been eating in the 1500-1800 range for so long that I'm going to struggle to intake that many at first lol)

That looks correct to me! But you don't have to start off with that many calories. You can do it gradually.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    interesting read
  • michie27
    michie27 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thegoya
    thegoya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    save
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've read and re-read this post many times and I'm finally going to stop lurking and say thank-you! I've been gradually increasing my calories and as long as I've measured my waist in the right place :/ these are my numbers -

Female, 42, current weight 139lbs, goal 126lbs

Body fat percentage 36% ( I don't like that number and prefer the one that my scales tell me - 27% - but there you go!)

Katch-McArdle BMR 1244

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1568
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1797
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2026

I tend to do 5 to 6 days of cardio burning an average of 300 cals per day with 3 dumbell sessions thrown in (not very heavy, but heavy enough for me)

Since this thread started I've been keeping a record of my calories eaten and have gradually increased from an average intake of 1300 a day to an average of 1700 a day by using the MFP method and eating back calories. As luck would have it last week at just over 1700 I lost 3/4lb after 2 weeks of 1/2lb losses at 1650 cals! I'm finally ready to go with just setting my daily goal as one number and not eating back calories. You've convinced me :))

As of yesterday I've set my goal at 1800. I've a feeling that it should be around the 2000 mark and may well use the extra 200 as a buffer on the odd day. When it says you can drop your intake by 200-300 cals as you get nearer to your goal - how near do 'they' mean? Or do you just wait until the loss stalls? I'm happy with a 1/2 lb loss a week so I'm not in a rush to decrease tbh.

Am I correct in thinking that I shouldn't net below 1444 (BMR + 200) but otherwise just stick to 1800? I'll still be logging my exercise just for my info but only looking at my goal cals for the day and net if they fall below the 1444.

Ok I think I got everything down that I wanted to say/ask I guess I just want someone to tell me I have it right and to just grow up, put the blumming calculator/spreadsheet away, trust myself and go with it
  • Gertie_Brinks
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Female, 42, current weight 139lbs, goal 126lbs

Body fat percentage 36% ( I don't like that number and prefer the one that my scales tell me - 27% - but there you go!)

Katch-McArdle BMR 1244

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1568
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1797
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2026

I tend to do 5 to 6 days of cardio burning an average of 300 cals per day with 3 dumbell sessions thrown in (not very heavy, but heavy enough for me)

Since this thread started I've been keeping a record of my calories eaten and have gradually increased from an average intake of 1300 a day to an average of 1700 a day by using the MFP method and eating back calories. As luck would have it last week at just over 1700 I lost 3/4lb after 2 weeks of 1/2lb losses at 1650 cals! I'm finally ready to go with just setting my daily goal as one number and not eating back calories. You've convinced me :))

As of yesterday I've set my goal at 1800. I've a feeling that it should be around the 2000 mark and may well use the extra 200 as a buffer on the odd day. When it says you can drop your intake by 200-300 cals as you get nearer to your goal - how near do 'they' mean? Or do you just wait until the loss stalls? I'm happy with a 1/2 lb loss a week so I'm not in a rush to decrease tbh.

Am I correct in thinking that I shouldn't net below 1444 (BMR + 200) but otherwise just stick to 1800? I'll still be logging my exercise just for my info but only looking at my goal cals for the day and net if they fall below the 1444.

So you increase calories a little, lose a tad more than normal, the math (which is still underestimated) show you should really eat more, to lose even more.

Why not go for it? You've proved it can work. And working out that often you really are at higher level. Perhaps 1900.

If you have a few rest days, and of course still eat the same level, it's not bad if a day or two you get close to net BMR, those other days balance it out.

Near goal weight means final 5.

Also, since you are basing this on LBM BMR calc, re-measure every 5lbs loss and recalc, and adjust the goal if needed, because you hope your LBM goes up and BF% goes down, now that you are feeding the workouts.
  • Padmo
    Padmo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carolkobe
    carolkobe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. You started a very interesting and informative thread!
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

So you increase calories a little, lose a tad more than normal, the math (which is still underestimated) show you should really eat more, to lose even more.

Why not go for it? You've proved it can work. And working out that often you really are at higher level. Perhaps 1900.

If you have a few rest days, and of course still eat the same level, it's not bad if a day or two you get close to net BMR, those other days balance it out.

Near goal weight means final 5.

Also, since you are basing this on LBM BMR calc, re-measure every 5lbs loss and recalc, and adjust the goal if needed, because you hope your LBM goes up and BF% goes down, now that you are feeding the workouts.

Thanks heybales, I appreciate the input and my head is telling me you're spot on. I think I'm going to carry on with 1800 for the rest of the week but watch this space I might just increase to 1900 before the week's out.

Your comment with regards to getting close to net BMR and it being ok makes sense and I hadn't thought of it that way.

Thanks again.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    bump because I keep losing this thread :P
  • bondavbriwil
    bondavbriwil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump for awesomeness
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have been eating using this method for 2 weeks now. Like everyone else my weigh and body fat t has been up and down a small amount a lot over those 2 weeks. I know I have to stick with it and see how I get on.

I really feel like reducing my calories by 100 per day in the next few weeks if I don't see some movement.
  • rbottom12
    rbottom12 Posts: 27
    Options
    bump to save
  • Carim007
    Carim007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    All over the Forum, Heybales is sharing his exceptional knowledge !!!

We should all be very grateful for his kindness, and let him know how much we value his recommendations ...
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    All over the Forum, Heybales is sharing his exceptional knowledge !!!

We should all be very grateful for his kindness, and let him know how much we value his recommendations ...
    :love: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I'm a problem solver. Now where's that wrench at....
  • sugarsquare
    sugarsquare Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    OK I just found all of this information this morning and I went to the fat2fitradio website and completed the calculations. The body fat calcs. were all different ranging from 14.5% to 30.7%. I used the 30.7% which was the military calc.

Age 26
    Female
    Weight 145
    Goal Weight 135
    Height 67 inches

Harris-Benedict Formula 1478
    Katch-McArdle Forumla 1352

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1722
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1973
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2224
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2475
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2727

I have been at a base of 1280 on MFP and eating back 1/2 of my fitness calories, usually 100-150 each day. I work out 30 mins doing 30 day shred and shred it with weights by Jillian Michaels alternating DVDs 6 days per week plus I am doing the Couch 2 5k and I am in week 7 jogging that 3 days per week. If I were to follow this I would need to eat 2224 calories a day!

Most days I am STARVING at my previous calorie intake and my weight loss has stopped for over a month and a half. I am just trying to figure out what I should be eating to lose these last 10 pounds and tone up! I upped my calories to about 1600ish this week, but I am having a hard time figuring out exactly how much to eat!