Is it cheating if...

Options
13»

Replies

• BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Ok as having not used a food scale before If i weigh it thats not going to tell me how much 2/3 cup is whether its mashed or not?
    don't think I'm getting this across like I"m trying to okay I weigh 2/3 cup mashed and 2/3 cup not mashed so how does that tell me the calories i'm having?

You don't weigh in cups, you weigh in grams (or ounces if you're a nutjob).

Here's a good way to enter yams by weight rather than volume - click the menu, choose 100g, voila. If you only eat 50g of yam, put .5 in the text box.

yams.png

I would recommend using the food database entries without the * beside them whenever possible, because people that add food to the database seem to be about as accurate as a measuring cup.
  • agrzybow
    agrzybow Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Funny thing, I started weighing some of my snacks, and actually I was eating too FEW of the items (peanuts, for example), instead of the other way around (I was counting out how many peanuts, etc., instead of weighing the "30 grams" that it mentions on the package). I was overerestimating my food portion calories until I started weighing my food - you might be, also. I did this also with chicken, steaks, my eyes were opened to proper portion sizes after getting a scale.
  • pixelish
    pixelish Posts: 54
    Options
    Cheating? Who knows. However, since the food doesn't know it's being measured, it does not have the ability to adjust its calories to the number you are expecting. :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to shove a Yam in there and your spouse doesn't know about it then maybe it is cheating.
  • happypath101
    Options
    Love this post. Thanks!

I always feel so neurotic when I measure things. But, the other day I measured out a tablespoon of salad dressing to give myself a refresher course. OMG! I'd been barely using 1/2 tbspoon and marking down the typical 2 tbspoon serving every time. I was doing the same thing with my daily peanut butter for breaky. (I'm sure I'm underestimating somewhere else though, Sigh!)

Time to get a new food scale. (Mine only measures in grams and it's hard to read anything under 100. So, I think I need a fancy digital one that does conversions for me too.)
  • wilson1024
    wilson1024 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs either way! Can't eat that stuff! LOL Sorry............ but yea your best to weigh like everyone else says :)
  • happypath101
    Options
    I would recommend using the food database entries without the * beside them whenever possible, because people that add food to the database seem to be about as accurate as a measuring cup.

LOL! And thanks for the tip!
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale ... MUCH more accurate to determine true serving sizes.
  • andyandronnie
    andyandronnie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So glad you asked this because honestly, I would be on the same page as you!!!! Squish that sucker till it fits! hee hee! I know, so bad, but I am definitly getting a scale for home and work so I can make sure! :wink:
  • sgballow
    sgballow Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I understand you question, just don't have an answer! I would google it!
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a specific scale? I want to get one.
    I have a Biggest Loser digital scale from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It was $20. I think any digital scale will be fine. What I would look for would be a "zero out" option so you can put your dish on it and reset the weight to zero (or after you've added some food, zero it out to weigh something else on your plate), as well as an ounces/grams toggle button so you can measure in whatever unit your calories are listed in without having to break out a calculator. I would think that most digital scales have all that.