Is it worth $25 for a SV?

Options
Some people think I've gone off my rocker... completely insane... and generally headed to wingnut land in a mental sense. This Friday, I'm going to go by my old dr.'s office and get a copy of the one and only medical record I have from him. It will cost me $25.

Seems fairly normal... but I'm going because my medical chart will have my highest recorded weight on it. I didn't look at the scale but I believe it is 349 lbs. If this is true (we'll see Friday) then I will be officially 109 lbs. less than that mark.

First of all, I'm nervous and scared to actually see how heavy I was back then. It was some years ago, but still, that is what I did to my body and what I'm trying to correct.

Secondly, I have to bust out $25 just to see one single number on a chart.... does that sound silly to anyone? To my friends, I sound like I've lost it and they think I shouldn't do it. Of course, I'm going to do what I want, but I was wondering if any of you would do the same.

See, my goal is to get down to a healthy BMI range for my height, bone structure and body type. Within that range is the number 149. Yes, I want to work hard and get fit and one day (sooner rather than later or never) be at a 200 lb. loss. How amazing would it be to lose 200 lbs.? I know how amazing it feels to have lost 87 lbs..... and 200 would be a miracle feeling for me.

Would you do it?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Not silly at all.

This is why I don't have friends. One of the reasons, anyway.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think that's totally legitimate. You want to know just how far you've come and I don't see the problem with it. PLUS who knows what else is in there that might be helpful to you?
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Totally would do it. Tell your friends to shush. Its not hurting them, and its making you feel better. Couldn't you just look at your chart though? Without asking for a copy? I thought they had to show you your chart if you asked to see it, you just couldn't leave with it.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    If you want it you should get it! And btw....FANTASTIC job on losing 87 lbs already!! I hope you get to the 200 u want. Awesome job :smile:
  • spiral82
    spiral82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If I were your friend, I would support you in getting that sole number for $25. It appears that it is important to you. Once you have the number, it sounds like you'd be more content.

If I were in your shoes and I wanted that number and it would benefit me in some way, I'd pay $25.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I would do it in a heartbeat.
    ETA: But I'd be annoyed with the doctor's office for the charge.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If this is true (we'll see Friday) then I will be officially 109 lbs. less than that mark.

Fantastic!

I'd pay $25 to be able to confirm those bragging rights!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I would do it. I don't think that's silly at all.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I NEED my data and my numbers, they help keep me interested and on track. So yeah, since I'd probably pay more than $25 to know my highest weight I'd say you are definitely NOT insane. Go get it!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If it's important to you, you should do it. Although I'm sure you can get them to tell you the number for free just by having them look it up in your chart, if it's important to you to actually own an 'official' record of your weight/health at that point, I say go for it.

$25 is steeper than what my dr's office charges for copies of records, but it is pretty standard for them to charge since it takes them time and resources to pull your file and copy it for you.
  • MissMollieD
    MissMollieD Posts: 130
    Options
    I would do it. But I am a numbers person.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't think thats crazy at all. I'd be willing to pay more.
  • Biggusburdus
    Biggusburdus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would ask to see the chart, take a photo and not pay 25 for the chance to see my own records!
    But that is just me?
  • MissMollieD
    MissMollieD Posts: 130
    Options
    Also, isn't it YOUR medical record? I don't know the protocol on that sort of thing but it seems odd to me to charge you to give you something that belongs to you AND you have already paid them to take the records in the first place?
  • xsarahlouise1
    Options
    I would.
  • aprilgrl27
    aprilgrl27 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You are freakin brilliant...and I'm stealing your idea :) And FYI, I had to get a copy of my daughters medical chart a couple weeks ago...when I picked it up, they didnt charge me anything. But they told me they would. Guess they forgot. I hope they forget to charge you too. lol. good luck!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    In the pursuit of your health? Heck yeah it's worth it.

Congrats on the 109 too!!!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Frame that puppy ! : )
  • clwassa
    clwassa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Argue with the doctor's office about the charge and you'll eventually get it for free. Tell them it's YOUR medical record and they shouldn't be charging you for your own information (unless it's page after page of photocopies, which could get pricey for them). But for one piece of paper? That's ridiculous! If nothing else, talk to the nurse on the phone and tell her to look at your chart and just tell you what your highest weight was. Or just schedule a checkup and ask the doctor while they're in the room with you and have your chart already open!
  • Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I would definitely do it! :smile: