Any tips of making whole roasted chicken

Options
2»

Replies

• summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Brining doesn't have to be complicated. Sometimes I just put the chicken in a stock pot, dump on salt until the chicken is covered with salt, add cold water and a few ice cubes, and stick the whole thing in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.

When I want to brine a turkey, I do the same thing, except I use a large cooler and more ice cubes, and I don't put it in the fridge!

I also recommend roasting chicken in the crock pot. Since all the steam stays in the pot, the chicken stays juicy.
  • Pauline3290
    Options
    i usually smother with butter etc but don't want to do that, can I just put spices on the chicken will it be moist enough?

I rub witha small amount of oil and then put a small peeled onion up it's derriere - that keeps it moist.
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I spray my chicken with I cant believe its not butter. Gives it awesome moist flavor, without the added calories.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Crock pot chicken with spices, sometime even just a bit of poultry seasoning is nice. It stays moist.

Yep, this is what I do, and it just falls off the bone. It's a big hit at home.
    I roll a couple balls of foil at the bottom to prevent it from sticking.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My favorite way now is to make in the crockpot. I just rub seasoning all over it. It is moist and fall of the bone when it is done. To make the skin crispy you can put it under the broiled for a few minutes when you take it out. It is so flavorful and moist!!!!
  • lizzyliz79
    lizzyliz79 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i usually smother with butter etc but don't want to do that, can I just put spices on the chicken will it be moist enough?

If you turn the chicken upside down and wrap it in tin foil before putting it in the oven, all the juices that are naturally in the chicken run to the bottom of the pan. When you take it out and turn the chick the right way up, it will have been continually basteing itself in its own juice throughout cooking. Do this and it does not dry out.

^^^Do this!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options

I cook it from totally frozen!

it stays very moist...keep the lid on, and keep it on 350 for over an hour...just cut the leg and if there's no pink it's done. for the last 10 mins take the lid off, if you want to rip off the skin, go ahead and then put your spices on...be careful, now!

I know it may sound gross to cook form frozen, but I do it with roast, chicken, ham, pork. not dry - ever!
  • bettyboop1209
    bettyboop1209 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    dont know if you can watch the video on this where you are but the instructions are very good

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-to-cook-like-heston/articles/hestons-top-10-tips-for-chicken
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options

If you turn the chicken upside down and wrap it in tin foil before putting it in the oven, all the juices that are naturally in the chicken run to the bottom of the pan. When you take it out and turn the chick the right way up, it will have been continually basteing itself in its own juice throughout cooking. Do this and it does not dry out.

^^^Do this!

Not much on presentation here. Flat white breasts but if you are dining alone and not looking for a nice roasted skin, it might serve you.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I stuff fresh herbs and thin lemon slices under the skin along with salt and pepper, then toss the skin before serving. But I'm kinda off chicken right now. I've OD'd and now it sounds really unappetizing.
  • btnyegurl
    btnyegurl Posts: 27
    Options
    If you put a half cup of orange juice into the pan with the chicken as it roast, it will steam and help keep the chicken moist without adding a sweet taste to the chicken.
  • ady41
    ady41 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I cover an baking pan with salt, not the fine ground one, the big one an just put the whole chicken on it. No spices, no oil, nothing. All the fat will be absorbed by the salt. I'm cooking it in the oven for almost 2 hours at 350 and turn it twice. It is absolutely delicious!
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I put some fresh herbs UNDER the skin of the chicken, along with some salted herbs too. Then I put some water in the pan so the chicken stays moistured.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    1. Rinse chicken cavity and outside in cold running water. Let most of the water drip off of it.
    2. Place chicken in roasting pan.
    3. Sprinkle with your favorite spices. ( they will stick to the skin because it's still a wet from the rinsing)
    4. Place in a preheated 325 F oven..close the door
    5. Cooking time will vary due to oven, baste often with a ladle or turkey baster.
    6. When your meat thermometer registers 185F with the probe in the thickest part of the meat the bird is done. Avoid any bones
    7. Set the table and break out the plates.

It's a chicken, not a gymnast. :noway:

Slow and low is better than high and dry

Cheers
  • Gohomebay
    Gohomebay Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Made the chicken a few days ago and delicious used at of olive oil, lots of herbs and lots of lemon had a real nice zing to it, recommend lemon for rubbing on the chicken not butter lol
  • jmchambers5
    Options
    This is my go to recipe for roasted chicken. It might look too simple, but trust me on this one; It's delicious.

http://www.esquire.com/features/guy-food/roast-chicken-recipe-0510
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I usually put some garlic cloves, paprika and salt under and over the skin. Then I throw some herbs and 1/2 a lemon inside the bird. I tent foil over the pan for most of the cook time and take the foil off in the last 15-20 minutes to brown the skin. DELICIOUS.