Defeated before I begin

Options

Replies

• Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to others, compare yourself to who you were yesterday.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Honestly you don't need to do an hour on any cardio machine. A lot of people do it for a multitude of reasons (they enjoy it, they think cardio burns fat better, they want more food to eat) but it's not NEEDED to lose body fat.

The best way to lose body fat is to reduce overall body weight. To do this you need a deficit and the easiest way to achieve this is through eating less food than your body needs to maintain your weight.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If your just starting then start small. if you can only do 15 minutes a day then that's how you start. it's still 15 more then the one who won't get off the couch. You can march while you watch tv or spin.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    you are doing good. Don't get discouraged by comparing self to others. You will get stronger as time goes on. Give yourself credit for getting started. Great job and keep with it. This is a great site for knowledge, encouragement, and support.
  • walneyite
    Options
    You are doing really well and keep it up... Start small and build up as you feel ready.
    I joined a gym last year and went often but never seemed to lose weight.

I am 40 and Recently had gp tell me i had a worryingly high bp and need to lower it.
    in my attempt to sort it I found this app and have just started it and feel more motivated.

I decided to go for a walk which is something i have never done and have started to feel and see the benefits already .
    Don't compare to others just be happy in yourself ..... You are doing well . Good luck.
  • palfijozsa
    Options
    Don't forget to take a look at what and how you are eating. It is all about small steps. When we moved to our new apartment, my husband and I took the opportunity to get rid of our old dishes. We went from the enormous dinner plates to the medium-sized salad plates. Since we were both raised in the "clean everything off of your plate" mentality, it is more visually appealing to see a plate covered with food, rather than THE EXACT SAME PORTION on a huge plate with space around the edges. We also made sure to eat slowly, while sitting with good posture...at the table, with no TV on or other distractions. Mealtimes are family times for us: a chance to enjoy one another's company and enjoy the food before us.

After we had implemented the changes to how we were eating, we then started removing high fructose corn syrup from our diet. His mother had been a diabetic, so he knew first-hand what terrible things the corn syrup did to her blood sugar...worse than processed sugar. We both started losing weight with just these changes.

We have both been increasing our levels of exercise little bits at a time. Sometimes, I still waste a day, just laying around, reading or playing silly computer games. But I don't beat myself up about it. Now I say, "Okay, you may have chosen to not use the gift of today very well, but tomorrow is another day." Through the motivation of people on here and my husband, I am finding ways to add movement to my day. My favorite is cranking up the music while I fold clothes or do some other hated chore. Since most songs are only a few minutes long, I set a goal to vigourously dance or wiggle to at least one song. When I am unable to dance at the same pace, I change to very slow movements until I am ready to rock out again. I am noticing changes already: I have more stamina and more energy.

We didn't make huge lifestyle changes, nor was it all at once. But making the small choices, every day, add up to BIG change in the longrun. Feel proud of the little changes you are making and only surround yourself with positive people who make you feel good about yourself.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You need to start somewhere! When I was 21 I joined gym for the first time. I weighed over 200 pounds and got on the treadmill the first day. I walked a whole mile - I was so excited!! Took me 30 minutes...yes you read that 30 minutes. But I started somewhere! Funny thing, I've completed 5Ks in the about the same time. I can do sooo much more now. Start slow, add 5 mins every week until you are doing about 30-40mins a day. Also, I'm pushing 40 and the most important thing we can do at our age is strength training. You should look into some work out DVDs incorporating strength training as well.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It may sound like a cliche but Rome wasn't built in a day.

I started running in my early 50s after decades of being a highly accomplished couch potato (if it had been an Olympic event I expect I would have won gold....) I could barey run around the block without thinking that death would have been a relief. But I persisted and, very gradually, my fitness improved. In 2009 I ran my first 5K race and haven't looked back.

Don't expect overnight success but keep going at it, progress at your own pace and give yourself a big pat on the back for making positive changes in your life.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Yes loosing fat mass is my goal... I have a lot to put away...What other techniques are there to use?

Losing fat while preserving muscle mass is your goal. You do not want to lose muscle. Unless you want the "skinny fat" look?

Cardio is really not mandatory to achieve this goal (although it can help, particularly in women). Resistance training is needed to preserve muscle mass. Just cardio will not accomplish this.

I am doing the cardio in conjunction to weights...
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    What does your resistance training routine look like?
  • flonightn
    Options
    I REALLY needed to see this post. Just did my first elliptical session and could only do 10 Minutes!! I did tell myself that that was 10 minutes more than any time in the past few years. So I will heed the advice of increasing by 10% each week.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I just started working out.. I am pushing 40 and have literally never ever exercised before... I just purchased an elliptical hoping to do my cardio at home...

Here's my problem... I keep seeing friends and members doing 60+ minutes everyday on cardio... and I feel beyond proud of myself if I do 15 or 20 minutes ( moments away from falling out). My question... is doing 15-20 doing anything? is it something that I work myself into?

Yes, it is doing a lot and believe me, if you persevere, after a few weeks, you will be well into forty minutes or more.

Work up gradually, adding a couple of minutes extra each session. Do not rush it, that is how people get injured, just go at your own pace.

Enjoy your elliptical and WTG for making that effort!! :flowerforyou:
  • ShanR77
    ShanR77 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It took me almost a month to get up to doing 60 mins of walking on the treadmill
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started with 20 minute workouts! Everybody starts somewhere, and in my opinion, starting slow is better than pushing too hard and burning yourself out right away because it's too much, you're too sore, or whatever.

Start with what you can handle and eventually you'll find yourself wanting to do more. :smile:

Edited to add: Heck, some days I still only do 20 minutes! :laugh: Depends on how I feel and how much time I have! but usually I get at least 40 minutes per day, sometimes more if I also get a run that day.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Small steps will get you there.I couldn't even bring myself to put a toe on a treadmill a year ago, but I hit a small plateau weight wise and forced myself to do 15 minutes a day at a slow walk 2.8 mph. It was all I could manage. Every week I increased my pace or time by just a bit. 5 more minutes or at 0.1 mph faster.Then I started using my heart rate as an indicator of how hard I was trying. Tried to keep it between 120-145.After 6 months I was walking at 3.5 mph for an hour and then started the incline. Up and up I went until this January I decided to try running. I lowered the incline to 0 and started running at 4.5 mph for 30 seconds every 5 minute intervel. Today (only 3 1/2 months of this running thing) I run over 5 miles between 5.5 and 6.2 mph for an hour. I know it's not the fastest pace on the block,but I will get there. No one is more amazed than I. As the weight comes off and I improve I can only say that I have more energy, feel more fit, and see no reason to stop. I must add that I invested in a good pair of running shoes($100 Asics) and have no problems.
  • Deidre33
    Deidre33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just read a post were a lady lost over 80Lbs in 6 mnths... she changed her diet to 1300 cal per day. She bought an elliptical , and when she started she could only do 15 minutes. Now, 6 months later she is able to do 120minutes. My point, stay at it u will get there.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think you need to work up to 60 minutes. I read you have to do 30 to start burning fat. And if you want to lose weight you have to do 60. But you can't just do 60 right away. It takes time.. And you can lose weight and whatnot when you are starting out doing what you can and watching what you eat. Every week just push yourself a little harder.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    It's not all about weight loss, either...I'm older than you (kiddo!) and it's so important that we do weight-bearing exercise from now on to maintain bone density and muscle mass. So if you can only do 15 minutes, that is *exactly* why you should be doing it! Take that as a sign that you have some work to do on your fitness (as do most of us here of course) and get to it :)

:flowerforyou:
  • momsdumplin
    momsdumplin Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just started using the elliptical 2 weeks ago on a dare from a friend who is more overweight than me. She worked her way up to 15 minutes on it (literally started at 2 minutes and kept increasing). I got on it the first time and was only able to do around 5 minutes but now I've passed her on time. I made it to 40 minutes today. I hope within another 2 weeks I'll be able to do 60 minutes on it as it is a great calorie burner. I've also increased my time and speed I can walk on the treadmill. 18 months ago I couldn't walk faster than 2.9 MPH on the treadmill and for only 20 minutes! Now I can walk on it at 3.5MPH (I have really short legs!) and I can walk on it for over an hour. The more you do it the better you get and the longer you'll be able to do it. Don't feel defeated. It all just takes time.
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Is your resistance up too high? I remember I never understood how people could run for anywhere over 10 minutes until I realized that I was sprinting. Also... you need time to work up to an hour. It's hard work. :-)