How much cardio v. weight lifting do you do?

Options

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Currently lift 2x a week (with a short cardio session afterwards), run 4x a week, and yoga 3-4x a week. But I'll be changing to lift 3x a week, run 3x a week after my half marathon in two weeks.
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I do 4 days of lifting, 3 of very light cardio (about 20 min or so) and 1 day of a little heavier cardio. 1-2 days of rest.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Lift 5x a week and cardio 2-3x.. But I only do HIIT so as not to lose the muscle I'm building
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I eat right to lose weight (you should too)... ~2000cals per day, heavy on the protein.

I lift heavy to look better (you should too)... complex lifts, 5 sets, 5-8reps, 3x week.

I do cardio for endurance and cardiovascular benefits (you should too)... whatever I feel like - basketball, running, biking, swimming, more or less whenever I feel like it.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose another 20 lbs or so (not too worried about the exact weight goal, just a healthy weight for my body type), and get my body fat percentage down to 18-19%. In Feb I was at a 33% I believe, and I've lost a couple pants sizes since then so I suspect it's lower now. We'll see when I get another body comp test done next month. I'm also winding down from distance race season and working on speed right now, will be working on distances again later in the summer.

Currently, I'm doing strength training 4 days a week (emphasis on lifting heavy, working with the NROWL program as well as other exercises), and I do cardio 3 or 4 days a week, sometimes 5 if I feel like it. And by cardio I mean 2 days of HIIT, one long run day (6-10 miles, depending on what I feel like doing that day), and I take a cardio kickboxing class Wednesday nights wearing weighted gloves. I also try to work in a hot yoga class once a week, schedule permitting.

I'm down a total of 18 lbs (lost 2 before joining MFP) and 2 pants sizes, almost 3 (these skinny jeans I'm wearing today aren't so skinny anymore! They're kinda falling off lol), and I've notice a lot more muscle definition in my arms and legs, plus my stomach is a lot flatter...I'm getting there!
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Weights 3x a week, cardio 5-6x.

I feel like I do too much cardio but It's my stress relief, I'm addicted.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    3 days cardio, 3 days weights, which I alternate everyday, and take Sundays off.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    For Me Cardio is the best for getting my cut look..and to reveal Abs. I also do Cardio for stamina and overall health improvement. Ideally I like to do at least 30 to 40 mins a cardio 6 days a week. I lift anywhere from 3 to 5 days a week depending on the workout I am doing.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 days a week and do some HIIT those days also......I play soccer once a week and coach twice a week.......Sometimes I will do more cardio if I feel like it/have time.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Lifting 6 days a week, 30+ minutes of cardio (running) 4 times a week. I also boulder at an indoor rock climbing place once a week or every other week.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I do 4 days weights 1 day carfio, use to do 3 weights, 2 cardio. But I do bike to and from work (4.8 mile round trip, 2.4 each way)
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Lift four times a week, most of the time with about fifteen minutes of treadmill jogging beforehand to warm up. Also,
    Lift heavy weights 3 days per week (full body workouts), cardio 5 to 6 days per week. Always lift before doing cardio.

Care to explain?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do bike to and from work (4.8 mile round trip, 2.4 each way)

Awesome! I wish I could ride to work more often.
  • kuhndog61
    kuhndog61 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow guys! Thanks so much for the input. Right now I'm lifting twice a week - heavy weights to fatigue and cardio or some type of class (step, kickboxing) 3 times per week. Eating as clean as possible also, heavy protein.

You guys rock
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Weights: 3 days a week 45 minutes.

Cardio: 'uh, whenever I can make myself do it. Maybe twice a week for 30 minutes. Maybe less.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    4 days strength training with 2 days cardio. My cardio is not usually steady state.

Ditto!!

My cardio consists of 20 minutes of HIIT training on the treadmill.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I usually do 3 days of lifting, with 20 minutes of cardio after, on those 3 days. I also do about an hour of cardio, 3 days a week. One rest day.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    3 days of strength and I try to do 3 days of cardio (running) but sometimes less.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    3 days heavy lifts 2 days cardio and 1 day 10+ mile run/hike.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    at least 3 days of strength, at least 2 days of cardio... all of which are 30 mins to an hour long. sometimes both on one day, sometimes singly, sometimes I am a couchpotato and do neither :)

I used to do mostly cardio (1st 8lbs lost or so) and I must say the strength has given me MUCH better and MUCH faster results. not to mention even when I technically wasn't losing weight, I still lost inches.

edit to add - I say at least 2 days cardio but sometimes up to 4 days in a week. just depends on my energy level.