I only lose when I DON'T exercise

Options

Replies

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I recall reading about weight-loss studies from before World War II in which this effect was mentioned. Extremely obese patients on restricted-carbohydrate diets actually lost more weight when put on bed rest than they did if they exercised. It wasn't because they were losing muscle from inactivity, either; it was almost entirely fat loss. If anything, some of the subjects gained muscle, IIRC. I wish I could give you references, but I don't have the book with me right now.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    If you hadn't exercised in a long time your muscles may have been holding onto water to help with tissue damage. I lose about a pound a week but I see a difference in the way my body looks and the way my muscles feel. I would rather be strong and healthy than skinny.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    the way i understand it is that exercise does a couple of things - first of all, muscle weighs more than fat. so you'll be losing inches, but not necessarily weight at first. and as you build that muscle, you begin to burn more calories at rest - so you should still see loss, it will just be slower (but you'll be losing the inches).

AND, exercise causes the muscles to retain water. so some of that could be water weight too from your body repairing the muscles. make sure you are including a rest day or two to allow those muscles time to recoup... good luck!!! (i've had the same issue by the way).

Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Muscle is more dense than fat, but a pound is a pound is a pound. A pound of muscle takes up less physical space than a pound of fat, but muscle doesn't "weigh more" than fat.

Muscle does weigh more than fat. Nobody is saying a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat... That would be like saying steel weighs the same as a feather because a pound of steel is the same as a pound of feathers. What they are sayingis if your body hasn't changed in size, but you have lost fat, and replace it with the same amount of muscle it is going to weigh more. Something being more dense means when you compare things the same size it weighs more.
    just saying, if you're comparing equal masses, then, yes, steel/feathers/muscle/fat all weigh the same. muscle is more dense than fat, just as steel is more dense than feathers.
    because weight is a value based on density and volume, you can say any two materials weigh the same: i weigh the same as a part of the empire state building, for example. a pound is a pound, no matter what it's made up of. a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of steel weighs the same as a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle.
    while they're not saying that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat, they are saying that muscle weighs more than fat and, without a given volume, that's just not true.

This isn't against you, but why would someone need to give a volume, when everyone on here knows what you are talking about? You (not you specifically) know people are saying that if you replace the same amount of fat size with the same amount of muscle size that the muscle weighs more. It's like arguing for the sake of arguing just to pretend you are smarter than everyone else. Everyone knows that a pound of one thing weighs the same as a pound of something else... or at least I hope they do....
  • cwilhelm40
    Options
    When you exercise, you are gaining muscle while losing fat. That muscle weighs more than the fat it is replacing, so your weight will plateau for a while. Get into that routine and the weight will begin coming off again. Take your measurements, though, because even though you aren't losing weight, you should notice that you are losing inches. Don't give up! :smile:
  • boys3girl1
    Options
    Bump
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    This isn't against you, but why would someone need to give a volume, when everyone on here knows what you are talking about? You (not you specifically) know people are saying that if you replace the same amount of fat size with the same amount of muscle size that the muscle weighs more. It's like arguing for the sake of arguing just to pretend you are smarter than everyone else. Everyone knows that a pound of one thing weighs the same as a pound of something else... or at least I hope they do....
    yes, you would think everyone knows that, but people are idiots.
    sources: 3+ years in retail, 4 years in public high school, 1 year of public college.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    something looks weird with your sodium. I'm pretty sure sausage has more than 1mg sodium.
    Sodium* 0.5g
    MFP does sodium in mg... so that would mean this nutritional info is 500mg, not 1.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    the way i understand it is that exercise does a couple of things - first of all, muscle weighs more than fat. so you'll be losing inches, but not necessarily weight at first. and as you build that muscle, you begin to burn more calories at rest - so you should still see loss, it will just be slower (but you'll be losing the inches).

AND, exercise causes the muscles to retain water. so some of that could be water weight too from your body repairing the muscles. make sure you are including a rest day or two to allow those muscles time to recoup... good luck!!! (i've had the same issue by the way).

Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Muscle is more dense than fat, but a pound is a pound is a pound. A pound of muscle takes up less physical space than a pound of fat, but muscle doesn't "weigh more" than fat.

Muscle does weigh more than fat. Nobody is saying a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat... That would be like saying steel weighs the same as a feather because a pound of steel is the same as a pound of feathers. What they are sayingis if your body hasn't changed in size, but you have lost fat, and replace it with the same amount of muscle it is going to weigh more. Something being more dense means when you compare things the same size it weighs more.
    just saying, if you're comparing equal masses, then, yes, steel/feathers/muscle/fat all weigh the same. muscle is more dense than fat, just as steel is more dense than feathers.
    because weight is a value based on density and volume, you can say any two materials weigh the same: i weigh the same as a part of the empire state building, for example. a pound is a pound, no matter what it's made up of. a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of steel weighs the same as a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle.
    while they're not saying that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat, they are saying that muscle weighs more than fat and, without a given volume, that's just not true.

If your logic works they you and I weigh the same because 1 lb of you weighs the same as 1 lb of me, I call BS to that argument.
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I would think that it is not the muscle building that is slowing the weight loss, but your body is attempting to replace the water and glycogen normally stored in your muscle in order to perform activities that slows your weight loss down. If your BMR is 1550 you need to make sure your are eating a bit above that and that you eat back your exercise calories so that your body has fuel to use and turn into glycogen to store in your muscle. the glycogen and water stored in the muscle will weight a little bit more initially and may show on the scale. It may take a month of staying on track with the calories eaten and the exercise regime, but you will again begin to lose weight. This weight loss will be a healthy weight loss. Stay the course, you will come through it.

^^my thought exactly. If you don't eat enough and especially if you're not eating back your exercise calories you're body is going to hold on to the weight for dear life. Just make sure your net calories are in a healthy range.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    OP here - just adding (again) I do eat back my exercise cals, minus 100-150 to allow for mfp's generous estimations of burns.....

Probably don't drink enough water, so will really try harder with that.

Thanks re the sausage info - that's how someone else has put it into mfp, so I will have to add it in again correctly next time I have them:)
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

If your logic works they you and I weigh the same because 1 lb of you weighs the same as 1 lb of me, I call BS to that argument.
    we have different volumes and densities. i weigh the same as a part of you (or you weigh the same as a part of me; i don't know what your mass is.).
  • seizethefray
    Options
    Thanks for this thread, OP! I'm having the same problem right now. My scale moved a bit when I started my journey but I haven't seen a significant loss in weeks. It's hard not to get discouraged, but I can FEEL myself getting healthier and losing inches. I keep telling myself to stick wth it and it's bound to come off eventually. Slow and steady...

Also, found a quote online last night that I LOVE. It's now the wallpaper on my phone:

EARN IT.
    It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing,
    8 weeks for your friends to notice,
    and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice.
    Give it 12 weeks.
    DON'T QUIT.

:) Best of luck!
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Greetings ! Haven't looked at your diary, but my immediate thoughts: By adding the exercise, you stopped losing because you weren't getting enough fuel - not enough food for the exercise you were doing. Our bodies are built to survive, to adapt. Too large of a caloric deficit has the effect of putting us into a plateau. You need to eat more. If exercising - EAT MORE. Calculate your BMR - make sure you eating, at minimum, your BMR daily.

If exercising, you can actually eat at maintenance and let the exercise create your caloric deficit for weight loss. LOTS of good information out there on this topic. An immediate place I'd lead you to is the "Eat More to Weigh Less" forum group. Check it out !

Jen
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/harlanJEN

What she said!
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    maybe you are just at a plateau...you are almost 30 pounds down...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

we have different volumes and densities. i weigh the same as a part of you (or you weigh the same as a part of me; i don't know what your mass is.).

muscle and fat have different densities, but keeping volume constant, muscle will weigh more due to Earth's gravitational force.
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I only lose when I exercise.. Can eat like a horse as long as I exercise..
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

muscle and fat have different densities, but keeping volume constant, muscle will weigh more due to Earth's gravitational force.

Muscle is more dense than fat.. Like men or heavier than women because their bones are denser. Meaning the molecules are closer together... Just saying... ;p

A lb is a lb, but a lb of feathers is much larger in the space it takes up than a lb of iron..
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I found this when I first started as my body wasn't used to exercising that excessively. When i stopped due to pulled muscles and couldn't exercise for a week or two I dropped the water and more.

So then I started building up slowly, having a more intense week the week before TOTM is due (when woman's metabolism is naturally higher) then taking a few days off once it started.. mainly due to stomach craps and let the water come off naturally. I usually find I lost 3-4lbs extra to what went on. Though now I'm nearer to goal I'm only losing an extra 2lb.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options

If you take a cupful of muscle, and a cupful of fat, the cup of muscle will weigh more... I'm sure when people say muscle weights more than fat, they're talking in terms of two samples of equal volume of each being compared..

what you're doing is like correcting someone for saying "lead weighs more than feathers". I think it's obvious that a pound of lead would weigh the same as a pound of feathers. But a certain volume of lead would clearly weigh much more than an equal volume of feathers.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough

Eat your 1200 plus your exercise calories.

And we have a winner!