5am Workouts?

Options

Replies

• A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I will say I used to do this when I was doing 30-day shred. I woke up everyday at 5:30 to do my workout before work, but now I go to the gym after work because my babies go to a daycare there. You just have to force yourself to do it - I am not a morning person either, but you will adjust if you make it a routine.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I do a 6am workout once or twice a week. It is absolutely lovely to get your exercise knocked out of the way. Make sure your alarm is far enough away that you have to walk to it to turn it off. This will make it less likely that you will just switch it off and go back to bed.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    There are lots of great ideas listed here. I get up between 4 & 4:15 to work out before work. The first couple of weeks are tough, but once you get into the habit, it's a cake walk.

I also do suffer from intermittent insomnia, so on the nights that I don't sleep well I will skip my morning workouts.

I do a lot of the things suggested: layout my shoes, socks, workout clothes, HRM, etc... the night before. I do have my own "at home gym" so I don't have to travel anywhere very far....just my office. LOL

I am also in bed by no later than 9pm during the week.

Good luck!!!
  • candacerm
    Options
    I go to sleep in my workout clothes, some comfy ones, capris and a fitted workout shirt. Toss my shoes near my bedroom door, socks stuck in the heels. If I feel like it I'll wear the sportsbra too so I can't think "well, its a pain to put that bra on i'm not going" LOL. I'll set up a small snack in the kitchen ready to go so I can just groggily stumble and eat it. My other wake up trick is to get on my wii fit and weigh myself EVERY morning, and do some hula hoop. After that I feel pretty energized! I don't do 5 am but 8 am is EARLY for me, when I spent most of my life getting up at 11.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    Does anyone else get up early to workout? I want to start getting up at 5am, but I am so not a morning person. Any tips and tricks to waking up early (other than going to bed early)? Working out in the evening is about to become impossible with my work schedule . . .

not since hs, when i'd get up and work out in the basement before school. But i'm buying a treadmill today so i can run daily before work
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    This is kind of a weird one but I found that if I brush my teeth and drink a glass of water before I work out I'm somehow more awake. I wake up at 5:10am and in the gym by 5:20 : ) Making it routine helps a lot too!
  • chroniclesofadime
    Options
    My trick is to go to bed wearing the vast majority of my workout clothes (sports bra, tshirt, workout pants) so that all I have to do is put on socks and sneakers (which I keep right by my bed and have to put on anyway to take my puppy out). Also, I keep my workout DVD in the DVD player.

I saw something cute on Pinterest about this...it said, "exercise in the morning before your brain figures out what you're doing". Sooo true!!

The best part is, once you get home from work, you don't have to do anything but relax, or you can even go to happy hour, guilt-free!!
  • jessicagraves1212
    jessicagraves1212 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    dont hit the snooze button or you will never get out of bed. get up with a game plan in your head for what you are going to do and have your clothes layed out. 5 am workouts are awesome
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to NEVER be a morning person. After a while I got tired of going to the gym after work, and I decided to try the mornings. Now I absolutely love it. I wake up around 4:30/5:00 go to the gym then come home coo. breakfast then head to work. I don't know that I'll ever go back to evening workouts.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:30 am about four days a week to workout, with my rest day mid week to break it up. I like getting up early and your body gets used to it after a while. I usually wake up just before the alarm goes off. The early workout sets me up for the day. I never feel like it in the evening.

Just try to get yourself organised and don't go to bed too late.
  • LadyJos
    LadyJos Posts: 29
    Options
    445 am for me at least 3 days a week,. I hated at The beginning all I did was whine about how tire I was. I'm not whining now!
    On a good week, I get in 3 morning and 2 evening. If that's the best time for you to workout, do it. Before you no know you have your routine down packed! Good luck.
  • bholmes21
    bholmes21 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Just getting up and doing it. I work out at 5 or 5:30 almost every morning. It takes awhile to get used to but so worth it! GREAT way to start the day!
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I saw something cute on Pinterest about this...it said, "exercise in the morning before your brain figures out what you're doing". Sooo true!!

haha that's awesome and so true! lol Otherwise the brain can talk you out of it lol :wink:
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yep... I get up every morning at 4:30 and I am at the gym by 4:45. I am a morning person... so no real tips, other than you will just get used to the new schedule. Maybe try going three mornings a week... giving yourself some time the other days to sleep in a bit so you don't feel sleep deprived... then after you are used to it... add the other days in.
  • PandaHerber
    PandaHerber Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I suggest to take a class right away to get the momentum going. If you pay for something, you're more likely to go. I was already getting up several days a week, but recently started a bootcamp at 6am MWF, so on those days, I'm at the gym by 5:35 doing my warm up jog before class.
    Otherwise I suggest a workout buddy. Having something/someone keep you accountable is really the best way to get you going!!

Good luck! You can do it!
  • nettie23
    nettie23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person either, I have my alarm set for 5:30 but I keep hitting the snooze button. I will take some your guys advice and attack the morning issue and make it a routine.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I love my 5am workouts. I have my alarm on the other side of the bedroom, so I have to get up to turn it off anyway. Then just jump into the workout. It is done before you know it, gives you loads more energy and the best part is that you don't have to spend your day worrying about when to fit it in, because it is already done :) Good luck!
  • shell6469
    shell6469 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 4:45 a.m. The gym is just down the block so, it only takes a couple minutes to get there.. Here is my strategy…. I put my workout/gym clothes on, right before I go to bed! When the alarm goes off, I get up and start the car. As the car is warming up, I through my hair up, brush my teeth, wipe the eyes, get my shoes on, fill the water bottle, grab my iPod, cell phone, wallet (in case I get pulled over), jacket etc. and drive to the gym- still somewhat groggy…. By the time I have finished my workout, I am wide-awake and feel good that I have gotten “Gym Time” out of the way… I am typically in the office from 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. I had a difficult time feeling up to going after work… Morning definitely works better for me.. Once you get into the routine, it really isn’t that bad & after a few weeks, you will get used to it.. Take care 
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    We need to set up a "morning buddies" to pair us up with a morning person who already gets up at our planned time.

They could call us and say "get your butt out of bed"
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Night owl here: my only advice would be to try to change your body's schedule. I had to force myself to get up at exactly the same time every morning(6:00a) for a few days before I was able to get to sleep at an appropriate time(10:30-11p) for when I was planning to wake up.

Hang in there.