Weighing In

Options

Replies

• LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You're not hurting anything by weighing yourself every day. Just don't beat yourself up if you have a slight gain once or twice a week. I think that's why it's suggested not to check every day.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, but I only record my weight on mfp once a week, always on the same day. Doesn't make sense to record it 14 times a week when you know it's probably inaccurate, you know?
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with weighing daily as long as you don't panic.
    I weigh daily and record here only on Mondays:)

I do the samething. Weighing every day, keeps me focused, and I know what is going on in my body. Right after I had my son, I went into congestive heart failure, the doctors told me to weigh myself, everyday, so if I had a huge gain, overnight, I knew I needed to go back to the hospital. I no longer have a heart problem, but I still pay attention to my weight on a daily bases.
  • Fubar_Bill
    Fubar_Bill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Really, I weigh myself 3 times a day everyday.

First thing in the morning

Right after I get home from the gym/work

Right before I go to bed

I like to know if my weight is going down between when I go to sleep and when I wake up. If the weight doesn't change, then I need to check and make sure I am not slowing down my metabolism by under-eating.

Knowledge is power, but you need to accept that there are a ton of reasons why weight fluctuates.

I only log my weight here when it goes down. Due to a couple of bad weekends I haven't logged in 2 weeks, but I keep going and keep track and don't let it prevent me from working towards my goals.

Food for thought: If you only weigh yourself once a week and that one day happens to be when your weight goes up, will you feel any better?
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I get on ky scale almost daily jyst so I can see how I am doing. I'm okay seeing the scale move up a little here and there. I recird my weight every Thursday.

I think as long as you are not freaking out or ketting the scale rule the way you feel go ahead jump on daily. There is NO law, you have to do what works for you!!
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I know you should really weigh in about once a week.
    However I am a scale-freak. Every morning the first thing I do is to weigh myself.
    What are some tips to get over that? It sounds silly...but I can't stop checking it everyday.

As long as you don't get depressed by the fluctuations, I don't see any reason not to weigh daily. I only log it once a week (occasionally twice, but usually only Monday mornings), but I weigh daily. It gives me a good idea of how water/sodium/other things affect my weight.

Surprisingly, even the amount of sleep that I get a night makes a difference, and I as a curious person like to know these things.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't freak out over the daily fluctuations, then you don't need to stop weighing every day.

I used to weigh every day and I found it really interesting to see how my body reacted to different things. Exercise, sodium, lack of sleep etc.

I haven't been weighing in every day but I'm thinking of starting so I can learn to understand my body and its natural fluctuations better. In addition with the diary if I am a pound heavier then I can go back and see if its from too much sodium or something else.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't freak out over the daily fluctuations, then you don't need to stop weighing every day.

I used to weigh every day and I found it really interesting to see how my body reacted to different things. Exercise, sodium, lack of sleep etc.

Exactly!!
  • Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options
    While I see nothing inherently wrong with weighing in every day, since you asked for tips on how to get over it:

Perhaps try putting your scale away? Out of sight, out of mind! Or ask someone in your family to hide the scale, and only give it to you on weigh-in day?
  • Meliklotz
    Meliklotz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    However I am a scale-freak. Every morning the first thing I do is to weigh myself.
    What are some tips to get over that? It sounds silly...but I can't stop checking it everyday.
    ^
    Nothing wrong with this as long as you put it into perspective....you will fluctuate naturally up and down. For more accuracy compare same days of the week...Friday vs. next Friday for a better picture of what is going on.
  • _John
    _John Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Its my view that this myth has grown up because organisations like weightwatchers want you to weigh yourself weekly at their sessions for commercial reasons. I think you should weight yourself every day but use a tool to 'iron out' the fluctuations.
    http://www.appbrain.com/app/libra-weight-manager/net.cachapa.libra

--
    John
  • miss_missa07
    Options

I agree 100%.

When I first started losing, I weighed myself every day. It didn't make me sad, and it didn't hinder my weight loss. It just made me aware of how what I was eating was effecting my body.

If you enjoy weighing yourself every day, then continue to do so! It won't impact your ability to lose the weight that you want. Just don't get discouraged if your weight goes up every now and then, since it's typical that weight can vary a few pounds daily. As long as you're continuing in an overall downward trend, than you're doing spiffy!
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    i do this too, i need to know how im doing before my official friday weigh in
  • Billywoo
    Billywoo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think were all just a little more addicted to the scale then we would like to admit lol. I mean... were all trying here. And we love seeing results.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, but I only log my weight once a week (Monday mornings). I know everyone says you shouldn't, but I like to. The number doesn't upset me when it fluctuates though, and I think that is part of the reason everyone says not to weigh yourself so often. Keeping that in mind I have seen some suggestions before . . . keep a glass of water next to your bed and take a drink before getting up. One girl said that helped her not weigh herself everyday.
  • MariaAlbina
    MariaAlbina Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I made my mom hide my scale. hahah
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Weighing in every day is only a problem if you let the daily fluctuations discourage you. I've found that, for me, I stress less about the scale number if I weigh every day and record it, because I can see that, while the number might go up or down a bit each day, the overall trend is down. I used to only weigh myself every few weeks, and, if my weight hadn't dropped significantly I'd think "Oh, this is pointless" and want to give up; now I know I might have just weighed on a day when my weight was at a high for the week.

So, as long as you don't find a one day upswing discouraging, go ahead and weigh every day.
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Really, I weigh myself 3 times a day everyday.

First thing in the morning

Right after I get home from the gym/work

Right before I go to bed

I like to know if my weight is going down between when I go to sleep and when I wake up. If the weight doesn't change, then I need to check and make sure I am not slowing down my metabolism by under-eating.

Knowledge is power, but you need to accept that there are a ton of reasons why weight fluctuates.

I only log my weight here when it goes down. Due to a couple of bad weekends I haven't logged in 2 weeks, but I keep going and keep track and don't let it prevent me from working towards my goals.

Food for thought: If you only weigh yourself once a week and that one day happens to be when your weight goes up, will you feel any better?
    This is so true...it is almost like I wrote it myself. I see weighing myself as a tool.....I know my weight fluctuates pretty consistently and I don't let that get to me...I just keep track of it all and use it as a tool for achieving my goal. You shouldn't be afraid of the scale, you shouldn't live and die because of the scale. It is a number. Use that number to help you learn your body.
  • Billywoo
    Billywoo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I made my mom hide my scale. hahah

YOU do not need to be looking at a scale!!!! lol
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I’m addicted to the scale! However, I can say I use it as motivation. I understand my body will vary, so I never get mad when I see a higher number. The difference is when I do see a higher number I just work hard and make sure I review my log to see what I was eating. For me, weighing everyday helps me catch a potential problem before it escalates.