Best protein powder?

Options

Replies

• IronSheff
    IronSheff Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I personally use Gold Standard Delicious Strawberry Whey Protein. I cannot speak on it being any better when it comes to calories/protein per serving versus other products, but It's usually one of the most popular sellers on discount supplement sites. I get a 2 lb tub for around $24 on netrition, but I recently picked up a 5lb tub since I go through it so quickly. I usually mix it with 4 oz skim milk and 4 oz water and absolutely love the taste. I also supplement with Optimum Nutrition Casein Protein - cookies n cream. There are obviously many different choices out there, so it might help to list the more popular brands as mentioned here or on websites that sell the products and then compare the nutritional breakdown.

I've also tried a version of Body Fortress and absolutely hated it. I forced myself to make two different shakes and ended up throwing the rest of the container away because noone else wanted it. I want to say it was either strawberry or vanilla. But, we all have different tastes......
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I personally use Gold Standard Delicious Strawberry Whey Protein. I cannot speak on it being any better when it comes to calories/protein per serving versus other products, but It's usually one of the most popular sellers on discount supplement sites. I get a 2 lb tub for around $24 on netrition, but I recently picked up a 5lb tub since I go through it so quickly. I usually mix it with 4 oz skim milk and 4 oz water and absolutely love the taste. I also supplement with Optimum Nutrition Casein Protein - cookies n cream. There are obviously many different choices out there, so it might help to list the more popular brands as mentioned here or on websites that sell the products and then compare the nutritional breakdown.

I've also tried a version of Body Fortress and absolutely hated it. I forced myself to make two different shakes and ended up throwing the rest of the container away because noone else wanted it. I want to say it was either strawberry of vanilla. But, we all have different tastes......

My thoughts exactly for me it all comes down to

1. Does it dissolve well
    2. Least amount of extra fillers
    3. Tastes great.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It doesnt matter how many grams. What matters is how much is absorbed.

So what peer reviewed studies do you have that back this up and what is the comparative absorption rate of Vi products with the other products mentioned? Not propaganda from drinking the Vi cool aid but real objective studies that substantiate what you've said.
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I swear by this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Basics-Protein-Unsweetened-Vanilla/dp/B002J0RG2O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1335473862&sr=8-4

It is unsweetened so depending on how you mix it you can sweeten it to however you like. I like to make it with sweetened almond/coconut milk, honey greek yogurt, and frozen fruit. Gives it just the right amount of sweetness!
    It is also completely plant based, no soy and no whey.
    22g of protein per scoop.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Which brands have the highest protein per serving? What flavors taste best? Are protein shakes worth it?
    I do strength training about 4x a week 20-30 minutes at a time.
    With what I'm eating now, I don't usually meet my protein needs without going over my calories/fat.
    NOT Body by vi, that's for sure. Since it's 1, not a protein powder, 2, not that high in protein.

http://www.davidmodderman.com/blog/index.php/weight-loss/body-by-vi-is-it-all-hype/

They also attacked my protein powder question with the same irrelevant response, and tried to friend me. They're just trying to sell products. Also from the guidelines:
    14. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising

a) You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which you or an associate might benefit financially or otherwise. You also may not solicit off-Forum contact from which you might benefit, e.g. "message me for more info", “I can get you free samples”, etc.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Now for all the Pro-Visalus folks, let's look at your claim that the Visalus Protein Shakes are "Healthy" , ingredient list from Visalus itself,

Protein Blend of (Soy Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, and Whey Protein Concentrate), Digestive Resistant Maltodextrin (Fibersol™), High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Natural and Artificial Flavor, MCT Oil, Maltodextrin, Gum Acacia, Xanthan, Sodium Caseinate, Lecithin, Aminogen™, Mono & Diglycerides, DiPotassium Phosphate, Sucralose

Now for a list of a good quality protein powder, my choice is GNC but there are plenty of other good ones

Whey Protein Isolate, Lecithin, Natural and Artificial Flavours, Sucralose

Notice any difference? If you like your "healthy" protein with tons of additives and half the protein than a good protein powder, then by all means Visalus if your choice.
    ^Exactly. I've been trying to decide on protein too. It seems like Optimum Nutrition is incredibly popular.
    U just won't let go! Geeze!

I am 54 years old, type II diabetic. Since using the Visalus Soy Protein Drink (AND DOESN"T SELL IT!!!!!!!) my blood sugars went from 170 down to the 90- 105 range. I've dropped weight and the best part is the "Healthy" status that I just got from my endocronologist yesterday. My A1C (3 month Bllod Sugar counts) went from 8.3 to 6.4!!! Perfect! If that isn't healthy I don't know what is!!!

Geeze!
    And he's younger and never had all these problems so maybe he's on to something?

Did it occur to you it wasn't the magic kool-aid, it was what you were eating before?

The guy who went on a twinkie diet and ate all twinkies also decreased his "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent. Are you suggesting everyone should switch to eating only twinkies?

Basically all I see is that you guys are advertising and drinking liquid twinkie.
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Which brands have the highest protein per serving? What flavors taste best? Are protein shakes worth it?
    I do strength training about 4x a week 20-30 minutes at a time.
    With what I'm eating now, I don't usually meet my protein needs without going over my calories/fat.

You asked a tough question however I think you have to find what works for you, high in protein can be good but it depends on what other things are in the product too. Go to a real health food store if you have one Max Muscle store if you have one in your area and if not call the number they can make suggestions or search the internet very good source... but it depends on flavor too, some products are chalky and some aren't. Good luck....I use

http://www.maxmusclestoreonline.com/maxpro_chocolate_2lbs/

or

http://www.paradiseherbs.com/products/orac-energy-protein-greens/

I like them both, and use them as meal replacements when I mix fruit in them.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian Michaels whey
    I have tired the vanilla and its ok but I really LOVE the chocolate and its only 10.00 at most all walmarts (its a smaller can than most other brands but I use it as a workout recovery snack once in awhile so its perfect for my needs). I also love that its only 100cals per scoop and not aweful on carbs.

I like to mix
    one scoop of chocolate , ice , cup of almond breeze , and tablespoon of jiff natural peanut butter ( stick in the M bullet for a few seconds and YUMMY )
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I get Kaizen vanilla ice cream whey isolate from costco. It has 35 grams of protein and 150 cals per 40g scoop. It tastes really good and mixes well.
  • mattjnsn
    mattjnsn Posts: 2
    Options
    AtLarge Nutrition "Nitrean+" protein powder. 110 calories, 23g protein and 1 g fat, and tastes as good as protein powder can taste
  • cp37
    cp37 Posts: 36
    Options
    Ryn,

This one will run and run, but for highest protein/lowest carb/easiest mix/decent taste I think you'll find Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard is the best. I like the double rich chocolate, mixed with 1/2 almond milk and water.

This is an Amazon link for what I get, but I'm not affiliated with either Amazon or OM, I just use 'em.

http://amzn.to/IkCbMO

There's a lot of total phooey out there, and some are very expensive indeed.

brendan

^^Agreed! The Vanilla Ice Cream isn't bad... it lends itself better to blending with other fruits to make a "power smoothie". The Double Rich Chocolate is amazinggg! I mix a FULL ROUNDED SCOOP (24g protein, I think) with 6-8oz of skim milk. It's so much better with milk than water!

Just don't get cookies&cream. It doesn't mix well at all

I also buy mine on Amazon. The 5lb container is a pretty good value. It's $52-$55 up-front, depending on flavor, I think. But both my boyfriend and I drink it on a daily basis and a 5lb container lasts us around 2-2.5 months.

The banana cream is another most amazing flavor of Optimum Nutrition. We mix it with PB2 and vanilla soymilk and it's so good!
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love Optimum Nutrition Whey...the Double Rich chocolate is my personal fav, followed by Strawberry Banana. Syntha-6 is also great...the strawberry milkshake (I think it was) was super delicious!!!
  • scano1
    scano1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, my boyfriend body builds and I've recently started using protein powder too. I personally like the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein. Here's the link.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html

nutrition info:

Protein 24g
    Calories 120
    Fat 1g
    Carbs 3g

I like the Vanilla Ice Cream one the best because i can do the shake or mix it with oatmeal and its delicious.
    the strawberry and the chocolate were good too.

I also buy them from supplement warehouse because its cheaper..
    Hope this helped! :)
  • Effy826
    Effy826 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like syntrax nectar, its low carb and as an isolate so easy to mix and the fuzzy navel (peach) is so good. The Caribbean cooler's predominate flavor is coconut but I tone it down with the fuzzy navel
    [/quote

Strawberry kiwi is really good!!
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!

But I usually do Muscle Milk Light - RTD. 100 Cals.

I recently tried regular MM Graham Cracker and it was YUMMMM! Curious about the topic. I want to taper off the soy, whey and dairy...so we'll see if anyone has any responses.
  • mary_kate23
    mary_kate23 Posts: 156
    Options
    i love ISOpure already made drinks... 160 cals, 40g protein, all kinds of diff flavors. you can buy by the case from amazon. they taste good, but leave a weird dryness in your mouth. not bad though, esp for 40 g protein!

i also use Body Fortress chocolate whey.. 140 cals, 26g protein. that tastes great to me with 8oz skim milk! i've also mized it with 1/2C fat free ice cream. tasty!
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    Sun Warrior vegan protein in chocolate or vanilla, sweetened with stevia. I've cut out whey because I was feeling congested (it can be an inflammatory). It's 80cals and 15g of protein per scoop!! Made with pea, cranberry and hemp protein! I'm absolutely in love with this product :)
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Complete Nutrition "SMART Smoothie" in Vanilla. I mix 8oz of Trop50 orange juice for 21 grams of protein to start my day!
  • CrazyFly7
    CrazyFly7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just recently got into protein shakes/powders but I absolutely LOVE Optimum nutrition, they make great stuff and have tons of flavors including fruity ones and your standard choc/vanilla. I have Mango and I love it! :)