SERIOUSLY, eat more! I did, and look what happened! (pics)

Options
emilyc92
emilyc92 Posts: 182 Member
I am living evidence that eating too little will destroy your body... and eating more will do wonders for it! My story has two parts to it, the unhealthy weight loss part, and then the healthfully getting in rockin' shape part. If you aren't eating enough and wondering why you aren't seeing results or even loosing the progress you initially made, read my story!

Ok so I've been using myfitnesspal religiously since last May. At first, I decided I wanted to lose weight as fast as possible, so I (stupidly) completely starved myself. I would aim to eat about 500 calories a day, and I would exercise for at least an hour and a half every day. Well, I did lose weight... a lot of weight, really fast.

The first picture is before starting my weight loss, I believe in March 2011 (but it's how I looked when I started cutting calories in May). The second picture is in July 2011 (about two months later)
CCcTJ.jpg

Great, I thought. I started eating about 800 calories a day (still WAY too low) once I was more happy with my weight. School started in August and I moved to a new campus. Meanwhile, my health was beginning to deteriorate. I had bruises all over my body. If someone so much as poked me, a bruise would appear within minutes. My body was not working the way it should at all, and I knew why. Nonetheless, I kept eating about 800 to 900 calories a day. With school picking up, I thought I no longer had time to exercise. I basically didn't move at all except to go to class because I was to tired and weak. I would decide to increase calories, so I'd eat about 1000 a day for a few weeks, but inevitably I'd feel so bad about myself for eating "that much" and cut back to 800-900 again.

Well, I don't even understand how this is possible, but even eating 900 calories a day, the weight started coming back on. I guess I had completely killed my metabolism and m body was grasping onto the little food I put in it for dear life. Then in February, I decided to get off my butt and get to the gym. I was disgusted with myself and new I needed to change. I started going to the gym 6 days a week for an hour each time. I did step aerobics classes and strength training classes, both of which I loved. With all that exercise, I knew I should be seeing results, but I wasn't. My body looked the same, and I felt weaker and weaker rather than stronger. So I finally listened to the voice inside me saying "Well duh, you're starving your body! Be healthy!"

I started aiming for about 1400 calories a day. Immediately, I noticed that I could lift more at the gym and had more endurance throughout my workouts. I started CrossFit in the beginning of April. Some people don't like it because people get pretty competitive, but I love it! After long workouts, I would notice that I was still hungry after the 1400 calories, so I listened to my body and ate more! I started eating about 1600-1700 on hard workout days. My scale broke a while back, so I have no idea how much weight I've lost since cleaning up my act, but look at these pictures for yourself. The results speak for themself :)

The first picture is from February 2012, when I had been eating about 900 calories a day or less for about 9 months (and I clearly GAINED weight since the previous picture from July 2011). The second picture is from a few days ago (April 2012) after about 3 months of serious work in the gym and 1400-1700 calories a day
e5DpQ.jpg

I know it seems counter intuitive, but it's true. You cannot achieve maintainable weight loss by starving yourself! Eat more, lift those weights, and get results!

Replies

• Love4MN
    Love4MN Posts: 60
    Options
    looking good keep it up!
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I just raised my intake a week ago and need encouragement. I probably need broken scale, too! Great job, even better message.
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    You were never fat, in fact your weight in the beg. looked great! but you look toned and healthy, and still i see the difference. i am happy that you decided to eat more, it is a good story and lesson to others on how they should properly lose weight. great job on your rockin body!
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    beautiful!!! proud of you :)
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    great job! glad you finally figured it out...eating more and healthier is the way to go.
  • courtney131
    Options
    You look great! Thank you for sharing your story :)
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! It worked for me, too. I just upped mine from 1500 to 1700 and have lost 5 more.
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Wow well done xx
  • pandasmama3
    pandasmama3 Posts: 120
    Options
    Great job!! Love your story and you do look way better then the first time you lost the weight by "starving"
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You look awesome. Thanks for posting.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Great job! I upped my calories about a month and a half ago to 1450 and lost several pounds after being stalled for months; but now I am actually gaining weight :( I hope if I stick with this it works in the long run!
  • Sweetncgal78
    Sweetncgal78 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great information.. thank you for sharing!
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If that is not a classic example, I've never seen one! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

I have a significant amount more weight than you to lose, but I have always had a sustainable loss on 1800-2100 calories at the suggestion of most weight loss sites. It is incredible the number of people telling me I will loose "better" if I cut down to 1200 calories. Sorry, I know what is best for my body, and I know what has worked in the past.

It's just common sense - you put a tank of gas (minimum calorie requirement for daily living) in the car to go X miles in X period of time - if you drive farther in the same time, you have to put more gas in, even if it SHOULD ONLY require a tank for X period.
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Great story and awesome progress pics. Good job
  • beccah88
    beccah88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You look amazing :) Well done. I have a similar experience as you, I used to think to lose weight I'd have to cut right back on calories and while it did work, it wasn't maintainable and as soon as I'd eat more 'normally' the weight would just come back.

I've been working out with weights and eating more calories and I'm starting to see similar results to yours, but not as good yet :P
  • jslB
    jslB Posts: 7
    Options
    Amazing! Great story, thanks for sharing... some people really don't understand it, but so very true! you look FAB!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome testimony that our bodies actually do need food to survive and thrive. You look amazing!!! Great story about fueling your body propery!!!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    thank you for your post, sometimes I have to force myself to eat and not freakout when I hit 1200 calories in the day. You look awesome, you've done a amazing job. You're truly a inspiration.
  • sweetmspea
    Options
    Good job.
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    bump to read later...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!