LADIES ONLY*** IUD input to switch or not to switch

Options

Replies

• Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    CHECK OUT IMPLANON
    Had I known of this option I would have definitely gone for this^^^^

I have the mirena, it's only been about 2months.

I havent had any children and supposedly if you have had the procedure is a little pinch/pressure....since I havent had any kids I was literally crying and out for 3 days on bed rest. (walking around helped huge...sitting was a huge no no)

I have had slight bleeding on what should be my regular period...panty liners worth.

No increase in appetite
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    CHECK OUT IMPLANON
    Had I known of this option I would have definitely gone for this^^^^

I have the mirena, it's only been about 2months.

I havent had any children and supposedly if you have had the procedure is a little pinch/pressure....since I havent had any kids I was literally crying and out for 3 days on bed rest. (walking around helped huge...sitting was a huge no no)

I have had slight bleeding on what should be my regular period...panty liners worth.

No increase in appetite

To those who haven't had kids and want them in the future, this is totally a great option. But for those of us that are done (I think :)), an IUD is better if your body handles it well. No hormones or localized hormones? Way better option for most. Also, depending on insurance, I paid like 75 bucks and that is IT (insurance doesn't cover getting it removed so I guess that's a gamble).

And again, I birthed 2 9+ lb babies, and even after THOSE came out of my hoo ha, I wasn't crying or debilitated for 3 days. Wonder if your doctor got a little carried away or something?
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have a mirena now and I love it. For me a copper IUD means you could potentially get one of your eggs fertilized every month, and the fertilized egg just can't implant. In my mind I don't want to be basically having a mini abortion every month.
    This is my main concern with ParaGard. I'm just not sure how I feel about it. I'm so torn!!! They're both equally effective, last a long time, and can be taken out at any time. Mirena has hormones with potentially really unpleasant side effects (the one I'm most concerned about is mood swings). ParaGard is hormone-free with potentially really unpleasant side efffects (heavy, longer, more painful periods). Mirena has hormones that affect your cycle, which can be seen as both a pro and a con. ParaGard is hormone-free that allows you to continue to have a regular period (I personally like Mother Nature's way better, "Don't fix what ain't broke."). Mirena prevents pregnancy by totally preventing fertilization. ParaGard prevents pregnancy by not allowing a fertilized egg, if that were to happen, to implant (that kinda seems like a mini-abortion to me as well). I thought I'd made my mind up to go with ParaGard...now I'm back to not knowing what to do....sigh...:ohwell:

I researched the alleged abortifacient effects of Paraguard. Studies have been done and there is no conclusive evidence that egg and sperm are able to meet with the Paraguard in place. Yes, it *can* happen, in theory, but it is extremely rare. You're far more likely to fertilize an egg and then abort it while on hormonal BCPs.

When IUDs are used in the "morning after pill" fashion (inserted after coitus), then yes, it will definitely abort any fertilized egg if one existed. They are extremely effective for that purpose. BUT... the IUD does not work that way when it is already in place.
  • melonielong
    Options
    I have had Mirena for almost 3 years now. I have not had a single period since I stopped bleeding from having it put in (6 weeks after my daughter was born). I love it. I am just now trying to lose the rest of this baby weight so I can't say that it made me gain weight because I was bigger than this when I had it put in. I love my IUD and will have another one put in as soon as this one comes out. :-) I love the fact that I don't have a period at all. I never have to worry about wearing white or carrying tampons anymore. I know everyone is different though. My older sister's body rejected her Mirena but my younger sister is like me and period free for 3 years almost. I guess it is just personal preference.
  • julie9200
    julie9200 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

arent you supposed to switch it out every 5 years? thats what their brochure they sent me said

You're correct. I'm actually on my second one, had it replaced last year.
  • jules1202
    jules1202 Posts: 65
    Options
    Just so you know, it HURT to get it put in. It hurt a LOT. I have a very high pain tolerance, but I was incapacitated for three days.

Thanks for that info b/c I can't afford to be out of commision for three days and I myself have a high tolerence for pain too!

OP, if you have had kids this shouldn't be an issue for you and as for insertion pain its the same whether its paraguard or mirena.

After I got my mirena taken out (6 months of spotting and I was sick of it) I used Fertility Awareness Method (FAM) along with spermicide film and condoms. Loved it because for the first time I was actually in control and aware of what was going on in my body and it was amazing to be hormone free!

A book I recommend for every woman is Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler, MPH. Turned out to be a huge blessing for me beyond the benefit of actually knowing what is going on when I started having female issues ot was it was so much easier to diagnose since I could identify when things where happening and such.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena and I've had an issue with weight, as well. Since I have very heavy, long periods without a hormonal BC, the copper isn't an option for me. But I have friends who have used it and loved it. Do you normally have heavy periods without BC?
  • Diandra81
    Diandra81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I had the non-hormonal IUD and it was AWFUL. I suffered from bad cramps and they became so unbearable I literally wanted to just rip my uterus out. My flow which was very heavy at the time became a RIVER. Also, my period would last DOUBLE the amount of time as usual.....needless to say it was removed.
  • m0dizzle
    m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was on the fence about going with the copper but after reading some of the horrors stories on the front page I think I'll stick with my depo shot!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I got the Paragard in September and haven't had any problems at all. I was already trying to lose weight and continued being successfull and actually reached my goal earlier this month.
    It does make your cramps a little bit worse, but nothing I couldn't remedy by taking pain reliever. I get almost 0 cramps at all now.
    My periods are a couple of days longer and a little bit heavier but I've noticed that is starting to taper off. It might take your body awhile to adjust each month before you're normal again.
    Best part is, I have none of the hormones that made me cray cray like with hormonal birth control :laugh:
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It depends what your experiences with other birth control has been. I literally was a different person on any hormonal birth control, and I gained 45 lbs while I was on the pill. (I tried 3 different kinds).
    So yes, the paraguard hurt to put in (for like 1 day) and my cramps are really bad, but they are getting better the longer I have had it. All in all, having terrible periods means having like 2-3 really bad days a month which is something I can handle alot better than when I was on the pill and I felt bad ALL the time.

AND if you didnt have a problem with cramps before you are less likely to experience that side effect.

I totally think you should do it, you are protected for so long!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I had the paraguard for about 2 years after my son and before I got a tubal.

I liked it but the cramps and heavy periods were a major adjustment for me. I am a normally light TOM person when I am not on the BC. I had little cramps and light flow but it was a whole new world with the Paraguard. This may be TMI but I had to get Sam's club boxes of tampons.

Honestly, it worked for what I wanted at the time. My husband and I weren't sure if we wanted any more kiddos and I didn't want to be on the pill anymore or risk unplanned babies.

I can't compare it to the Mirena because I didn't have one of those but from what I heard the cramps should be about the same but the flow may be heavier. Go luck!!!!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i currently have Mirena, its been about 3 years for me. I also have pretty much no periods. (occasionally light spotting, one day every couple of months at most). No periods is important to me, as i get horrible,horrible headaches when its my TOM. I did gain weight after i got it, but not right away as i was still losing and was post partum. I think my weight gain was more to do with my lifestyle choices than the hormone, but i was also on the pill for 10 years before i got pregnant with my son, so i am not certain.

Yes, hormones in both control can make you gain a little weight, but i dont think there is enough hormones in Mirena to keep the weight on or anything like that, if you are eating well and staying active. If you have had no other problems with your Mirena, you may want to just get another Mirena. When i hit my 5 year i will likely either get another one or get my tubes tied. The only other negative thing with my mirena was that my "strings" were initially too long and would actually poke/pinch my husband. (TMI, sorry!) After about 6 months though i went in and they shortened them, no problems since. My sister in law actually expelled her Mirena, in that it "fell out" because her body rejected it and pushed it out, which can happen with any IUD.

Good luck with your decision!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I had the paraguard for 5 years and it was awful. I had terrible bleeding and some cramping. I switched to the Mirena and I'm now on my second one. I like the Mirena so much better. I do still have periods but they are very light. No cramping or PMS and no migraines like I got with birth control.

My weight has always been an issue so it wasn't the Mirena that made me gain. I've lost about 30 pounds in the last two years so it hasn't stopped me from losing.

I've had 3 IUDs inserted and they have not been that painful. I continued on my day as usually which included working out.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yes, hormones in both control can make you gain a little weight, but i dont think there is enough hormones in Mirena to keep the weight on or anything like that, if you are eating well and staying active.

Look at my diary and tell me another reason I'm not losing because I started having weight issues the MONTH after I got my Mirena and have gained 20 pounds since.

The Mirena website even states this can be a problem for some women. It's the exact same hormone in Mirena as in the Depo shot.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I work in a reproductive healthcare clinic and all I do all day is educate others on their birth control options. My in house OB/GYN made it very clear to me that because the Mirena's hormones are localized and released slowly over an extended period of time it generally is NOT the cause of weight gain. (I only know this because I have one and was looking for something to blame my weight gain on) The Paragard does in fact INCREASE the flow on what your periods used to be prior to the Mirena. It also is common for cramping to increase with the Paragard. Every woman is different so all experiences are anectodal not gospel unfortunately. Only you and your Dr know your medical history, so it is definitely something to discuss in great detail with your Reproductive Healthcare Provider. Good Luck to you.

Thanks for your input. I definately would like to blame something for my weight gain. I doubt this would be my magic fix it. I would still have to put in the hard work to get it off, maybe it would just be easier w/out hormones. But I will say this heavy cycle and cramping may not be the best choice for me. But I love hearing the input!

there are studies that show that hormonal birth control does not impact weight gain. OBGYNs will often tell you that point blank. From experience, Millions of women know that is not true. If there are new hormones in your body at levels your body did not create then there is a chance your body will change. Im obviously not a natural scientist, but it seems pretty clear to me.
  • Mira710
    Mira710 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am on Mirena. I love it. I rarely get a period (when I do it lasts a day and I have no cramps) and I have not had any trouble losing weight.. A friend of mine has the copper IUD and she says that her periods are heavier and more painful. But I think everyone is different.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Just so you know, it HURT to get it put in. It hurt a LOT. I have a very high pain tolerance, but I was incapacitated for three days.

Yes, I forgot to mention this. It was the worst pain of my life having it inserted. I actually said "****" in front of the doctor and her PA LOL. I cramped the rest of the afternoon but was able to go back to work the next day. I didn't feel 100% awesome but not bad enough to stay home.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I have used a copper IUD for about 15 years so far (not the same one!) . And far from having heavy bleeding, it's actually reduced my monthly blood loss and cramping, I had been VERY heavy before and had severe cramping to the point where I would faint. SInce having it fitted my periods have been 'normal' and cramping minimal.
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    I've had a Paragard in for a year now and it hasn't messed with my cycle duration at all. It did hurt during placement but it wasn't too too bad; I did take a double dose of ibuprophen an hour before.

My periods themselves are inconsistent with their flow, which is usual for me and not the fault of the Paragard. However I did notice a HUGE increase in clotting after having the Paragard placed.

I'm actually having the Paragard removed soon and having a tubal ligation instead because the Paragard causes me a lot of DEBILITATING pain. Usually around the time of ovulation I will get pain out of no where, fall to my knees and brace myself type pain.. it comes and goes for a couple days. Then in the week leading up to my period I get debilitating cramps to the point where I have to lay down flat, not move, and cry. The only thing to make the pain subside is a double dose of ibuprophen AND a strong perscription opiate pain killer. I literally am not able to function for close to a week and the pain is comparable to labor cramping.. non.. stop... labor.. pain.. UGH!

Everyone is different though! That's just my experience :)