I have just quit WW online...

Options
So am pinning my hopes on MFP!

I can't be bothered with Points anymore and calories are so much easier.

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Hi

good luck with mfp - I have found it so easy to use and made quite a few friends on here. If you would like to add me please do.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I believe counting calories rather than points is a more effective way of losing weight and keeping it off. If someone thinks in "points" they may not realise how many calories their food actually has. Good luck!
  • Rmdbcd1973
    Rmdbcd1973 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i just started this yesterday i love it;
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I must admit counting calories seemed daunting to start with but its so much easier that anything i have ever done before (esp if you have a 'posh' phone with the scanning app on it)

Add me as a friend if you want support xx

Diane
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome - just sent you a friend request... Can never have enough support...

Digital scales have been an essential for me :wink:
  • NoSharpei
    NoSharpei Posts: 73
    Options
    Welcome Wimbledongal! I hope MFP works well for you... as it has for so many of us!! I have done WW, but I agree with you, calories are easier - and MFP goes with you literally everywhere!! I have the app on my PC, my Blackberry AND my Ipad. No excuses for not tracking :laugh: :laugh:
  • ElizmaKnowles
    Options
    I LOVE MFP, even have hubby on it now :-) Joined in January but did not really take it serious until about midway through March and since then it has helped me shed 11lbs! And educated me on how to make better food choices.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I like to think of moving from WW to MFP as "graduating." WW does equip you with the basic skills to do it on your own; they just dress it up with effective marketing and Jennifer Hudson.

Let me just put on my flame suit before I point out that the Weight Watchers' "Points" system -is- basically counting calories plus macronutrients. It's been years since I was on WW, but IIRC the formula for calculating points takes into account something like calories, carbs, fat, and fiber, right? It just distills all of those things into one (low) number, which is why it's effective for so many people - it simplifies things immensely while teaching you how to balance a food budget the same way you would a financial budget, which is the key here.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Calories are universal and in the real world as opposed to the weight watchers world, so when you reach your target you can carry on logging and stay fit and healthy. MFP has a great community spirit - if you'd like to add me as a friend feel free :flowerforyou:
  • Wimbledongal
    Wimbledongal Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments. I'm just going to find this so much easier than wandering around the supermarket with my calculator!

1 quick question - is it a problem if I go over my protein allowance - I'd think not as I'm exercising but please could someone confirm? Thanks
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I usually go over protein. I have no problems. I have been maintaining my weight since January. My Mom is a Weight Watcher addict and has been since the 70's. She still battles with it. Welcome and good luck!
  • SpankyBuns
    SpankyBuns Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    :happy: When I started here I was going to use the point system from W.W. but it is so much easier to count calories, get inspiration from the folks here to get off my butt and exercise.....love MFP......Godd luck and feel free to add me
  • zpcardet
    zpcardet Posts: 3
    Options
    MFP wins over WW for an obvious reason -- IT'S FREE! I also think it has better tools and features. So I think you will be very happy and successful with the change.
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I agree. I tried WW and SlimmingWorld for years. Calories is so much easier. It's still hard work, but it's worth it! Feel free to add me!

Debbie
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    So am pinning my hopes on MFP!

I can't be bothered with Points anymore and calories are so much easier.

The "points" system always struck me as bizarre. As easy as it is to get calorie information, why needlessly complicate it using a non-standard measure?
  • Mrs_Moe
    Mrs_Moe Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like to think of moving from WW to MFP as "graduating." WW does equip you with the basic skills to do it on your own; they just dress it up with effective marketing and Jennifer Hudson.

Let me just put on my flame suit before I point out that the Weight Watchers' "Points" system -is- basically counting calories plus macronutrients. It's been years since I was on WW, but IIRC the formula for calculating points takes into account something like calories, carbs, fat, and fiber, right? It just distills all of those things into one (low) number, which is why it's effective for so many people - it simplifies things immensely while teaching you how to balance a food budget the same way you would a financial budget, which is the key here.

Yes, this^^ !!!
    I did the same thing. lost 40+ lbs with WW now onto MFP and I love it!
  • amneff51
    amneff51 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have only been on MFP a week and have noticed I eat WAY too much protein for someone who is not exercising daily. Eating too much protein can cause upset stomach and can actually attribute to weight gain. After all, people use protein to bulk up, so if that's not your goal, try and cut back. I have noticed that I generally NEVER eat all my calories, but my protein allotment was gone by midday or afternoon. Now I eat less much protein and have dropped 3lbs this week. Try eating less of it, and see if you notice a difference...
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    MFP wins over WW for an obvious reason -- IT'S FREE! I also think it has better tools and features. So I think you will be very happy and successful with the change.

And the MFP app works. Couldn't get the Weight Watchers app to work on my Droid.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    hello and welcome! I discovered mfp in aug 10 by error, i downloaded the app onto my phone and promptly forgot about it. I was about to sign up to WW online when one of my friends told me about mfp. So i didnt sign up to WW and logged on here instead and have never looked back! plus its free and i dont need to pay someone to weigh me!

Mfp has been great, ive learnt loads throughout the past 15 months. Mfp taught me to eat better and to exercise. Ive also become a runner because of it. The key is to use the forums and add as many friends as you can! every little helps and it keeps you motivated!
  • Dragonfly7701
    Options
    Welocme. I did the same :)