Really stupid question

Options

Replies

• Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My toes always go to sleep when I get on that thing! I run on the treadmill instead... :-)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Keep trying it's not easy at 1st but once you figure it out you will be able to stand taller and push with yours heels and roll forward slightly to your toes..it takes awhile but it's worth it because every muscle in you legs and mid section are on fire and it gets your arms a good workout too!!

This. I love the elliptical, and if you do it right its very low impact on your joints! X
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    if your gym has different types, try those. I like the Cybex Arctrainer (with front mechanism) but not the regular ellipticals.

It has 2 of the same ones *sigh*
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yep, knees bent and toes go numb:grumble:
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    I believe it's suppose to feel like it's easier for you to do than a treadmill. I don't which one would burn more calories, but it's suppose to help your joints so you're not putting so much impact of them. I use to be a swimmer and my knees hurt very bad when I run so I use that so it doesn't hurt me. I think it's something you have to get use to.
  • gamehen2
    gamehen2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I first starting using the elliptical, my feet would fall asleep! I'm better now though. I find that increased resistance helps overcome some of the awkwardness. Enough to smooth out the gait but not so much that it kills me.
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    Try the arc trainer instead. . .It is similar to the eliptical in that it is low impact but has more of a running motion. It tracks your distance and speed and you can add resistance.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Actually my favorite is the cybex machine that looks like an elliptical with no arms.... the higher the incline the wider your steps, and then the higher the intensity the harder it is.
  • stewartcarden
    Options
    i always got told only to use it if you're too sore from running the day before :P
  • tinastanley
    tinastanley Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    love the ellptical!! Takes a little time to get used to.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    First of all, no question is ever stupid!!!! Stupid people never ask and never learn! :)

I tried an eliptical and I hated it too. I found out later that they are adjustable to your height so maybe that was why it was so hard for you? I don't know, I never tried it again because I hated it so much. lol I'm glad I never bought one because it would be collecting dust.
    Keep trying different things until you find something you're comfortable with and you enjoy.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    First of all, no question is ever stupid!!!! Stupid people never ask and never learn! :)

I tried an eliptical and I hated it too. I found out later that they are adjustable to your height so maybe that was why it was so hard for you? I don't know, I never tried it again because I hated it so much. lol I'm glad I never bought one because it would be collecting dust.
    Keep trying different things until you find something you're comfortable with and you enjoy.

lol I feel like a complete moron at the gym anyways, I'm always inspecting and reading how to do the stupid workouts lol. If there is a way to adjust it I might try that, I felt like it for for a really short person. My legs are SUPER long.
  • pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    Ask the gym attendants to help you figure out how to use it correctly. It's their job, right?
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It's awkward, admitted. The elliptical used to be my arch nemesis.... now we're old friends. :) I used to get on it, and last about 25 seconds before my knees hurt. Then I'd watch people a lot heavier than me, doing it for an hour, so I was determined to prove to myself I could do it too. The first time I really pushed, I could go for about 5 minutes. Then up to 10 and 15... I did it once for 45 minutes too. It takes getting used to, but it's the one thing that REALLY gets my heart rate up without the impact of running.
  • Bizeebec150
    Options
    When I am on the elyptical I don't use the "arm" handles instead I either shadow box or twist to get a waist workout at the same time
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    Ask the gym attendants to help you figure out how to use it correctly. It's their job, right?

It's an apartment gym
  • LynnSkaggs76
    Options
    Great question, I have an elliptical, been working out on it the past 2 wks. When I would go to the gym that's all id work out on and would lose inches quicker, push with heels, with knees slightly bent, and try not to bounce around, when doing it at first start out slow focus on legs pushing forward, once you get yourself stedy then pick up speed, I love the elliptical less impact on my feet, and I burn more calories, and get to work my whole body and build my booty
  • msmindylee
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE the elliptical! But then, I'm also pretty heavy right now so it's much easier on my joints than running (which I want to get back to eventually). My trainer and also the owner of my gym have counseled me to find a pace I can stick to and then do intensity intervals - two minutes at a light to moderate resistance, two minutes at a higher resistance, and keep switching back and forth. At the end of about 30-40 minutes I am dripping! But my muscles feel great and I even get a little "runner's high" sometimes.

Killer tunes on the iPod help too. LOL
  • bethmcdonald4
    Options
    I use the tony little gazelle elliptical every day, for part of the work out i bend my knees to work my thighs and glutes and the other part of the 45 minutes I straighten my legs out so I am almost in a run and I work the rest of my body.
  • msmindylee
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot to mention - if you're bouncing at all, then you need to increase the resistance. In that way, it's like riding a bike, if you're bouncing on the bike seat, it means you're in too low of a gear and need to shift up...