Got told that I can't exercise in my apartment anymore...

Options

Replies

• garyobesedeleted
    garyobesedeleted Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    it sounds like your being reasonable and they are being completely unreasonable, theyre not compromising with you, so just carry on exercising and make loads more noise just to annoy them lolz
  • mandelea
    mandelea Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm in agreement with most of the statements. Having just recently moved from an apartment (2nd floor of a 3-story building) to a house, and having dealt with "Roomba Hour" upstairs (the hour every day they ran their Roomba vacuum), we were not very put out by the noise as it was a reasonable time during the day. I agree that you should advise them that while you appreciate their feedback, and you will certainly take it into consideration, you respectfully request they notify the office directly of any further noise violations so as to be handled directly in alignment with your lease agreements. :)

If you REALLY want to be amiable, and the living spaces are identical, swap apartments!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. When you live in an apartment, noise is part of life. The way she handled it was ridiculous, you can't tell others what they can and cannot do in their own homes! Remain polite (and I know it can get really tough with idiots) and let her/the landlord know that you will continue working out but that you're willing to do it at a time that's convenient for you both. You can't be more neighborly than that!
    Good luck! some neighbors suck...
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Doesn't your school have a gym you can use?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask them if there is a better time that would work for them. I know it's your schedule too but maybe there is a way to both get what you want.

maybe ask when they're at work? and if possible work out then instead. you both pay rent, you should both be able to do what you want.
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Options
    Go knock on their door while they are having sex and tell them you don't want them doing that while you are home!!! See how that sh)(*&t feels!! Bump them, at 3:00 in the eve. tell them to GTFOH!!!! call me up I'll help you evict them.
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You could try transferring apartments or exercise when they go to work or step out
  • Vixen0113
    Vixen0113 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    They should of asked for an apartment on the top floor so they wouldn't hear the normal walking around from the person above..not your fault..not your problem..keep working out, if they don't like it they can move.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Next time have loud, angry sex. If they don't complain about it, complain to them about why they aren't complaining.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    In our old apartment complex, we lived on the bottom floor and our neighbor upstairs barely weighed 100lb and her daughter was 8 and maybe 60lb. They sounded like elephants!!! I would definitely talk to the office because you have the right to do your workout in your unit, except during the quiet time.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Is there a time every day (or nearly every day) that they'll be out of their apartment? Maybe you could work with them to arrange times that you could workout without disturbing them? But seriously, if that doesn't pan out, then I say just continue your workouts. If you're working out at 3:00 in the afternoon, it's not like you're disturbing their sleep (unless they work nights). Plus, I'm sure you're probably not working out more than an hour, so I'd say they're going to have to deal if they won't work with you to reach an amicable agreement.
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    You could always purchase a hovercraft and exercise on that.

I honestly don't think that you should stop Insanity - if she talks to you again about it you can let her know that maintenance is going to sort things out. The fact that you've done something about it should calm her down - but until then, just keep on going! 30 minutes of overhead noise a day will almost certainly not kill her.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    There must be 'quiet hours' in your lease. I would talk to your landlord and see what can be worked out. I know you don't want to be at war with your neighbor but she has no right to tell you how you can enjoy your living space.

Our quiet hours are 8pm-8am, with security getting here at 5pm to start patrolling. I've never worked out later than today, which I started at 2:45pm and would have finished around 3:35ish :/

My apartment complex has a "gym", which is effectively two treadmills (one broken), two bikes (one also broken), and a few TVs.

Then you're well within your rights to be working out at that time. Talk to your landlord but don't stop your workout. This woman sounds completely unreasonable.

This! I also agree you might talk to your landlord. It'll sound better coming from you. That way they can have your back if she does complain.
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Does your school have a gym?
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! My husband works long term projects away from home so he does the corporate apartment thing a lot. Last 2nd story one he was in, the people below him complained about the littlest noise - even vacumming at 10 AM on a Saturday! Their excuse was they had a newborn and it was making too much noise. 3 PM is prime naptime for toddlers - do they have little kids?

As far as solutions, I don't have much. It doesn't sound like the lady is willing to put up with your workout. You could invite her to join you in working out. I don't know if I'd go to the apt mgmt over one request to be quiet. If it's continous request from them, then you might want to so they have something on file before the neighbors complained.

Do any of the gyms in your area offer a student discount? I know a lot of apts have fitness centers - would yours have one with a dvd player for you to use?

The irony is that people that expect it to be perfectly silent when their newborn sleeps usually end up with kids that are horrible sleepers. (hello, the womb is a loud *kitten* place to hang out! LOL) My kids always went to sleep when I vacuumed!
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have neighbors below me, and I workout everyday on my treadmill in my bedroom. I just put a thick rug under it and I've had no complaints. Unless your landlord has said something to you about it, I don't see a problem. Talk to your landlord before your neighbor does, and explain the situation. She can't stop you from working out or walking around your house.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! My husband works long term projects away from home so he does the corporate apartment thing a lot. Last 2nd story one he was in, the people below him complained about the littlest noise - even vacumming at 10 AM on a Saturday! Their excuse was they had a newborn and it was making too much noise. 3 PM is prime naptime for toddlers - do they have little kids?

As far as solutions, I don't have much. It doesn't sound like the lady is willing to put up with your workout. You could invite her to join you in working out. I don't know if I'd go to the apt mgmt over one request to be quiet. If it's continous request from them, then you might want to so they have something on file before the neighbors complained.

Do any of the gyms in your area offer a student discount? I know a lot of apts have fitness centers - would yours have one with a dvd player for you to use?

The irony is that people that expect it to be perfectly silent when their newborn sleeps usually end up with kids that are horrible sleepers. (hello, the womb is a loud *kitten* place to hang out! LOL) My kids always went to sleep when I vacuumed!

same here, i was never one for 'shhh the baby's sleeping'. if she can sleep thru my heart beat and talking and stomach digesting she can sleep thru anything, and she still does!
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    You know, that is just part of living in a bottom floor apartment. You can not be expected to tip toe around your own home. I would talk to the landlord about the neighbors complaint and tell them exactly what the noise is and that you will not be changing your routine. No one will be telling me what I can and can not do in my own home.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I currently live in a second story apartment (note, this is the fifth apartment complex that I've lived in where I have had people below me ... zero complaints until now). I was in the middle of doing my workout when the people who just moved in downstairs told me that they don't want me working out in my apartment because it's too loud. I was doing this at 3:00 in the afternoon by the way.

Anyway, I have 12 months left on my lease and I don't want to be in a war with them for another year, so I feel obligated to stop... but now I don't know what to do! I'm a pretty broke full-time student, so I can't afford a gym membership. I'm two weeks into Insanity and feel like I have to quit, which makes me pretty bummed. I know that I can still do free weights, but that honestly feels like it. Do you guys have any advice on how to deal with this? I live in Florida and it's about to be summer time, so running outside is pretty much not an option.

They cant tell you that you cant do it. I would just ask them what time would be better. And if that doesnt work out transfer to a downstairs apt. Just because you have a lease doesnt mean you have to stay in that unit. Or they can move to a different unit. I would go to the office to address the issue.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am the type of person who likes to "poke the bear" so to say. I would continue my workout....in cowboy boots or maybe tap shoes!
This discussion has been closed.