Got told that I can't exercise in my apartment anymore...

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Anyway! I spoke with the office and they told me to put in a service request to have all of my floorboards replaced to see if that helps. Hope this woman doesn't mind three days of hammering because that is about what it is going to take. They are going to have to move all of my furniture and whatnot to replace my floors. I'm so thrilled >:(

Bwahahaha! This is awesome.

I live on a busy intersection across from a quickie-mart. I *wish* the most noise I had to deal with was an upstairs neighbor who exercises. Even in a single family home, I can hear when my neighbors are hammering or using power tools, not to mention the constant traffic noises from outside, ambulances, thumping car stereos, barking dogs, etc.
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    My apartment complex as a whole isn't very quiet. We are a block away from my university, so there are a lot of students here. My building has 6 units in it. I have a town home to my left that is a neighbor to both myself and the woman below me. It's full of college students and a dog who are quiet loud. To my right is a couple with a dog that barks all day. Under them is a couple that plays music at odd hours of the night. To the right of them are four frat boys that party... In all honesty, I think I'm the most quiet!

We have a racquetball court here so I might see if I can find a time when its empty and do Insanity in there. If not, I contacted a couple of gyms to see what their rates are. Most of them said that it was upwards of $30 a month... which I'd have to factor out of my monthly grocery bills to be able to afford, but I guess I can if necessary.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Im interested to see how this turns out. Lol. Please keep updating!!
  • JohnRalfeo
    JohnRalfeo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You know, that is just part of living in a bottom floor apartment. You can not be expected to tip toe around your own home. I would talk to the landlord about the neighbors complaint and tell them exactly what the noise is and that you will not be changing your routine. No one will be telling me what I can and can not do in my own home.

So true!!!! Get a big wheel or rollerskates and go to town on them! It's not like you're partying at 3am in the morning. Workout and look awesome as you walk downstairs to them glaring at you.
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    definitely keep us updated!
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You can also move your workout area to another room of your apartment not directly above where that person would be at 3 pm. Also, if you locate a place of your floor that is on top of a large beam used to give structure to the building, or sometimes nearer to the walls, that would be less squeaky and more stable.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Depending on your city by-laws you can or can't get away with it. Where I currently live, any noise that can be heard in the hallway or by an adjoining neighbor, at any time of day, is too loud. Other places have specific times etc.
    If she pesters you about it, you can complain about harassment etc. you could offer to exercise in a different room, at a specific time, or to turn the volume down.
    If you're in good standing with your landlord, they may let you out of the lease, if the situation becomes untenable for you or your neighbor...
  • FitBarbie2986
    FitBarbie2986 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Talk to your landlord you are allowed reasonable enjoyment of your living quarters and it was 3pm, not 3am.

your neighbours are in the wrong, don't stop!

exactly! thats crazy! your allowed to live in your own home,and to live healthy at that >:(
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I suss it won't be an issue once the floorboards are replaced. Wood shrinks with time (my hubby is in flooring) and develops creaks. You've done nothing wrong, and the fact that their complaint is costing the owner money has put them on the radar, not you. Document any further complaints, should their be any.

Before buying my house I lived in a townhouse with a biddy next door. Three days after I moved in she complained that 1) my dog barked all day, 2) my kids screamed and made all sorts of noise all night and 3) my cooking produced 'noxious odors' that invaded her apartment.

I very calmly explained to her that I had neither a dog nor children and I had worked two double shifts at the hospital and hadn't yet spent the night in my new place or used the kitchen. I did alert her to the fact I was a light sleeper and didn't care for the home shopping network she blared all day and would be unappreciative if her telly woke me at night. She told me she 'had' to turn it up as my television was too loud; I didn't own a television. I contacted management and asked them to pay to move me to another apartment due to her complaining every time she saw me. They decided to move her out instead.
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    I definitely will keep everybody updated! :) My boyfriend offered to come over and hang out the whole day tomorrow, so I'll do Insanity and see if she complains. She seemed to have a problem with it at 3pm, so I'll try it around noon. I figure most people will either be at church or brunch or something around noon on a Sunday, so hopefully she won't hear it. If she does complain, I'll at least have some back up and can tell her the wonderful news about maintenance starting work next Wednesday!*

*which I may or may not have requested for them to start at 8am ;)
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    Seriously?! Don't let her chase you away from getting your exercise in where and when it is convenient for you (within reason, of course).

If it were me, I'd probably turn the TV on in the other room, start the dishwasher and clothes washer, and anything else that makes noise, and then do my workout. :huh:
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I currently live in a second story apartment (note, this is the fifth apartment complex that I've lived in where I have had people below me ... zero complaints until now). I was in the middle of doing my workout when the people who just moved in downstairs told me that they don't want me working out in my apartment because it's too loud. I was doing this at 3:00 in the afternoon by the way.

Anyway, I have 12 months left on my lease and I don't want to be in a war with them for another year, so I feel obligated to stop... but now I don't know what to do! I'm a pretty broke full-time student, so I can't afford a gym membership. I'm two weeks into Insanity and feel like I have to quit, which makes me pretty bummed. I know that I can still do free weights, but that honestly feels like it. Do you guys have any advice on how to deal with this? I live in Florida and it's about to be summer time, so running outside is pretty much not an option.

You are not obligated to stop. The only thing you are obligated to do is not make outrageous amounts of noise during sleeping hours. Unless the people downstairs have some sort of authority over you I'd keep on working out. To remain neighborly just think of a nice way to refuse their request.

What he said. You have every right to move around in your apartment during the day. Make a point to always be nice and neighborly (as best you can) but continue your routine. It is up to them to report the issue to the landlord to resolve NOT for them to resolve it with you.

actually landlords usually prefer you to talk to your neighbors first.. however if that doesnt work or if they acted in a way that makes you think it will go no where I would just talk to the landlord.. maybe they can mediate? pretty sure its not illegal to workout in the middle of the afternoon... lol we had people kinda like this but they got mad when i walked in quietly at night after work (it was quiet too for sure since i didnt wake up my son or husband if he was asleep) and they always flipped. if you cant handle people above you move into a top floor.. or a townhome (thats what we did to get rid of the outside stairs and the noise :-) )
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I currently live in a second story apartment (note, this is the fifth apartment complex that I've lived in where I have had people below me ... zero complaints until now). I was in the middle of doing my workout when the people who just moved in downstairs told me that they don't want me working out in my apartment because it's too loud. I was doing this at 3:00 in the afternoon by the way.

Anyway, I have 12 months left on my lease and I don't want to be in a war with them for another year, so I feel obligated to stop... but now I don't know what to do! I'm a pretty broke full-time student, so I can't afford a gym membership. I'm two weeks into Insanity and feel like I have to quit, which makes me pretty bummed. I know that I can still do free weights, but that honestly feels like it. Do you guys have any advice on how to deal with this? I live in Florida and it's about to be summer time, so running outside is pretty much not an option.

You are not obligated to stop. The only thing you are obligated to do is not make outrageous amounts of noise during sleeping hours. Unless the people downstairs have some sort of authority over you I'd keep on working out. To remain neighborly just think of a nice way to refuse their request.

i agree with this..i lived on a 2nd floor apartment for 3 years and made sure to use my treadmill and elliptical only in the daytime (as u said u do) and they could not say anything to me. Mind u they blasted music all hours of the night so bad my floor shook we talked to them called cops and landlord did nothing about it so i eventually just worked out and did not care about being quite lol
  • purple_jelly_bean
    Options
    Maybe you should take up the trumpet. Play it loudly and badly for at least 4 hours a day and when she complains about the noise that makes, offer to give up the trumpet if you can do exercise instead! Lol.

I lovd this idea.. Lmbo..
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    Talk to your landlord you are allowed reasonable enjoyment of your living quarters and it was 3pm, not 3am.

so, her neighbors aren't allowed to enjoy their own apartment in quiet if that's what they want? Last time I checked, things like that work both ways - her neighbors are also allowed reasonable enjoyment of their living quarters, & if the person above them exercising is bothering them, then they have every right to complain

Also, people don't all work 9 - 5. Some people work the night shift & have to try to sleep through the day.

ETA: This is a touchy subject for me, as I lived under a child for 4 years (couldn't afford to move) that I swear was fed a diet of pure speed or something... this kid would run from one end of the apartment to the other from 7am until around 11pm or later, & NOTHING could be done about it (we even asked that they just keep her out of the bedroom directly above ours, so we could sleep, because we were both working night shifts at the time, but no luck)
    Due to this, I've now got noise sensitivity issues. I live in a quiet apartment, but on the rare occasion that my neighbors are annoying me, I put my headphones on & blare white noise.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Your neighbor sounds like a complete b*tch. TO THE MATTRESSES!!
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

so, her neighbors aren't allowed to enjoy their own apartment in quiet if that's what they want? Last time I checked, things like that work both ways - her neighbors are also allowed reasonable enjoyment of their living quarters, & if the person above them exercising is bothering them, then they have every right to complain

Also, people don't all work 9 - 5. Some people work the night shift & have to try to sleep through the day.

ETA: This is a touchy subject for me, as I lived under a child for 4 years (couldn't afford to move) that I swear was fed a diet of pure speed or something... this kid would run from one end of the apartment to the other from 7am until around 11pm or later, & NOTHING could be done about it (we even asked that they just keep her out of the bedroom directly above ours, so we could sleep, because we were both working night shifts at the time, but no luck)
    Due to this, I've now got noise sensitivity issues. I live in a quiet apartment, but on the rare occasion that my neighbors are annoying me, I put my headphones on & blare white noise.

I have to agree with a lot of what you say here. I always ask specifically for a second story apartment because I don't want to live under noisy neighbors. That said, when I did live over someone, I tried to take note of when she was at work so I could work out then and not disturb her.

I say the OP should ask the neighbors what time they're at work/gone etc and try to accommodate that if possible.

It's just a fact that living in an apartment requires you to be more considerate of others than if you lived in a house. I don't think it's right to just say "Eff them!"
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I know how being a broke college student is, but if there is a planet fitness near you, you can get the basic membership for 10 bucks a month with no contract.
  • dragonsheart84
    Options
    I live in an upstairs apartment and there is nothing that my neighbor can say to me about exercising. It is your house. Unless you are doing it during quiet time, which obviously you are not, she cannot tell you to stop. I weight in at 235 and I worry I will go through the floor even though I was told no because they are cement. There is no way that she can tell you to stop moving around in your apartment. That is ridiculous. Tell the office that she came to you with an unreasonable request.
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options

I have to agree with a lot of what you say here. I always ask specifically for a second story apartment because I don't want to live under noisy neighbors. That said, when I did live over someone, I tried to take note of when she was at work so I could work out then and not disturb her.

I say the OP should ask the neighbors what time they're at work/gone etc and try to accommodate that if possible.

It's just a fact that living in an apartment requires you to be more considerate of others than if you lived in a house. I don't think it's right to just say "Eff them!"

I was beginning to think I was the only one with this opinion
    It bugs me when people are all 'oh, you're completely in the right, ignore the fact that you're annoying the people around you & keep doing exactly what you're doing'
    no, that's not what apartment living is about. if you want to have that attitude, you need to have your own house (& not play your stereo so loud your neighbors can hear it 4 doors down). Noise going into someone else's living space isn't fair to the person who doesn't want that noise, a person who is paying rent just like the person causing the noise. If the person living under the OP feels that the noise is unreasonable, it's not fair to make her live with it. I agree that a compromise should be found (like the OP working out at a different time, or in a different room, or something), but people saying 'do it in cowboy boots' obviously have no respect for people who live around them.

As for apartment living - you either get to jump around all you want in your apartment (& deal with upstairs neighbors), or you get to not have anyone living above you (& have to be considerate of the people you have living beneath you). You can't exactly have it both ways. It would be nice if people were more considerate, so living under someone wasn't a thing to be specifically avoided
This discussion has been closed.