You don't need to lose weight!

Options

Replies

• TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    It's a compliment. Take it as such, but continue towards the goals you set for yourself.
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Just got it from the challenger co-ordinater. She said hahah exactly once again!! you are entering "The BIGGEST Loser Challenge 2012" it is structured to benifit people who are overweight..."

WTF seriously. I am "average" but closer to the overweight side than the normal side, this, this is exactly what I'm talking about. It bugs me because nobody sees that I still do need to lose weight and body fat in order to be healthier and most importantly, happier.
  • striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I concur with pretty much all that has been said on here.

I recently posted some images on facebook and was told by several people "I'm getting too skinny." Uh, what? lol. I could definitely afford to lose more weight and tone up. As another user posted on here, they don't see me naked.... :wink:
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I always have people tell me

"If you lost 45 more lbs you would be much too thin!"

I would still be technically overweight.. :huh:
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I often get told " you are skinny enough! You don't need to lose weight!" One of my customers gave me a mug of coffee and 5 slices of cake when I finished cutting her lawn!

Tezrah...was that customer a girl or guy? Just never heard a guy say something like that to other guys..

An elderly (80s) overweight lady.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight = "If you lose weight you'll look better than me and I don't like that, but I don't want to work out and eat right - so you stop getting skinny so we can all stay overweight!"
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I may get cursed out by someone for saying this....my belief is that is a women thing...because if you are a guy and talking with one of your boys and you say, "man I am going to try a lose some weight for the summer"...your friend will reply "Yea man..you fat"....but if it's a girl...she would say..."girl you don't need to lose any weight...stop tripping" I have seen it many times especially at work...Has any girl here said that? if so...why? I thought it was because she internally was either jealous, OR she was thinking that the person saying they are going to lose weight just need kind words? dunno
    431099_10150725272154664_590624663_11330699_180094068_n.jpg
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have been watching a couple shows that deal with weight loss (Biggest Loser and Heavy). These people were obese or morbidly obese then they lost a lot of weight. On the show Heavy, they would go and lose weight for a month on their own. Then the cameras would show their progress. Sometimes I would be like HOLY CRAP THEY GOT SO SKINNY! *jaw drops* then they would step on the scale and still be a good 50 pounds overweight.

I think it has to do with they are used to seeing you at a certain weight, so when you drop some you look A LOT different and A LOT skinner than what they are used to. Sometimes those people on those shows don't look like they need to lose anymore weight, but then when they step on the scale it is like "well would you look at that... weird".

Definitely this! I lost 50kg before and was very small (perhaps a bit too skinny really) then when I put 30kg back on people would still tell me I looked great and hadn't gained any weight at all or that I looked like I had lost weight even though I was back in the obese range. I guess it takes more than weight loss to change the image people have of you in their minds :/
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Just tell them, you're not losing anymore weight. That will make them happy, they aren't doing all the hard work, so it doesn't hurt them. or just say ok and they'll stop. If you say you're going to the gym and they start asking questions just say this is your lifestyle now and something you love to do, Not to lose weight but maintain it. They don't have to know more than that.
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Haven't been told that yet ....waiting for the day my friends - just waiting for the day!!! :laugh:
    got a long way to go to get there yet :ohwell:
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Everyone I have known, apart from my partner, that have known me at my heaviest say this all the time now! My partner knows it annoys me because I have another 16lbs to lose, so therefore not helpful! I know he thinks it in his head though. :P
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    If someone said that to me, I would take it as a compliment. Their perception of you is different from your own.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Tell them to stop gaining weight.
  • cheddle
    cheddle Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    tell them that you dont want to settle for average, and that you want your body to reflect how you feel about yourself - i.e: amazing and excellent.

let the sheep keep baaahahaing - they cant understand what it feels like to be the Shepard :-) *oh im sooo deeeeep* lol
  • jesska812
    jesska812 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't mention to any of my friends that I want to lose weight. Especially as someone who wants to go from the top of the healthy BMI range to the bottom of it - it can be a bit demotivating to be told all the time that you don't need to lose weight. I've never come up with a good come back (I'm not quick enough!) but I'm going to use the one in the OP from now on!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I hear this all the time. I believe people tell me this because I've lost a lot of upper body weight. My collar bones really stick out and my natural waist is small but my lower half....from my abdomen to my thighs is where all my weight is. I have a few more pounds to lose and a lot of muscle building to get accomplish. In no way do I need to stop trying to get in shape. But I believe they only notice the top half and simply ignore everything else.

Also I think some might just be hating because I was able to make the choice to get healthier and follow through....and basically they haven't. That is wasted energy though. I wish they would just use me for motivation.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Yup, my work colleagues have been particularly vocal the last couple of weeks saying how stick thin I sm, how I can possibly need to lose more etc etc. No one said oh you're getting pretty fat lose some weight, so why is it ok to have a whine now I am getting healthier? I had an obese BMI and am now in the healthy range but want to lose a few more pounds and tone up.
    Oh I was told not to get "silly" with my weight loss and go too skinny...... Whatever that means
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    DW thinks I'm too skinny.

I also now understand that the "normal" look is generally going to be someone that would be healthier if they lost some weight. If you're in a healthy weight range, then people may think you're too skinny because you're skinnier than normal.
  • Escarda
    Escarda Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    From my fiance i get "i would really like if you could loose some weight, so you get the sexy body i want you to have".
    My fiances perants: "you dont need to loose any more weight, you are going to become annerexic".
    My mum: "dont be silly you dont need to loose weight".
    My dad: "wow, you look like your pregnant. When did you grow that belly?"

So i cant rely on the people around me.. The people who are honest, it just sounds like there being mean. And the people who lie, and try to make me feel better, hurt me long run. Because if i listened to them, one day i would wake up huge..
  • noteve
    noteve Posts: 57
    Options
    Daily, seriously.

I just reply "I know I don't need to, but I want to, so I will."