I weigh every day :/

Options

Replies

• Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, but I keep a good mindset about it. I know results of my actions will not show up immediately. I weigh almost out of curiosity to see what makes my weight fluctuate. If I drink water late at night, if I eat late at night, if I exercise in the morning before I weight myself, if I wake up earlier than usual....
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but don't stress out if it goes up a bit, because it always goes down. I do not record it unless it's less than I have on the chart. I seem to be fluctuating a couple of lbs. It's easier to scale down a few pounds that a bunch. Funny, a few years ago when I tried WW the scale was the enemy and I think it's because they focus on the scale! Have lost 44 and have about 10 to go :)
  • emmalou2206
    emmalou2206 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I used to jump on the scales everytime I went in the bathroom, lol.

I am not as bad now, usually mid week and on a Monday (weigh in day). I only record once a week though
  • texasheathers
    texasheathers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, but I am trying to stay ultra focused. In the past I would weigh once a week - but I'm finding that weighing every day helps me stay focused on it and see the small fluctuations. I'm not going to stop - I don't care if it it's obsessive because I've about decided the only way I'm going to take any weight off is if I get obsessive about it. Not being that way sure hasn't worked. for me!
  • svmunday
    svmunday Posts: 1
    Options
    I weigh myself every day when I get up and have a chart showing my weight changes. I find it hard to motivate myself over a long period so tend to take it day by day knowing I will be on the scales keeps me away from the chocolate biscuits!
    When I went to WW I would eat almost nothing on the weigh in day and then stuff myself day after. This way I keep my calories and exercise on a more even keel.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am a daily weigher too and as has been said..I don't get crazy about it and it helps me to keep focused as well.
    I can guarantee that if I have a "binge" type day say on a Wednesday it won't show up on the scales till Friday....:huh:
  • JessicaMarie9382
    Options
    I was a weigh everyday girl too....and it got me discouraged at times. So, what I did was put the scale on a shelf in the closest and only took it out on weigh in days (Sunday mornings for me).
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every single day - sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. I don't record those but it keeps me focused on what I am trying to accomplish.

Everyones weight will fluctuate throughout the day so I don't freak out over the numbers - just observe what's going on.

I don't think that's a real issue unless there is significant anxiety related to the daily weigh-ins.

Same here.

I think I need to stop doing it though. I often find myself doing it before and after food at the weekend. I think I am getting a bit compulsive about it.
  • texasheathers
    texasheathers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but for me ... it seems to help keep me focused. I understand that weight fluctuates and I don't beat myself up over a small weight gain. If you are having a negative reaction to weighing yourself every day, then please limit yourself to either once a week or maybe even once every two weeks. No one needs or wants added stress, this will not help you accomplish your weight loss goal.

9821387.png

Yeah, I agree about not having a negative reaction. I've struggled with this a little. Earlier this week I had a two pound drop two days in a row. I was pretty happy - and then on the third day it jumped back up two pounds. Stressed me out! LOL But, then it dropped back down a couple days later. I agree - weighing every day helps keep my mind in the right place.
  • kacbldmm07
    Options
    I have the same problem. When you overcome this let me know how you did it. I really need to quit. It gets so annoying. I think I may lock it up for a while. But, I will then go crazy... maybe that is what I need. :grumble:
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I set my New Year's resolution to only weigh once a week -- I didn't/don't always stick to it, but it helped me break the "weigh every day" addiction.
  • Sandyk5460
    Options
    I weigh every day too. How else are you supposed to find out if what you are doing is working? By weighing every day, you can change up your plan before you have wasted an entire week. Now that would be discouraging!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Finally, successful weight-loss maintenance seems to require consistent "self-monitoring." For instance, some NWCR participants weigh themselves daily, while others keep a precise food journal. "They're always watching for changes and respond to them quickly," Wyatt says. "They don't just let things go." Whatever the method, self-monitoring requires the same restraint and vigilance—what some experts refer to as "cognitive control"—as does committing to a weight-loss program.

THis is from someone at the National Weight Control Registry.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and yes my weight goes up and down but I don't care. As long as I continue to lose over time and I'm still losing inches, working on my health, eating well, etc., I know it's not a big deal. Now if you started weighing yourself several times a day, that could be a problem. I used to do that when I was anorexic and I refused to weigh more in the evening than when I woke up. Silly, but it was a disease I had.
  • Sandyk5460
    Options
    I got on the scale today and was 1.3 lbs heavier than I was Wednesday. I don't even know if that's physically possible but it led me to think that maybe weighing in every day is the right thing to do so that I can keep track of those inconsistencies and try to figure out how that happens. Anyone else do that? And then only count the one day a week on here? I'm just very confused as to how I'm not losing weight... or maybe I am losing weight but the scale tricks me when it changes so much! I'm eating better, working out, I feel not lighter but narrower. But every day that passes I get more and more stressed that I'm not losing. I started out hoping for 20 lbs by June (started in March) now I'm just hoping for 10 because time goes by and the weight doesn't go down...

Is it me? Is it the scale? What is going on? Losing weight is always hard for me but usually when I make the conscious decision to really try hard I lose at least a few lbs right away and this time, there's nothing. I'm not sure what to even change at this point!

The 1.3 pounds heavier was probably water gain. Did you check your legs for fluid? I am on medication that makes me retain fluid but I hate to take my "water pill" every day so I only take it when I push on my lower leg with one finger and see an indentation.

• femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hide the scale. I did this and was able to go about 5 days without weighing, because I was less tempted because it wasn't right there. Or have someone else hide it for you.
  • arojas1227
    arojas1227 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you're weighing yourself every day and are worried, maybe you should start slowly. Like just trying to weigh yourself every two days. I have a hard time lasting a week also.
  • Sandyk5460
    Options
    The 1.3 pounds heavier was probably water gain. Did you check your legs for fluid? I am on medication that makes me retain fluid but I hate to take my "water pill" every day so I only take it when I push on my lower leg with one finger and see an indentation.
    I weigh every day too but I won't record it if I have obvious signs of fluid gain. That would make everyone crazy!
  • orbinick
    orbinick Posts: 5
    Options
    We start with the premise that our scales are perfectly calibrated and for the most part they are wrong. Most of them are not calibrated accurately and may or may not account for clothing. It's always better to weigh in on mornings, undressed, no food or water intake. I've seen variations from 5 to eight pounds on more than 10 weight ins on 2 recently bought scales if you do them every 1-5 minutes and hoping you have a very stable surface. I even had a scale that added 2 pounds if I put my feet near one of the sides. Some may not have a way to adjust. So have a second opinion and don't weigh as often.
  • Wimbledongal
    Wimbledongal Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ha I have 2 scales in case I don't like the number on my normal one! Oh and the scales x2 at the gym consistently weigh me as 4lbs lighter than I am at home. I just am pleased that it's going down!