How would you make this recipe healthier?

2»

Replies

• aw8899
    aw8899 Posts: 13 Member
    1/2 cup sugar - Instead I would use stevia or splenda

1/2 cup light corn syrup- Maybe try using honey (it's about the same consistency I think)

3 tablespoons butter or margarine- I am not sure what this is for in the recipe but I guess margarine would be your best bet. Or, if you're brave try olive oil.

3 tablespoons peanut butter - Try an all natural or organic peanut butter peanut butter (If you do this read the lable carefully to make sure it is) . Or, try making your own with some raw peanuts, a food processor and a little bit of light oil. Or you could try a natural almond butter or making your own almond butter (the same way you would make your own peanut butter) if you are not allergic to tree nuts.

8 cups popped Healthy Pop Butter Flavor- I wonder how much sodium is in this and how "healthy it is". I would pop the pop corn yourself stove top. Just buy Orville Redinbachers popping corn (original). It's a lot healthier.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Sub sugar for stevia
    Sub butter for light butter or Brummel and Brown yogurt butter (45 cal/ tbsp)
    Sub peanut butter for pb2 (45 cal/ 2 tbsp)

What is pb2?

PB2 is powdered peanut butter that you mix with water (it's just peanuts, salt, and sugar). It's 45 cal for 2T. Most health food stores carry it or you can get it online. I'm not sure where you live but I buy it at Hy-Vee in the health market section.
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Oh I also think it's important to note the difference between "healthier" and "low cal"

I assumed you meant low-cal, so that's what I went with, but for healthier, I'd say raw sugar vs sweetener and fresh ground peanut butter instead of pb2. PB2 is still natural and very healthy, but you do lose a lot of the healthy fats in the process they use to make it so low cal.

Hope that helps!
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    chopped peanuts and melted marshmallows apparently does the trick?
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    I would use air-popped popcorn. Reduce the sugar by 25%. And maybe replace the corn syrup with maple syrup for more flavor. (Less as well.). I'd use real butter. You can probably reduce it a little bit too.

If you use syrup there is a smuckers syrup that is really low in calories but I have not been able to find it in stores someone gave it to me you might have to buy it online. But its like 20 calories 1/4 cup its tastes awesome!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    3 tablespoons butter or margarine
    3 tablespoons peanut butter
    8 cups popped Healthy Pop Butter Flavor

1/2 c Stevia
    1/2 c Honey
    3 tbs Hydrated Chia seeds
    3 tbs peanut butter
    8 c air popped popcorn
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Brown Rice Syrup or Agave might be a substitute for corn syrup. You will have to be careful about altering sugar amounts, because the stickiness of the sugar mixed with the syrup is what makes the popcorn adhere. Maybe the PB2 powder would help create some of that stickiness with less sugar. You are essentially making caramel or candy when you make this, and it is very tricky to alter the sugar ratio in those.