What to eat when I'm forced to have a late dinner??

Options
jess_1993
jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
Since after work I go straight to the gym, by the time I get back home It's around 9pm at night and I haven't eaten dinner yet! Usually I just eat yogurt and call it a night but my stomach usually hurts while I fall asleep because of this. Any suggestions on what I should eat??

Replies

• IndyMode
    IndyMode Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Eat a normal healthy dinner, if you work late, then you have a different schedule than most and just eat to accommodate it.
  • rowenaaitken
    rowenaaitken Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Have less carbs and more protein mixed with salads or other light things in the evenings. Too many carbs late on will go straight into fat as you sleep plus the protein boost your muscle repair. Protein will also fill you up.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Have less carbs and more protein mixed with salads or other light things in the evenings. Too many carbs late on will go straight into fat as you sleep plus the protein boost your muscle repair. Protein will also fill you up.

The carb thing is a myth. Eat whatever you feel like eating, as long as it fits into your calorie allowance/macros.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Look at your diary and see what you need to complete it. Low on protein, then eat protein. Low on carbs, then eat carbs. Low on everything, have a feast and sleep well.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs late on will go straight into fat as you sleep ...

no, they won't.

just eat for dinner what you want to eat for dinner. calories can't tell time.
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Your body doesnt know what time it is...as long as your meal fits into your cals for the day eat what you want.
  • RGonVSH
    RGonVSH Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I eat late, I usually have a simple salad (greens, tomato, carrots, and a little avocado) with maybe a hard-boiled egg sliced on top . Go easy on the dressing to avoid too much sodium and fat intake. I usually squeeze a couple of wedges of lemon juice on mine.

Since you are coming from the gym, the hard boiled egg (protein) will help with muscle repair.
  • DeepBreaths
    Options
    Since after work I go straight to the gym, by the time I get back home It's around 9pm at night and I haven't eaten dinner yet! Usually I just eat yogurt and call it a night but my stomach usually hurts while I fall asleep because of this. Any suggestions on what I should eat??

You need to make friends with a slow cooker! Martha Stewart has volumes of healthy recipes too. Most likely you are quite hungry, but I know what its like when you get in the door and you are just wired. Also, what are you eating for lunch?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Look at your diary and see what you need to complete it. Low on protein, then eat protein. Low on carbs, then eat carbs. Low on everything, have a feast and sleep well.

This.

Eat what you'd eat if you ate earlier. It doesn't matter what time, unless you're someone who gets indigestion or can't sleep well on a full stomach.

Or have some turkey and go into a Thanksgiving Day type food coma.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Dinner.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    salad
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i remember jillian michaels once said in an interview that if you have to eat so soon before bed, you should eat more protein than carbs - can't cite it exactly though. but you shouldn't worry too much. eat whatever you feel like eating!
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Some of these answers are silly-The Carb thing is not a myth and it does matter what you eat, here's why :)

Serotonin and GABA are two of your primary neuroreceptors in your brain that affect mood, sleepiness, awake-ness, etc. Serotonin can be elevated by eating carbohydrate (i.e. late at night). When you eat the carb, insulin pops out of your pancreas and cleans your blood of a bunch of amino acids except for the TURKEY amino! (j/k, I mean tryptophan). Tryptophan hits the brain, turns in to serotonin and you get calm, satisfied, etc. it's part of the reason some people drink milk pre-bed (tryptophan).

NOW. between 11 pm and 1 am, your body clicks in to (CAUTION, CLICHE TERM AHEAD!!) "detoxify" your body. Your parasympathetic nervous system (the one that controls your organs, heart, digestion, etc) kicks in to high gear and nutrients start moving where they should.

If you go home and eat cake, you will gain fat...the carb thing is not a myth :)

some protein and carb will refuel you and put you to sleep.

WHAT SHOULD YOU EAT

Eat some protein for aminos for your muscles and some carb within 1/2 hourish of being done with your workout. make your meal relatively small and have COMPLEX CARBS like long-grain brown rice or some veggies. Sip down some lemon or lime juice in water to slow the glycemic index and you'll be all set and even add a little growth-hormone boost :)

check this out if you need more!

wellfitlife.me
  • fightingautism
    Options
    To add to the carb/protein debate is insulin effectiveness. For diabetics different times of the day brings different outcomes. I have what's called "dawn effect" where I CANNOT eat carbs in the morning. If I do, it sends my blood glucose soaring, then crashing to a hypoglycemic state in about 3 hours. For others, eating higher carbs before bed can cause a middle-of-night crash. See this link for more info: http://diabetes.webmd.com/morning-high-blood-sugar-levels

Each of these things is not caloric intake vs caloric expenditure, it's about krebs cycle and mitochondrial function/impairment. Losing weight is NOT as simple as intake vs expenditure. For diabetics, eating protein with low carb prior to bedtime can maintain a better glucose level overnight, and even if you don't have diabetes, the body likes a steady glucose level. If one is overweight, chances are there is some level of insulin resistance/impairment and that chance increases with the amount of overweight a person is.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you go home and eat cake, you will gain fat...the carb thing is not a myth :)

You will gain fat eating cake at night, even at a calorie deficit? :noway:
  • skydivelife
    Options

It depends on the person and how often. Most people in their 20-something's and early 30s will not. However, many people in their mid-30s and beyond begin having issues with their glut4 receptors, insulin transports and production, protein issues, lipase issues.

My statement may have been aunnecessary blanket (sorry) :-) but my point is, calories in vs. calories out tends to work for people whose metabolisms (thousands of molecular reactions), even though it may not be the exact solution.

However, if you understand the physiology, there's a LOT that can go wrong.

I know this idea is abstract if calories in vs. out worked for you but think about anyone you know who is diabetic, has gone through menopause or is on steroids or anti-depressants. Most of these people gain weight without either changing the type and timing of their food or taking another drug to counteract. That's the whole idea behind whey protein supplement, 7-keto, multivitamins, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts :-) I LOVE this stuff"

Wellfitlife.me
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    You should totally make your own frozen dinners to pop in the microwave and gobble up. Oooh, you could even do them by macro needs... like, carby frozen meals, balanced frozen meals, proteiny frozen meals..

Also, you could drink it. Nothing like a late night smoothie! :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

It depends on the person and how often. Most people in their 20-something's and early 30s will not. However, many people in their mid-30s and beyond begin having issues with their glut4 receptors, insulin transports and production, protein issues, lipase issues.

My statement may have been aunnecessary blanket (sorry) :-) but my point is, calories in vs. calories out tends to work for people whose metabolisms (thousands of molecular reactions), even though it may not be the exact solution.

I know this idea is abstract if calories in vs. out worked for you but think about anyone you know who is diabetic, has gone through menopause or is on steroids or anti-depressants. Most of these people gain weight without either changing the type and timing of their food or taking another drug to counteract. That's the whole idea behind whey protein supplement, 7-keto, multivitamins, etc.

Wellfitlife.me

The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

Heard of carb backloading or the biorhythm diet?

To answer, the question. Eat whetever you want that fits you're macro targets.
  • skydivelife
    Options

Wellfitlife.me

The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

Heard of carb backloading or the biorhythm diet?

To answer, the question. Eat whetever you want that fits you're macro targets.

Far more important than timing but timing is still important :-)

Your advice may work great for A 29 year old guy, But it won't work across the board. Why not start more specific, see some results and work backward from there?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

The carb thing is a myth. Eat whatever you feel like eating, as long as it fits into your calorie allowance/macros.

Yep! I used to finish work at midnight, I had my "dinner" at 4pm, a snack at work (sandwich etc around 9pm), then I would eat again when I got home, didn't care about whether it had carbs in, as long as my macros for the day were fine.

I still lost weight, meal timing doesn't matter, as long as you meet your calorie/macro goals :smile: