Cheat days vs no cheat days

Options
I'm needing some thoughts. My diary is public.

I am 31, 5'6", down 40 from a total goal of 120. I was hardcore the first three months where I lost the 40 lbs and then a lot of personal drama happened. I took a month long break and gained 6 back but have already lost it since I started back. The drama hasn't slowed or stopped so my main goal right now is to stay motivated and make better decisions. A good majority of what I've chosen to eat in the past week has been based largely on convenience due to time constraints (i.e. frozen dinners, quick meals) and not so much about eating clean. I have to admit I am one of those people who freak out if I go over 1200 calories though I know logically that is bad. That's also a big reason why I'm about to pose the question. I struggle behaving every day. It was easier the first three months when the drama wasn't there but now that my life is crap I just want to eat. Would it be the worst thing if I take a day off from "dieting"? How frequently? Once a week? Once a month? A meal? A whole day? What do you guys feel comfortable with and what suggestions do you have to help me get past my discomfort of eating only 1200 or less? I hate feeling guilty for eating and I hate feeling guilty for not eating...darn vicious cycle...

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, but I do fit what could be called cheaty-type foods (cookies, cupcakes, popsicles) into my daily budget. The type of eater/person I am doesn't work well with cheat days. I have to keep on track all the time, so I give myself little bits every day so I don't feel deprived.

If you know you can get back to your budget after a cheat day, you should be fine. You might want to keep track of a weekly calories budget rather than daily.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    That's a good thought. How would I calculate weekly calories? Right now I've got it set at 1200 which I don't really like but apparently I can't lose without exercise unless it's set at 1200. If I had more free time I'd throw in some exercise. I count the little stuff I do but I don't think it's all that effective. So assuming 1200. Would I just multiply that by 7 and the days I go over I make up for by going under on other days?
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    Instead of a "cheat day" once a week... I try to make it a "cheat meal" once a week. I know I'm going to exceed my goals that day because of that one meal, but I'm not completely sabotaging everything I've done for the week.

As I progress in my healthy journey, I hope to be able to tame those "cheat meals" somewhat. for example, one week I might eat a whole pizza for a cheat meal.... but eventually I hope to just have a slice or two for a "cheat meal".

I've only been at this a month, so I definitely don't know what I'm doing.... and I have had days when I completely fall off the wagon. but my GAOL is only screw up one meal a week. I've gotten close....
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat meal each week that I don't log at all... and on that day, I keep everything else exactly the same. I eat between 1100-1300 calories daily. So on the day I do the cheat meal, I will still do my 1100-1300 plus the cheat meal.

Don't sabotage your hard work with food tho.. find another way to deal with the drama. If you put weight back on that's just gonna add more stress, depression, and drama to ur plate. U don't want that!!!

Heather
  • Aerohead21
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone. I know I use food to feel better and I'm working on finding solutions to manage stress that doesn't involve eating. I used to use exercise but time doesn't permit that at the moment. Lately I have been trying to lean on friends and develop a better support system. I notoriously isolate when things are tough so it's weird to share all this when all I want to do is hide.
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a cheat meal or day. For most of us this is a life style change and therefore that means life is gonna get in the way of the most well thought out plan. Lets face it most of us will eventually stop counting calories when we hit our goal. Therefore now is the time for trial and error. I eat what I want with in reason and with in my calorie budget. If there is an option for a healthier choice I usually go for that but I never deny myself that chocolate. I have two children that play sports and are very active and there are days that we have to hit MC Donald's. When I go there I want a cheesburger and fry's not a salad so instead of a big Mac I get a regular cheesburger and a small fry. I get what I want at a lower calorie budget and I'm happy and I didn't blow all my hard work. You just have to find the right balance for you and not feel guilty about it.
  • viser_haut
    viser_haut Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If by cheat you mean, have something higher calorie that is supposedly 'bad' for you... then every day is cheat day! :) I realised a long time ago that trying to live life without chocolate is just... impossible. Set aside a small amount of calories per day for the things you like.
    If you know that you would be tempted to binge or go over calories too often, then try counting calories weekly! If I go over one day, I make sure I stick around my weekly goal. Don't feel guilty about it, either! It sets good habits for the future once you reach your desired weight... let's face it, no one is going to go without 'junk' food for the rest of their lives.
    In a nutshell, instead of having a full day off where you may be tempted to lose control, just make every day a little easier on yourself. :smile:
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days because "cheating" implies that I'm doing something wrong, or at least something I'm not supposed to be doing. As far as I'm concerned, eating is not something that should come with guilt. If I want a particular food, I consider the consequences; if I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, I eat it and don't feel bad about it. If I think I'd be better off not eating it, then I don't and I don't feel bad about that either. It's just a matter of deciding what I want in that particular instance.
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a cheat meal or day. For most of us this is a life style change and therefore that means life is gonna get in the way of the most well thought out plan.

I completely agree. This might sound like a weird suggestion, but you might try not even calling it "cheating" on your diet. If you can change the way you think about it, and instead realize that you're making long-term lifestyle changes, then "cheat" days become days where you just ate more calories than you needed (or didn't eat nutrient rich foods, etc.)

I once lost 25 lbs. allowing myself one day a week where I could eat whatever I wanted. However, it took f-o-r-e-v-e-r!! I agree with the above poster who suggested one "free" meal, rather than a whole day. One unhealthy or high calorie meal here and there is not going to ruin your diet, as long as it's not every single day.

Also, once you start getting used to lifestyle changes, a lot of times you might find that you don't even need that "free" meal, because you are used to eating better and you want to keep your momentum. Or, you might find that your splurges change over time ... you may still go over calorie limits, but eat lower fat treats instead, or just eat a few hundred extra calories instead of thousands. I think the key is really in looking at it as a permanent lifestyle change and not a temporarily rigid diet.
  • Aerohead21
    Options
    Yeah, this is far from temporary and that's why I'm posing the question now. While on the weightloss portion of my journey I feel so much guilt over everything - am I eating enough, not enough, is it good, is it bad, is it nutrient rich, is it too high in fat/carbs, will it curb my hunger, and the list just keeps growing. It's borderline obsessive! And that's where the trouble comes in. Balance. How do I make peace with the imperfections? How do I stop making myself feel like a failure at everything?

I only used cheat for lack of a better word. Mainly I wanted people to get the idea that I was wondering how to decide if it would be ok to allow myself the cheat meal/day as a way to help deal with emotional turmoil being imperfect causes...

Always the perfectionist.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I eat what I want, when I want it - I simply do it in moderation. For me, having a "cheat" day is too diet-ish. I would much rather have whatever I'm craving NOW and not have to wait for a special day.
  • shimmer_glo
    Options
    Well if you're in it for the long haul, then 1) that's great! and 2) if you feel like you need a day off or a meal off now and then, I hope you don't feel guilty about it! I think MFP is very helpful because it can help you assess your strengths and weaknesses over time. If you look back and see that you're filling up most days with "cheat meals" or unhealthy food, then reassess and do less of that. But if it works for you, and you're still able to lose or maintain a healthy lifestyle 80 or 90% of the time, then go for it! Getting obsessive about health is actually unhealthy, right? So ... just relax a little if you need to. :) That's my opinion, anyway. Good luck!
  • Aerohead21
    Options
    My cravings are what got me here. They are two-fold: type of food, usually sweets or fatty/fried and quantity, as in I want lots of it. The cravings are endless so I spend a lot of my time battling those.
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't have cheat days, because when I cheat I cheat big. I mean like 7k calories. I love food. So I try and eat tasty things every day and just work it in. If I do have a cheat day it'll usually be once a month. Generally a Saturday, so I have all week to work it off again.
  • Aerohead21
    Options
    That's a good point...I do tend to look at it like it's all or nothing. Maybe by reducing my success rate to 80-90% of the time it won't be so hard.
  • Aerohead21
    Options
    Me Too!!! When I eat how I like to eat it is fast food every meal and desserts! That easily hits the 5k mark give or take. I know I can't do that though. I do have to control not to blow the whole day though. Kind of like someone earlier said about eatig a cheeseburger and small fry instead of the Big Mac meal...
  • jacquelynkay
    jacquelynkay Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Very interesting reading everyone's comments and how they view "cheat" days. For me, it's about the journey of food. We all know that the % of weight loss failure is because people deprive themselves of food they love. I do not deprive myself of ANY food I love, I eat exactly what I want - but the key to my weight loss is strictly portion control. So, I never have cheat days. I'm training myself on portion control and serving size.
  • shimmer_glo
    Options
    That's a good point...I do tend to look at it like it's all or nothing. Maybe by reducing my success rate to 80-90% of the time it won't be so hard.

Just keep in mind that your weight loss rate will be slower. But it might be worth it if you feel like your diet overall is more tolerable from day to day.
  • Aerohead21
    Options
    I'm working on that too but I'll be honest when I say if I ate what I wanted at portion sizes to stay within a calorie budget designed to lose weight, I wouldn't get to eat very much in a day. I think that's another reason I struggle. The food I want and the food I need are so very different.
  • shimmer_glo
    Options
    When I lost the 25 lbs, I was eating 1800 calories a day and exercising maybe 30 minutes 5 days a week. I still ate at McDonalds, because I felt like I needed to. I just ate a little less than I did before counting calories. It worked for me at the time, although, like I said, it took months and months and months. I say, find what works for you and then gradually continue improving.