Please help!!! I'm looking for Quinoa Recipes ....

Options

Replies

• SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love Quinoa!

I've been eating it for breakfast. You cook the amount you want to eat. Add cinnamon, either rice, coconut, soy, or almond milk (I use almond unsweetened) and maple syrup. To dye for!

You can use Quinoa in any recipe where you would use bulgar such as in Tabouleh. With steamed or sauted greens and onion or in middle eastern coucous recipes. I've used it in a Greek Salad with tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and feta with a lemon dressing.

I've also used it with Indian curry powder and zuccini or other curry vegetables -which is surprisingly fantastic.

This should get you started.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    On a side note to this topic-- can you make quinoa in a rice cooker? If so, do you use the whole grain setting or the white rice setting? Is it the same as cooking rice where you put in one part grain to two parts water? Sorry to hijack the post!

also wondering this!

Seems entirely possible to use a rice cooker. The temperature, time, and water ratio is the same.
  • SkyMusic
    SkyMusic Posts: 43
    Options
    Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad
    2 cups quinoa
    1 orange sweet potato
    1 cup broccoli
    1/4 cup carrots
    1.5 cup spinach

I just mix them all together and then warm them up/stir fry them all. It's delicious.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had an awesome salad once with just some red quinoa, walnuts, dried cranberries, avocado, and cucumbers. I served it over some baby romaine with a poppy seed dressing. Usually I make tabbouleh though, but someone else already beat me to that suggestion :tongue:
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    bump
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad
    2 cups quinoa
    1 orange sweet potato
    1 cup broccoli
    1/4 cup carrots
    1.5 cup spinach

I just mix them all together and then warm them up/stir fry them all. It's delicious.

yum that looks great!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of rice, in soups, in salads, in a paella [sp?} type of dish, with sausage and veggies,
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    There are loads of fantastic ideas on here. Going to make the mango salad but have booked marked others especially as i have to be gluten free.
  • Vibe2010
    Vibe2010 Posts: 5
    Options
    I tried using an ordinary (one-button) rice cooker and the cooked the quinoa exactly as rice. It did not turned out as hoped. It was too dry and hard at the bottom.

If you want to try this, I suggest adding extra water.
  • Vibe2010
    Vibe2010 Posts: 5
    Options
    Here is something I like: "Quinoa Oatmeal" as night snack or breakfast.

3 TBsp of quick oat
    1 cup of milk
    brown sugar and cinnamon to taste
    1/8-1/4 cup cooked quinoa
    Cook in a large bowl in microwave (medium for 2-3 minutes)...keep your eyes on it for the last 2 minutes!
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Recently discovered Quinoa so bumping so I can follow. Right now we are adding it to pretty much every salad. The other day I took some to work and had it with a greek salad from work and some steamed shrimp all tossed together. It was awesome. Normally I would eat that greek salad and some edamame and be hungry in a few hours. This time I could not even finish the salad and was stuffed. quinoa really fills you up.
  • naveej
    naveej Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tgaul
    tgaul Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • jumptothebeat
    jumptothebeat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bumping here too x
  • dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You probably already know this, but just throwing it out there in case you don't ... make sure if you don't buy pre-rinsed quinoa, you rinse it really well before cooking. Otherwise, it tastes very bitter.
  • darjeff
    darjeff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I cooked quinoa in my rice cooker tonight and it turned out awesome!. Two to one just like rice but stir it a couple of of times.