Strength Training... UGH :|

Options

Replies

• beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I love it, makes me feel great, I do it 2 times a week for about an hr each session, got toned muscles everywhere now!!
  • nyla_darkmoon
    Options
    I find that the weightlifting class that I take (Body Pump-Les Mills) Is awesome! I started 2 weeks ago and I lift 3x a week. I do Body Combat or Body Vive 2x a week and in my first month I have seen more difference in my body then in 6months of other work outs. My goal is for building muscle and strength and I wouldnt mind losing alittle weight. The classes are great and it never gets boring I would suggest these to anyone who might get bored with strength training or just need a different pace.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I use the beach body program CharLean Extreme and I love it.
  • irade8u
    irade8u Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to love strength training. Lately though I have been injuring some muscles. I guess it is do to getting older! I do try and get cardio in 4 to 5 times a week as long as my joints hold up :0
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Almost everyone hates strength training at first. Then, once they see 3x the results in 1/2 the time as all the cardio they'd been doing, they usually change their mind. Some still hate it...but many end up loving it.

That would be me! I don't find it particularly enjoyable, but I do like when I see the changes in my body shape, or when I'm able to up my weights.

And heck... I don't particularly enjoy shaving my legs or flossing my teeth, either, but I do it because I know it's worth the effort to get the results.
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with it myself. However.. I do look awesome once I keep it up! I'd start out at least 3x a week.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Needing to do STR training alone is not a powerful enough motivation for the long haul. Why do you WANT to do it in the first place?

I decided to strength train after two months of cardio because I was getting bored with cardio and wanted better muscle definition. An awesome MFP pal got me started by creating a custom workout for me after asking me a bunch of questions about where I want to be in terms of physical fitness. I followed that workout to the T for a month and then expanded on it with more exercises gleaned from the Interwebz.

I love STR training much more than I love cardio now; the amount of time I spend on each is telling. :love:
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I always have this thought in the back of my head about dropping a weight on myself. I love bench presses because they're easy and I love feeling the soreness in my arms, but other then that, I just don't seem to have the motivation to push myself, especially when it comes to my legs. I need some simple home workouts that will help strengthen my core and lower body.

Find a spotter?

*sigh* not seriously. Its just one of those things, like tripping when walk across the stage for your diploma or falling over the railing of a tall building. Come on people, you think I actually lift weights alone?

haha, I do.

Me, too! :)
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    In my profile I have a stupidly effective home bodyweight strength training program listed out. If it looks interesting...and you have questions...feel free to PM me. That goes for anyone else as well.

Also...for the record...that program lost me just under 40lbs in 3mos....working out only 3x a week.

I will have to check this out - I have to start strength training too, and have ZERO idea where to start!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    [*sigh* not seriously. Its just one of those things, like tripping when walk across the stage for your diploma or falling over the railing of a tall building. Come on people, you think I actually lift weights alone?

^^ This is why gyms with a power rack are essential. I lift alone every time, and I do RPT training with my top set at my 1RM. As long as you are sensible, using proper form, and making use of the equipment available to you, it's perfectly safe.

I'll just add to the chorus of people encouraging you to look into a beginner program that encourages you to lift heavy, compound exercises. IMO there is no better use of your exercise time.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I always have this thought in the back of my head about dropping a weight on myself. I love bench presses because they're easy and I love feeling the soreness in my arms, but other then that, I just don't seem to have the motivation to push myself, especially when it comes to my legs. I need some simple home workouts that will help strengthen my core and lower body.

Find a spotter?

*sigh* not seriously. Its just one of those things, like tripping when walk across the stage for your diploma or falling over the railing of a tall building. Come on people, you think I actually lift weights alone?

haha, I do.

Me, too! :)

Don't let her BS ya, the Racoon does all the lifting... :tongue:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    People will usually hate something they aren't either good at or have no knowledge in. If you train at a gym, get a free session. If not, then there are lots of free programs online for beginners.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    People will usually hate something they aren't either good at or have no knowledge in. If you train at a gym, get a free session. If not, then there are lots of free programs online for beginners.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

this

I train 4x's per week. Currently no cardio.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    "Everybody wants to lose fat, but nobody wants to lift these HEAVY *kitten* WEIGHTS!" - slight edit from one of Ronnie Coleman's videos.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    People will usually hate something they aren't either good at or have no knowledge in.

So true. Someone had told me something about four stages of learning/competence. Being in Conscious Incompetence (knowing you don't know exactly you're doing or aren't very good at something) is the one where most people give up. If you can just deal with the uncomfortable feeling (hard thing to do) and keep progressing and pushing yourself, you will see drastic improvements.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    People will usually hate something they aren't either good at or have no knowledge in.

So true. Someone had told me something about four stages of learning/competence. Being in Conscious Incompetence (knowing you don't know exactly you're doing or aren't very good at something) is the one where most people give up. If you can just deal with the uncomfortable feeling (hard thing to do) and keep progressing and pushing yourself, you will see drastic improvements.

Amen.

Also, remember that if your program, be it Chaleen, Body Pump, P90x, whatever...requires you to use weights you can lift more than 5-8 (some say 12) reps...you're not strength training, you're working your endurance. This goes across the board...and includes 99% of those gym programs and workout videos. Yes, you'll gain some strength, but you won't be seeing the same benifits as true strength training with heavy weights, nor will you lose the same bodyfat (assuming your diet is in check for either...you won't see benifits if you just eat as you please). Heavy strength training (to me anyhow) is about hormonal response, and it's not triggered with endurance exercises.
  • lrdavenport23
    lrdavenport23 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Crisanderson2: Thanks for the reminder. I definitely need to increase my weights because I usually do 4 sets of 12 to 15 reps of all exercises which is endurance training not strength training. Thanks!
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options

Amen.

Also, remember that if your program, be it Chaleen, Body Pump, P90x, whatever...requires you to use weights you can lift more than 5-8 (some say 12) reps...you're not strength training, you're working your endurance. This goes across the board...and includes 99% of those gym programs and workout videos. Yes, you'll gain some strength, but you won't be seeing the same benifits as true strength training with heavy weights, nor will you lose the same bodyfat (assuming your diet is in check for either...you won't see benifits if you just eat as you please). Heavy strength training (to me anyhow) is about hormonal response, and it's not triggered with endurance exercises.

Chalean Extreme program has you lift heavy and slow enough that your max out or fail between 10-12 reps in the first phase and 6-8 in the second phase so yes this is heavy lifting. And I love it.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Amen.

Chalean Extreme program has you lift heavy and slow enough that your max out or fail between 10-12 reps in the first phase and 6-8 in the second phase so yes this is heavy lifting. And I love it.

That's very good to know! Heavy lifting involves more than just reps...but it definitely qualifies as strength training.
    Crisanderson2: Thanks for the reminder. I definitely need to increase my weights because I usually do 4 sets of 12 to 15 reps of all exercises which is endurance training not strength training. Thanks!

You're welcome...I was saying it more for the people that have never lifted, etc...but I'm glad it helped =D.
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump to read later