Eating MFP calorie goal plus exercise calories - not losing

Options
Anita672
Anita672 Posts: 32 Member
Hi, thanks in advance for your advice or encouragement.

I am 10 lbs away from my goal which sounds great except I've been trying to lose these same 10 lbs for quite awhile!

I have been using MFP with some success but recently was reading all of the posts discussing MFP calorie goals, TDEE, BMR, etc. I had only been eating my calories as set out by MFP which is 1260 to lose 1 lb per week. I am 5' 6", weigh 155 lb, 38 years old. I had put sedentary as my activity level as my job is in an office.

After reading the various posts, I calculated my TDEE as 1744 and my BMR as 1450. I decided to try eating my MFP calories plus any exercise calories to see if that would trigger weight loss.

I've been doing 30 min running/walking intervals, walking/stairs intervals and 60 min walking or elliptical which has pushed my calories into around the 1600 mark which is above my BMR and less than TDEE.

I am weighing, measuring and journaling accurately.

BUT I am not losing (and have even seen a gain of 0.2).

So, of course I am panicking and wondering if I should restrict to the 1260 again. I am feeling good, energetic and happier on 1600 I must note.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and thoughts! I appreciate your help.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm not clear if you were losing at the previous calorie intake ?

Either way, try splitting the difference between 1600 and 1260 (say 1400) to see if that creates a deficit while keeping you happier.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Have you tried setting your goal to a half pound a week and eating your exercise calories?
  • Anita672
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Yarwell. I was losing at 1200 which was the setting for I think 1 1/2 lb/week loss. I was not consistently exercising and am exercising more and consistently now.

1200 is hard to maintain and I do feel less restricted on 1600. But, I do want to see some change in the scale. Although it shouldn't be the be all end all, I do want to see a change on the scale as I need that feedback to encourage me to keep on.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Or eat more in general and don't eat back your exercise calories?
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating exercise calories? If you're using the numbers on MFP, I find that they are way too high for me (same height as you). I use my heart rate monitor and the numbers are much lower, but then I'm more confident re: eating back my calories. Also, I didn't look at your diary, but you could try cutting out breads and other "starchy" carbs for a week and see if that gets you going. I don't do that sort of thing long term, but when I am really dedicated and need to loose a bit, I do that and it helps.

Good luck!
    Jen
  • Anita672
    Options
    Lorinalynn, that would put me at 1500 plus exercise calories which have been averaging an additional 250 to 350 calories which I calculate from MFP database or the number of calories shown on the equipment I'm using.

I have to admit eating even more really freaks me out in the sence that I couldn't stand my pants getting tighter when I'm trying to lose.

Thoughts?

Got to say I appreciate you posting replies. Thanks.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Well what are you eating? I cant see your diary
  • ninyaw
    ninyaw Posts: 13
    Options
    For me the 1240ish calories made me feel foggy and tired. How long have you been on the new change with more calories? It takes time for your body to adjust to something new. Isn't the reason to do this to feel better, have more energy, instead of attaining a number? I know how frustrating this is, it's a journey not a destination for sure.

I eat about the same way you do now, it is coming off more slowly for sure, in the form of inches, not weight. I was terrified that I would have to maintain at 1200 calories, so I increased a while back. Celebrate how far you have come, and the healthy positive changes you've made. You are so much more than a number.:happy:
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

Either way, try splitting the difference between 1600 and 1260 (say 1400) to see if that creates a deficit while keeping you happier.

^^^ What I would do^^^

There are tons of people on here that are all about the TDEE/BMR way of doing things and there are those like me... who are not. I cannot eat at my TDEE of 1900 ish or net at my BMR of 1600 ish and lose weight. Can't, it's impossible for my body. Been there, tried it, wasted my time and effort. Shouldn't have tried to switch things up in the beginning. So now I'm back to my original plan. I eat 1100-1300 calories a day. I burn 500-600 calories 4-6 days a week. And, I lose 2 lbs a week consistently. I feel great, I have energy, my body is normal, I'm not starving, I've lost 17% body fat, and I maintain my lean muscle mass.

Are you eating your 1600, burning in the gym and then eating back what you burn? I'd stop eating back what I burn. If your not, then I'd cut down to 1400 like he said.

Good luck!
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

I like this idea...or try scaling back 50 to 100 calories a day at the beginning of each week not to exceed the 1200 calorie min. I hope that made sense.

So this monday - Next Sunday eat around 1500 calories a day. check your measurements and if you feel fine after a week and you are losing stay at that count, but if you hit a wall ...scale down to 1450..and then 1400 and so on
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I eat bout 2500-3000 calories a day depending on my exercising. I eat all my exercise calories back. I am losing bout 4-6lbs a week. Before I was doing this I only lost 4lbs the whole month.

I try to eat really clean, but dont look at this weekend LOL. I eat lean meats, fruits and veggies. Lots of water. A really good multivitamin with mega B vitamin doses. 1450 calories of take out is different than fresh food.

I avoid prepared stuff: meats, sauces, soups.

Dont hesitate to send me a message, I dont mind helping :)
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Try using fitnessfrog.com for your BMR and TDEE. I think you're underestimating your TDEE. If you exercise at all, you need to use light or moderately active. This would put your TDEE 2000-2200, then you would eat at a 15% cut from that, which is 1700-1870. Now, this figures in exercise, so you only eat back to at least your net BMR. Make sense? There's a group on here called "Eat More to Weigh Less"... check it out. Lot of great info. and support.
  • Anita672
    Options
    Jen, I do not have a HRM do I use the MFP database or if on the treadmill or elliptical I use the number on the machine. Thoughts?

Hezzie, I am eating 1200 plus exercise calories back and this has put me at around 1600.

Ninyaw, great words of encouragement. Thanks!!

Mercenary, do I just manually change my calorie level in the settings and slowly cut down as you suggested?

Thanks again!!
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Sometimes plateaus are created not by our diets but by the exercises we do. It sounds like you do the same thing every day. Try changing it up and adding something a little harder. Your body likes the challenge and should respond. I wouldn't change the number of calories just yet.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that this is for everyone, but I've seen it work for many others on here, and I've had personal success with upping calories (even though it seems counter-intuitive) 1260 calories is pretty low, and sometimes the body needs more than that to function properly. I know it's seen as a healthy amount, but it's not a one size fits all.

Last year I was stuck on the last 5lbs for months. It was ages, and I was so frustrated. I hated being in a deficit, and even though I was eating 1500 a day + exercise cals, I didn't like it because..I love food. I was accurately logging and staying within my goals and still not losing!
    Out of annoyance, I upped my cals to 1/2lb a week (1750+ exercise cals) and the last 5lbs came of A LOT easier, and I got to my goal weight.
  • Anita672
    Options
    Moylie, I did use that website to calculate TDEE but I will redo it as you suggested.

I will also check out that group. Thank you.
  • m000nlover
    Options
    50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss , ITS THE CURE

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#axzz1tRHOXGmy
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Without viewing your diary it is hard to say...What i would suggest is to just play with your calories to find your "sweet spot". I know everyone says a calorie is a calorie but I'm not so sure about that. If you were losing at a lower calorie intake then as others have posted just cut back a little at a time. I play with my caloric intake all the time. I think your body gets used to it if you eat the same amount on calories all the time. I often up my calories for a few days then drop it lower for a while. Everyone is different !! My body does not do a lot of carbs very well so I usually go for lower carbs and more protein so play with everything and see what is right for YOU...
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks in advance for your advice or encouragement.

I am 10 lbs away from my goal which sounds great except I've been trying to lose these same 10 lbs for quite awhile!

I have been using MFP with some success but recently was reading all of the posts discussing MFP calorie goals, TDEE, BMR, etc. I had only been eating my calories as set out by MFP which is 1260 to lose 1 lb per week. I am 5' 6", weigh 155 lb, 38 years old. I had put sedentary as my activity level as my job is in an office.

After reading the various posts, I calculated my TDEE as 1744 and my BMR as 1450. I decided to try eating my MFP calories plus any exercise calories to see if that would trigger weight loss.

I've been doing 30 min running/walking intervals, walking/stairs intervals and 60 min walking or elliptical which has pushed my calories into around the 1600 mark which is above my BMR and less than TDEE.

I am weighing, measuring and journaling accurately.

BUT I am not losing (and have even seen a gain of 0.2).

So, of course I am panicking and wondering if I should restrict to the 1260 again. I am feeling good, energetic and happier on 1600 I must note.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and thoughts! I appreciate your help.

You have gone onto maintenance early.

If you were losing on 1200 calories, you had the correct deficit there. Personally, I would go back to what worked before and then once you reach your goal - which you WILL do - you can then up your calories to what you are on now as that will be your maintenance level.

You are quite fortunate actually, because the vast majority of people, once they reach their goal have to try and find their maintenance levels and it is hit and miss before they discover the correct amount, whereas with you, you already know now.
  • jackieirene
    Options
    Anita, hang in there. Count your calories, do your exercise, and eventually the plateau will pass. It is so very hard--very hard tolose weight. I have done it many times, only to gain back some of it. Now, at over 70 yrs. old, I still exercise every week, but the process is slower than ever. Take care. Give yourself soething nurturing that isn't food.
    Sincerely,
    Jackie